"Do Not Disturb" at the Resorts?

Susan555

Mouseketeer
Should we not need any towels, soaps, etc, for a few nights of our 9 night stay, will we be able to just leave a "do not disturb" sign on the door all day? I've had a problem with this at a Holiday Inn before, so I'm wondering if they will have a problem with just passing our room by on those days.

Most states require the hotel to check each room every several days to make sure everything is ok.

Most states require the hotel to check each room every several days to make sure everything is ok.

We wouldn't do it for more than one day at a time - I imagine we'd need new towels and such every other day. I'm just used to staying in timeshares where there's no maid service and no one enters your room at all, so the daily entry of the housekeeping staff is a bit bothersome to me.

You should probably give a call to housekeeping the mornings that you don't want service. Or if you happen to catch your housekeeper near your door you can also let them know then.

I don't think the Do Not Disturb sign would work all day. Many people leave the room and forget to take the sign down, so housekeeping will still check and clean the room.

We left our "do not disturb" sign on our door all day on Christmas Day at WL. Housekeeping called later in the day and left us a voice mail that they took note of our sign and if we should need housekeeping services or towels etc. to call them and they will help as much as they can.

We left our "do not disturb" sign on our door all day on Christmas Day at WL. Housekeeping called later in the day and left us a voice mail that they took note of our sign and if we should need housekeeping services or towels etc. to call them and they will help as much as they can.
We left our "do not disturb" sign out all day at the Poly (oops...thought we had grabbed that off on the way out) and when we returned we saw it and had two messages from mousekeeping. The first saying that they saw our sign and would check again later and if we wanted service to take it down. The second one left that evening said that they had purposefully skipped our room because of the sign and that if we needed fresh towels or our garbages emptied we could call down.

Housekeeping will have to check each room every day. All hotels are like that. I've had the Do Not Diturb sign on the door well past 1:00 at a non Disney hotel and got called by the housekeeper. She said my room was the last one she had before she could go home.

Calling the night before doesn't work because you might have a different housekeeper. Call that day and say you don't need anything. Or, leave notes in your room indicating what you need and don't need. I've even called that day and still had housekeeping stop in the room.

We've stayed in our room while the housekeeper was cleaning the room. Every time we said we didn't need something, she really wasn't that happy. It's her job and she wants to do it well.

Not worrying about housekeeping issues is what I like best about DVC. They onlycome on the fourth day for new towels and trash pick-up and then at the 7th for a full cleaning(but we usually only stay for 5 nights). The other days are at our leisure about when to leave and return. Washer and dryer lets us do our towels inbetween with our clothes. We also tend to be non bedmakers on vacation and this is just fine with us(although ds does have to put sleep sofa away each morning if we are in 1 bedroom).

Not worrying about housekeeping issues is what I like best about DVC. They onlycome on the fourth day for new towels and trash pick-up and then at the 7th for a full cleaning(but we usually only stay for 5 nights). The other days are at our leisure about when to leave and return. Washer and dryer lets us do our towels inbetween with our clothes. We also tend to be non bedmakers on vacation and this is just fine with us(although ds does have to put sleep sofa away each morning if we are in 1 bedroom).

That's what I'm accustomed to since we always stay in a timeshare when we travel, so the whole "hotel housekeeping" thing kind of freaks me out. We're generally only in a hotel one night, so we're long gone by the time housekeeping shows up. I'm not used to extended stays in a hotel.

Should we not need any towels, soaps, etc, for a few nights of our 9 night stay, will we be able to just leave a "do not disturb" sign on the door all day? I've had a problem with this at a Holiday Inn before, so I'm wondering if they will have a problem with just passing our room by on those days.
The housekeepers and general management of the resort are there at your disposal. Don't feel apprehensive in dealing with them on times of special needs and concerns, especially when you ask nicely.

At first I thought that you really needed to not be disturbed all day. That's my dh idea of a dream vacation not mine.

Keep dreaming honey:love: !

Monica

My in-laws checked into the YC last july and were assigned a room(we were also staying a theYC and had checked in a few days early) when we went to the room there was a do not disturb sign on the door and a YC staff member checked for us, apparently the occupants had checked out via phone and had not left. I dont think I would ever trust a Do not disturb sign.

At SoG in April we had a button next to our door that we could push if we did not need housekeeping . It lit up a light outside of the door to inform the housekeeper.

If you do not need housekeeping call them from your room phone, and let them know.

This way you will not be disturbed and your maid can check you off her list. If you just put out a sign and no notice, they are going to try and contact you so she can sign off her rooms.

That's what I'm accustomed to since we always stay in a timeshare when we travel, so the whole "hotel housekeeping" thing kind of freaks me out. We're generally only in a hotel one night, so we're long gone by the time housekeeping shows up. I'm not used to extended stays in a hotel.

I'm just curious - what "freaks" you out about housekeeping entering the room? If it's because you have personal items in there, trust me, they don't care. The only thing I "tidy up" before we leave is to make sure there's nothing on the beds. If it's because of valuables, I did call housekeeping once to request no service for the day. I left my laptop on the bed because I didn't think they would be there. I came back and found the bed made. And my laptop replaced almost exactly where I left it, just on top of the made bed.

About the only thing that bugs us about housekeeping is when they take the soap from the shower (that's been used twice) and replace it.

And I'm just curious, not flaming you or anything.

I think it will work a day at a time, but not consecutive days. DH and I had the DND up for a little too long one day and we didn't get any service. We wanted them to clean the room too!

I like my privacy when we travel. A few times while staying at AKL we left the room in a hurry and left dirty clothes and such laying around. I purposely put out the Do Not Disturb sign because I did not want housekeeping to come in and have to handle my dirty clothes and underwear. Both times we came back to the room to find they had entered the room and cleaned things, and touched our personal belongings.

On the same trip we came back to the room early one day, late am or early afternoon, with tired kids, and every one was sleeping with do not disturb sign posted on door. Housekeeping banged and woke everyone up :confused3

Honestly, I got the impression they did not want to have to come back to clean later in the day, so they just disregarded the sign and came in to get it done. I wouldn't mind if they came in and saw the room a mess and left after checking the room or what ever, but I did mind them coming in and moving my stuff. Not once, or twice, but three days out of 7 :sad2:

Why don't you go over to the DVC board and rent points from a member to use their timeshare at Disney. This way you wouldn't have to worry about housekeeping probably more than once during your stay.:thumbsup2

I know that at POFQ when you leave the sign out the will leave a bag on the door with fresh towels coffee and soaps. This is what they did for us and we never asked, just left the sign out one day.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter