Do I need a dining plan?

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
Family of four. Kids are teens. Do I need a dining plan? They seem expensive and I feel we'd do better just picking what to eat each day without a prepaid plan. Also, my wife and daughter are vegetarians and I'm not sure what options they'll have. Thanks.

Probably not. I would bet in your case it would cost a lot more than you will spend out of pocket.

You can do the math if you want.

Only you can really decide that. Maybe check out the menus of the places you are thinking of going and get an idea of what you might order to compare if it might be worth it for you? For us, it was worth it wayyy back in the day when my children were considered children and the plan included a QS, a snack and a TS with an appetizer, entree, dessert and some gratuity included (I forget now whether it was 15% or 18% but it wasn't as much as I typically give so I brought along a stash of $1's & $5's to boost that up). I loved that it was paid for and I loved that I could order anything off the menu and not feel badly about it. When I pay cash I tend to select the least expensive thing that I know I would like where as when I was on the dining plan I remember I got filet mignon at Coral Reef and it was my favorite meal of that vacation.

Since my children are older now (16), the plan has changed quite a bit as have the prices I no longer feel it works for us. I do love the pay ahead kind of concept so what I do is I plan out where we are going, make our ADR's then I price out what I think we will need and put that amount (plus a buffer) on a gift card. Yes, I know this is just a way of playing mind games with myself but this gives me the dining plan feel without the plan.

Ultimately only you can decide if it is worth it for your trip, no you don't NEED it but sometimes people love to have it!

No, you don't need a dining plan. Almost every place to eat offers something vegetarian, but the veggies meals are often priced low enough that the DDP REALLY doesn't = any savings, not in itself.

It also has to fit how you like to eat.

You might find it offers you some convenience, though.

You do not need a plan, and I never suggest folks purchase one without doing the math. My family benefits from a DDP, but I know upfront where we are going to eat, and I have a very good idea what my crew will order.

I just spoke to a neighbor who traveled without one recently. She said the plan was more than they normally ate....and then she told me where they dined and what they ordered! Yikes!!! Given the age of her daughter at travel time, she spent more on food than if she had purchased one. I asked her if she ran the numbers before they left and she said that she did not, but she still feels they saved money. The ate at buffet and character meals, which swallowed up the lions share of the cost of the plan. Never mind lunches, snacks, etc.

I did not argue, but since both of them were shocked at the cost of meals, I suggested that the next time they just check out the menus and prices of the restaurants they plan to dine at. I say that to you as well.

I like the stick the price of the dining plan on a gift card idea.
You've got your costs covered and can select what you want to eat.

There are absolutely loads of vege dishes and weve found wdw is the most accommodating place to eat

My favorite vege meal is at Hollywood studios in 50's PT-meatless meatballs-it's a kids meal and delicious.
I also enjoy the not chicken meal in Liberty inn at Epcot.

I do love the pay ahead kind of concept so what I do is I plan out where we are going, make our ADR's then I price out what I think we will need and put that amount (plus a buffer) on a gift card. Yes, I know this is just a way of playing mind games with myself but this gives me the dining plan feel without the plan.
I wouldn't call it mind games.

I can usually predict very closely what we'll spend on food.

Buffets and fixed-price meals are usually very easy to calculate- unless you happen to go over a holiday when buffet upcharges are common.

OP, that is one small caveat- if you are going over a time of year that WDW considers 'a holiday season' then meal prices get jacked. Sometimes, WDW also offers room/board/ticket packages that make the DDP a good deal for your group. Unfortunately, the DDP is all or nothing. Unless you have two hotel rooms booked. If so, one can be a package, and one booked as a non-package. But, paying for meals gets very cumbersome when part of your group is on the DDP, and part of your group isn't.

QS meals are also fairly east to predict, as pricing is fairly consistent. It is also pretty easy to just ask everyone to keep their meals within your set budget.

The hardest is the non-buffet TS, but there too coming up with a range is easy of you look at the menu.

the one budget area I can't predict is the Japan gift shop! We're largely immune to most of the gift shops, except that one. We always find interesting items there!

We've been before several times with three adults and one child. We first got the dining plan, but even with two meals and a snack, it was way way too much food for us. Plus, if you get the dining plan, typically you are not eligible for a discount at the Disney Resorts. So, the past few trips, we have switched to getting the best resort discount we can, using Garden Grocer to deliver items (water, yogurt, fruit, etc) suitable for keeping in the hotel room, and paying as we go for meals (typically getting smaller appetizer sized portions, or sharing meals large enough for two). We even reserve a couple of nights out for a nice sit down meal at several of the parks, and we still end up money ahead. Of course, it all depends on your personal situation. If you have teenagers or adults who are bottomless pits when it comes to meals, the meal plan may make more sense.

I should add, if you have two vegetarians in your group, then menu places will cost you far less than the buffets! Also- NEW for 2018 - some alcohol is now included in the DDP. That was never the case before, and that makes a big difference!

Another option you might consider - given your group, is the club level, if you are already planning to stay at a deluxe resort. Club level adds about $150 per night to the cost of the room. For that $150, you get a continental breakfast (7-10am), beer, wine, light snacks mid-day, desserts (8-10pm), appetizers (5-7pm), and all the non-alcoholic beverages you want (coffee, soft drinks).

There's no bacon/pancakes or eggs to order (though most now offer hard boiled eggs), and the appetizers are variable.

To eat, you have to go to you the lounge at your hotel. In short, if is great for breakfast and folks who go back to the resort before 10pm for some kind of break.

The great thing about the lounge though is that they offer lots of fresh produce and foods that are great for vegetarians! Breakfast has lots of fruit, yogurt, breads, cereal, oatmeal. The appetizer hour always has veggie trays, cheese, dips like hummus, and often salads (depending on which resort you choose). Many offer peanut butter and/or trail mix part of the day.

Desserts are cookies, tarts, etc. Things in small portions. There's also pretty much always a basket of apples/oranges out.

I have a teen that is not a big eater. She and I are going for 8 days in May just the 2 of us. I really wanted to go with the Dining Plan especially with the addition of alcoholic drinks. I tend to order cheaply and rarely would spend $10-12 on a drink. I picked out all of the places that I knew we will eat at, 3 being Character Meals. I had us both getting entrees and specialty drinks for all meals and us both getting dessert at table service places. Even ordering the most expensive options at all places the Dining Plan was still a bit more expensive then out of pocket. The reality is that at most quick service places we will be sharing a meal. Flame Tree BBQ and Pecos Bill both have platters that are more than enough food for two regular eaters. We will not be getting two desserts at each meal because we can't eat that much. So taking that into account it doesn't make sense for us to use the plan.
I have done a lot of research on using the plan. I have found very few people that have said that they saved money with it. Many post that they have left over credits and use them to bring snacks home. Those who like it seem to like the fact that the meals are already paid for and its a convenience thing more than a cost savings thing.

I have just decided that we are going to eat like we are on the plan and get whatever drinks, desserts and snacks we want, something I never do, and pay out of pocket.

Well, my family needs a dining plan. Yours may not, especially with two vegetarians, unless the rest of the party are big eaters.We did QS for a short trip with two vegetarians, and we did break even, but I ate a lot of other people's credits, and the other non-vegetarian ate fairly high end stuff, despite having a lighter appetite. QS was also a better value at that time than it is now. If you plan on a lot of buffet/character meals, or have family members who'd eat extra meals, it could make sense. One of the things to remember is that credits don't have to be used in order, all in one day, or by one person. You can always pay out of pocket for an inexpensive item and save the credit if you'll use it later. I strongly recommend taking a look at menus and running some numbers.

It takes a very specific demographic to come out ahead on the dining plan. Usually those with young children doing a lot of character meals have an advantage. Also those doing the deluxe plan with many signature meals can save on the plan. For our situation, we have family that lives in Florida and joins us for a couple days of our trip. We get the deluxe plan and use our credits for everyone while they are visiting.

A family of four with teens would have to be ordering the most expensive options everywhere to save money on any of the dining plans. Since your wife and daughter are vegetarian, which are never the more expensive meal options, I can not imagine the dining plan saving you money.

Also keep in mind, Disney knows how DDP users think. In short, the most expensive entrees aren't necessarily the best items on each menu.

Further, on the DDP you still have to pay tax (6.5%) and tip at TS locations. The difference can be significant between low and high price menu items. As a rough estimate:

At Tony's TS:
Tax + 20% tip on 4 pizzas (just the pizza)= $20.67
Tax + 20% on 4 steaks = $36.04

At Trattoria Del Forno:

Tax+ tip on 4 rollatini = $19.08
Tax + tip on 4 whole roasted fish = $42.40

And these numbers are just for the entrées.

DH & I normally do the dining plan but we have decided to put that money on a gift card this time. I plan to purchase gift cards equivalent to what the dining plan would cost us. So I'm thinking we should be fine. Also, I will be purchasing my Disney gift cards from Target so that's a 5% savings right off the top.

Also keep in mind, Disney knows how DDP users think. In short, the most expensive entrees aren't necessarily the best items on each menu.

Further, on the DDP you still have to pay tax (6.5%) and tip at TS locations. The difference can be significant between low and high price menu items. As a rough estimate:

At Tony's TS:
Tax + 20% tip on 4 pizzas (just the pizza)= $20.67
Tax + 20% on 4 steaks = $36.04

At Trattoria Del Forno:

Tax+ tip on 4 rollatini = $19.08
Tax + tip on 4 whole roasted fish = $42.40

And these numbers are just for the entrées.

Tax is included with all covered DDP purchases. This includes CS, TS and snacks purchased using the plan.

Tips are expected with or without the plan.

I know that gratuities add up, but for people who dine using TS meals, I think that it is reasonable to consider the difference between the tips that may be added due to a more expensive item can be a wash when you consider that you are not paying tax on any of the purchases...not snacks, not on included beverages, and not on counter service meals.

Family of four. Kids are teens. Do I need a dining plan? They seem expensive and I feel we'd do better just picking what to eat each day without a prepaid plan. Also, my wife and daughter are vegetarians and I'm not sure what options they'll have. Thanks.
We're in the same boat. Half our family are vegetarians. There are quite a few options for sure, but I'm not sure the dining plan makes sense for vegetarians.

We're in the same boat. Half our family are vegetarians. There are quite a few options for sure, but I'm not sure the dining plan makes sense for vegetarians.

This is why I always suggest folks do some research before jumping in or out of dining plans. It bafffles me when someone arbitrarily decides what is the best route for another family but has based that decision on their own dining habits. The plans generally work for my family, but I fully understand that they are not the best purchase for others, and that more than a bottom line goes into the decision making process. ADR's are something my family fully embraces, but I know people who would rather chew glass and die than be tied to "appointments" for dinner.

Just want to make this clear for those coming along later: If on DDP, you do NOT also pay the tax on your meals, it is included. However, when doing the math, you DO need to include the tax for your OOP calculations, because you will pay the tax for anything OOP.

Just want to make this clear for those coming along later: If on DDP, you do NOT also pay the tax on your meals, it is included. However, when doing the math, you DO need to include the tax for your OOP calculations, because you will pay the tax for anything OOP.

Thank you! Thank you! The meals tax in Disney is not inexpensive so I feel strongly that while you have to consider gratuities on the DDP as part of the expense, you really need to add tax as part of teh expense if you really want to compare the costs between the two accurately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter