Do I really need the Unlimited Express pass...going August 21 -25th

myworldisjam

Mouseketeer
This will be our first trip in 10 years and at first I really wanted the express pass so I booked Royal Pacific. Now looking at the price difference I'm second guessing myself. Will I really need it this time of year and going so many day?

When park hours are cut back at the end of August, it’s not a problem

Crowds are gone and a person has less time for ride waits
Enough park time in the day to cover the rides and things to do in the parks

We're also planning a trip for late August and am trying to decide if the huge price difference is worth it.

Last summer was my first trip. It was during this time frame (Aug 17 - Aug 25th 2017). I think the answer to your question depends on what you mean by NEED. Will you be able to experience all of the rides at least once during your stay without UExp? Yes. Will you be waiting in lines greater than 30 minutes in the afternoons if you don't have UExp -- yes, definitely. Greater than 60 minutes? Yes, if you want to try the HP rides or Kong in the afternoon, expect a long wait.

I stayed at HRH. I thought that it worth the extra money to have UExp as well as the short walk to the park. I'm planning on the same this summer.

As for Volcano Bay, I really wish the UExp included this park.

We have done an early September stay (from the 1st to the 13th). We did not “need” EP then (this was in 2015).

We have been in the parks in September for a few years and never had EPs. It is very manageable without it, but of course depends on the composition of the group, how mobile you are and how you want to do the parks.

If you show up early (use EE) you will be able to get A LOT done. We usually do the mornings until maybe lunch. Then we head back to the hotel and come back when it is cooler and less crowded in the parks.

And if you are planning to go to Volcano Bay often (something I highly recommend) then Cabana Bay is the way to go. Hotel guests have their own entrance and it takes minutes to walk from some rooms in CBBR to VB.

The last week of August (unless it happens to bump up against labor day) is one of the slowest times of the whole year, basically the gap when most kids go back to school and Labor day weekend tends to be really slow (at all parks). I'd say not (and if somehow is, you can still get it then)

Being very hot and humid and start start of the peak part of hurricane season is about the only downside.

I am heading there for the first time August 13-14
trying to decide if it is worth an extra $800 !!!! :scared:
we are planning 2 days and then 4 at Disney
I see that I can get a 5 day Universal pass for only $20 more a person.... but do I need 5 days there
should I put the money into the EP instead ?
$119 a person is just so much on top of the ticket price !!?

Are you staying onsite at UO the two days you are doing the parks?

I would not buy a 5 day ticket pass if only doing 2 park days

Ticket pass expires within a specific time period

I understand the hesitation to buy Express in advance.
It is expensive to add on to a planned trip

When going to the parks in the summer, never know in advance what day or when it will rain.
The parks clear out quite a bit in a heavy rain.
Rides are open in all types of weather, many rides at the Studios are inside or covered.
EP is not a necessity if it rains for most of the day.

For those buying ep in advance, you do worry if it will be a rainy day and the ep won't be needed.

Express pass was very useful for us last may in islands of adventure, was essentially useless at universal studios since nearly everything is screen based and youre just waiting for the movie to finish for the next set of people to be let in.

Let's concentrate on the month of August to help myworldisjam's question.

The month is August where the help is needed.

Question that was posed was, is the ep needed when going 4 days to the parks ?

So we need to stay on topic here to help the poster..

By staying at RPR, you get the EP included

You will easily be able to pace yourself and cover both parks in your time period.
Catching the shows and street entertainment will take up ride time, but, you will be able to catch it all.

Might want to do a couple of pool breaks at the hotel in the mid afternoon
That sun can really tire a person out in the parks.

Kids in FL and GA schools are mostly back to school in early August, so my guess is that it won't be as needed. No one wants to pull their kids off from school during he second or third week of school.

May is another matter because kids in southern schools are off for summer starting the week before Memorial Day.

No- I think with 4 park days you would be fine without EP. You'll have plenty of time to work around long wait times. We used to go late August when my sons were in school and lines were short. We did stay onsite with EP and used it- but the regular lines were not that long. We usually do what others don't. While most open the park and go to Harry Potter rides, we go to the others first and HP later in the day before closing. We also took advantage of short lines to do the regular queue lines which have more details then the EP lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter