Do our American friends strive to visit the UK?

Hi Tracy

You would enjoy England if you like history, it is one thing we are big on. You guys cant hold a candle to us as far as thats concerned. Ok, so you win lots of Olympic golds, but we have lots mors castles.

And dont get me started on 'Big Bucks' you know how much it costs us lot to visit your wonderful country. But, its worth every penny/cent.

Cheers

Just got up I take it? Whats for breakfast? lol

Steve

stevechase said:
Hi there, a common misunderstanding, the Union Flag is its proper name. It should only be called a Union Jack when flown from a ship...

Oops, sorry! No offense meant...I've just always heard it called the Union Jack. Even my grandmother from England called it that :)

No, I was only being English, Almost everyone calls it the Union Jack. I only found out about 5 years back, so I feel the need to be a clever devil and tell everyone.

No offence taken at all

Steve

stevechase said:
Hi there, a common misunderstanding, the Union Flag is its proper name. It should only be called a Union Jack when flown from a ship.

And being even more ENGLISH, The St George Cross is the real English flag, the scots will have a moan, but theats what they like to do anyway. lol

all together now "Land of hope and Glory, Mother of the free........"

Steve

Ahh but we have a lovely Blue flag and white and far better food :banana: Oh Flower of Scotland, when will we see yer lights again..... (plus we're only a joint country when Scotland get some glory ;-)

Scotland.........Glory.......... no sorry you lost me there for a minute! lol, only kidding, I know you supported us through the WC and must have been gutted when we went out!

Steve

Hey everyone,

American Military here living in England. :cool1: We have been here now for 4 years and still love it. I tell my DH that all americans need to live in Europe or at least visit.

Both my children go to British school in the small village we live in. It is truelly fantastic. I could not ask for anything more. The people here are friendly and we have made lots of English friends. You should here my daughters accent, really sweet.

We have covered most of the southern parts of England. I can say it is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited. Green is a word that comes to mind. Most all British love their gardens so flowers are everywhere, I love it. The local outdoor markets are a treasure and if you visit you have to go to one and just walk around.

We have a couple more years here still and hope to hit all the hotspots of the UK. We have visited tons of other countries while here too, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, France (Paris Disney of course). It is easy to hop on one of the inexpensive airlines to the continent to travel around, fun and easy :thumbsup2

Any questions PM me :)

Kerri ;)

I L-O-V-E, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE :love: America! I think that we have the best country on Earth. We have traveled throughout the U.S. - New York, the Midwest, all of the southern states, the Gulf of Mexico, Texas, California, a cattle drive in Montana, etc. etc.

BUT... I have never been oversees. :sad: I would like to travel to many places in Europe. I think it would be less intimidating to begin in England because there wouldn't be a language barrier.

My great grandfather was born and raised in Manchester, England. I have pictures of him fox hunting. I think that I would like to visit there and London (You know the usual tourist stuff- Changing of the Guard, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, London Eye, etc. etc.).

Just a thought that I found interesting - One time when we were in New York, we met a couple from England. Living in America, I just thought that all people from England had a British accent. When I told her of my great grandfather's ancestry, she told me that folks from Manchester have a different dialect. I thought Hmmm. Well, she explained to me that different parts of England have different accents. Like here in America: New York accent, Boston accent, Southern accent, Wisconsin accent, etc. I thought that was interesting.

stevechase said:
Scotland.........Glory.......... no sorry you lost me there for a minute! lol, only kidding, I know you supported us through the WC and must have been gutted when we went out!

Steve

Is that the football you were talking about? 23 men chasing a ball round a field for 90 minutes??? Nah give me rugby any day :wave:

Groovee said:
Is that the football you were talking about? 23 men chasing a ball round a field for 90 minutes??? Nah give me rugby any day :wave:

See, this is why you cant qualify anymore, 23 men would be cheating, its only 11 a side. Mind you if we did give you a man advantage would you still beat Andora?

ENgerlanndddd!!

Rather than this turn into a scot/eng battle, I have to say when you have qualified fror the world cup and such, I have stood arm in arm in the pub wishing you well, I love to see the scots at the world cup. In fact in 98 I was lucky enough to be at the opening game where you just lost to Brazil.

Cheers

Steve

stevechase said:
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this, my aplogies if not.

Hoping that most of you on this particular forum are from the land of the free I have always wandered about something.

Here is the sometimes sunny UK we dream of visiting Disney World, we are going back in July 2007 for what will be our 3rd in total (and once to Paris), and although it is a year away it is something we are all looking forward to.

I think part of the appeal is that you get to go to the USA. I know nowadays that almost all of the world is pretty much accesible without any problems, but there is still something about the US.

So my question, for those of you still awake, do the Americans dream of visiting the UK in the same was we do the US, and if so, where about in the UK?

Thanks all, have a great day

Steve
Stourbridge, West Midlands, UK
My parents are from Scotland,I have one Aunt over here and many Aunts,Uncles and cousins I've never met over there. I've wanted to go over but my father has always said "There's nothing to do over there except drink in the pubs,you'd be bored to death"

stevechase said:
Hi Tracy

You would enjoy England if you like history, it is one thing we are big on. You guys cant hold a candle to us as far as thats concerned. Ok, so you win lots of Olympic golds, but we have lots mors castles.

And dont get me started on 'Big Bucks' you know how much it costs us lot to visit your wonderful country. But, its worth every penny/cent.

Cheers

Just got up I take it? Whats for breakfast? lol

Steve
My parents get newspapers sent to them from over there and the way they figure it,you guys get better advertised deals to go to WDW than we do.

Whew, you guys sure make it tough on a person to decide where they want to go! :teeth: I've always wanted to go to England AND Scotland! there is just something about Scotland that has always called to me...I know, sounds strange coming from an American but there it is. Besides, I still have to add Ireland to that list...after all, I am a MURPHY! :thumbsup2

stevechase said:
So my question, for those of you still awake, do the Americans dream of visiting the UK in the same was we do the US, and if so, where about in the UK?

Are you kidding me?? I spend the happiest three and a half months of my life in London in college, and cried when I had to leave. I'll be visiting your fair country with my friend in late January, early February (without DH, sniff) and will finally see where Louisa Musgrove fell.

We meet a ton of really nice folks from the UK during our Disney vacation this spring, seems like the exchange rate made it an attractive vacation spot this year. We visited the UK several years ago and loved it. We stayed in London but got a chance to take several trips outside to see castles and country side. We also went to Paris and were very disappointed with the not-so-friendly folks in that city but the food was awesome. I couldn't find a green salad anywhere in London and not a fan of those mushy bangers but I loved the fish and chips and Orgenia Drinks. I think the best part was the friendly people and the tube (different from Midwest Suburbia where you drive forever daily).We would love to take our kids back for a visit when they are older. Loved the history and amazed how things are built to last unlike the US. We are 3rd generation Americans with our grandparents from U.K., Germany, Poland, Russia and Ireland.

I dream of someday visiting Europe and the UK is on the top of my "must see" list if I ever make it over there. To see Big Ben and Buckingham Palace would be unbelievable, and your countryside is breathtaking. There is plenty to see and do here in the U.S. but there is something about Europe... I love how you value history. We are all about tearing down, and building new. You have buildings there that are older than our country! You have structures that were around when Jesus walked the earth. I can't even wrap my mind around that. Going to Europe is one of my greatest dreams. Maybe someday I'll actually be able to do it.

DH and I went for 2 weeks about 8 years ago...actually took out a home equity loan to make that dream come true. It was the best thing we ever did for ourselves. We spent a week in London doing all the tourist things and then the next week in Liverpool (DH is Beatles nut), Edinburgh and Loch Ness. Took day trips to Bath, Stonehenge and Paris. This was a dream of ours and we can't wait to go back again. I want to ride the London Eye!!!

Hi Steve,

I would love to go! Maybe someday when we have alittle extra $. But I have friends that are leaving tomorrow for the UK and then over to Ireland. They are taking all 3 of their children, its a once in a life time trip for them and they can't wait!!! :sunny:

I used to dream about visiting England and particulary Scotland (I am of Scottish descent). I fulfilled my dream 10 years ago. Now my dream is to visit all the National Parks in America, after we visit WDW in October, of course!

Mw DW and went to the UK (London, Canterbury, Salisbury, Brighton, Stratford) in 1998 and she also took a group of theater students to London and Stratford in 2001.

We love the history, culture, countryside and the beautiful architecture. We plan to go back when our DSes are old enough to appreciate what they will see.

I think that travel from UK to the states is exciting for a variety of reasons. The openness (space) and variety of the US is very different than what is in Europe. From the beaches & Parks of Florida & California to a diversity of cities like NY, San Fran, LA, & Boston, to the mountains of the East and the Rockies of the West, the US has a lot to offer.

I grew up within a couple of hours drive from Yellowstone National Park and the Tetons and now I live in the mountains of Colorado with a view of the 14,110 foot Pikes Peak out my window. I feel a little spoiled!

Perhaps the desire to come to America now is similar to the desire of the Colonists when they settled America from England in the 1500-1700's.

Regardless, I know there is kinship, somewhat like cousins that sometimes feud but are still family, that keeps the Yanks & the Brits close!

:boat: :boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter