Do solos get the "lesser" rooms?

wdwcindy

"Where are you going on vacation?...Oh, nevermind.
I have traveled solo to WDW a few times (usually the Beach Club) and the past couple times it seems to me I have gotten a "lesser" room...smaller, one queen bed, etc. You know, the rooms they had to adjust space-wise to fit everything on that floor. Has anyone else experienced this? Would you make it a point to ask for a "normal" room?

Just curious what others would do.

Thanks! ::MickeyMo

one time traveling with my mother - we got that room.....

It was horrible! the people next door had kids who were constantly trying to come in - connecting rooms....

so no I don't think you are being select to receive a bad room,

however I would write to WDW and tell them how displeased you were to recieve that room. WDW should do away with these things....

I have stayed at POR and Pop as well as DVC resorts as a single person and got the same room as when I had guests with me.

of course you could do the thing I was really tempted to do - ask for half of my money back - I got only a half room (one queen bed - not two queen beds) - so I was very tempted to demand half my money back!!!

although I got told that in this last update (last year) - they have done away with this less than whole rooms. (I don't believe it unless I see it)

This has not been my experience. On my solo trips I have been upgraded at no extra charge from a standard room at AKL to a pool view. At CSR I had requested casitas but they couldn't give me this, I got a cabanas corner room with a view of the lagoon and just a few steps away from El Centro. I was very pleased. When i couldn't get my 1st request I simply explained I was staying solo and would not want to be too far away from everything. I was a little worried about coming back late at night from the parks. At POFQ I had a standard booked as well and had a nice view of a fountain, and at POR I asked to be close to everything because I was nervous about walking too far alone at night, again they looked at the room I was initially booked for and said they'd give me something closer. I was really pleased.I was surprised because I thought they might keep these rooms with the trundle beds for larger families since they sleep 5. I think they try to be very accommodating if at all possible :)
Kathe

I got a room with one queen sized bed when I stayed at the Beach Club solo, but I liked it. It had a couch in it, and it was nice to be able to sit and watch TV in the morning while I ate breakfast.

Karen

I returned from a solo trip this past December 2004, stayed at the BWI, I loved the room I received, I requested a regular standard room and received a spacious room with a king bed that included a chair in the corner which I enjoyed in the evening while watching TV, had a garden view and since it was a corner room, it had two large windows on each side of the room, wow what a treat. In November 2003 I stayed at the WL, requested a standard room and received a courtyard view (facing pool and lake) with 2 queen beds, maybe that was my birthday gift from Disney. Have not been disappointed yet. :cheer2:

I haven't gotten a bad room assignment on my solo trips (the All-Stars come in only two flavors, once you get past the decor). I do think I've gotten a bad table at a restaurant, though.

I was upgraded on my last solo trip at Coronado Springs - given a waterview in the cabanas. Absolutely beautiful sunrise! Gail :rotfl2:

Have to vote with the I get better rooms when I travel Solo group.. I don't know if it is just because i am so Happy and cheerful when I approach the desk and maybe the CM's are wishing they could be me and give me what they would like?? :rotfl: But at the Swan and the Dolphin I got a Deluxe room.. the one with the king size bed and the pull out couch.. like a little studio... the room I got in the Dolphin had the 2 Balconies.. that one was really cool!!! At POFQ.. I just got a regular room.. I dont think there are many different options there... at POP I got a nice King size room.. WL I got bumped to a MK view and concierge floor.. don't know quite how that happened! :goodvibes But I really don't think you get treated any worse by CM's... in my case I feel I get treated the same.. and sometimes just a little bit better :cool1:

Just remember.. if you are unhappy with your room assignment.. do not take the room... just go back to the front desk and NICELY let them know you would prefer a different room... you may have to wait.. but they will do it for you... just dont be afraid to ask.

Kathy :wave:

I definately believe that sometimes I did get a bad room because I was solo!! I am "Queen of the Boonies"! :teeth:

When I stayed at CBR, I was placed in Trinidad South which is a loooong walk to anywhere! When I was still at check-in and I found out my room was there, I politely told the CM that I did not really want Trinidad South. She said it was a great spot, and maybe tomorrow if I did not like it, maybe I could switch. She made no offer to switch me then. Yeah, I know I should have been super assertive or I get walked all over, but I glumly accepted my room. It was OK, but I got a definate sense of isolation, which is not what I want on a solo trip!l Walks were so long that I ended up driving to the food courts. :(

Another time as a solo, I got the farthest room in the highest floor of Casita 3 in CSR. My room even had the highest room number for the whole building, so literally it was the last room! The parks weren't crowded that week, so I hoped for a decent room, but no! Once again, I get the sense of isolation! I swear I was the only one on that floor! Casita 3 has four floors, as the rest have three, and I never passed anyone up there! :eek:

I stayed at WL last year, and I thought I was safe from the boonies at a deluxe, but I was wrong! When I checked in, they gave me a king bed with a woods view which sounded nice! I was thrilled until I arrived at the room - I was ground floor directly next to a loading deck! The last thing a solo female wants is ground floor next to where trucks constantly arrive with who knows is around. I went back to the desk and met the same CM, but she said it was a great room, and sorry I was not happy, and try it out. I already moved all my stuff so I just accepted it. The room turned out OK, but next time I will pay for Courtyard view!!!

I found French Quarter is great since it so small that there aren't any horribly bad locations. I always got great locations there! :) Also Animal Kingdom Lodge gave me a wonderful upgrade with a wonderful pool/safari view on the 5th floor! :cloud9:

I won't even get into how Port Orleans Riverside twice would not let me have an Aligator Bayou room since I was not a family of five, yet many others couples/solos here on the DIS got AB without a problem! :sad2:

I could go on and on! I most certainly think I got lesser rooms as a solo, so I just accept it now and not worry anymore! :teeth:

I've found that WDW is more than accomodating for solo travelers. I was upgraded from standard view to water view at POR in 2002. I originally was supposed to be placed in Alligator Bayou, but with the 'backwoods' feel to that section, I didn't feel comfortable staying there being a single female, especially when coming back from a park alone at night. I know that I was paranoid about nothing, but I didn't feel comfortable about that location. I went to the front desk the next morning, and the CM I spoke with told me that while I'd have to wait until after the 3PM check-in time, they'd be able to move me to a room in Parterre Place, and he upgraded me for free. No problem - I wasn't complaining! :)

I've been upgraded for free at the Dolphin also, from standard view to a Jr. Suite (talk about an upgrade!). I'm sure this had something to do with my SPG membership, but it was definately a nice upgrade (this was over Labor Day weekend 2 years ago - the parks were dead!).

AKL also gave me a fantastic room right off the lobby (I paid for and received a pool view room, no upgrade this time, but I honestly wasn't expecting one). Great location, and just a short elevator ride down to the Mara.

WDW definately treats solos very well!

I didn't get an upgrade, but upon check-in when the CM noticed I was solo she checked around for a room that was available right away (about noon) so that I could get in and settled. I ended up with a second-floor room at the corner of Jazz Inn facing the piano pool. The location was fine - front of building but with minimal noisy traffic (pool noise was another issue entirely). I'm off to POP for the first time soon and am curious to see what I end up with. :)

I think that possibly it is where your staying that is causing the undesirable room. Most of the other properties don't have that off room size so more than likely you'll get what everyone else is getting. But I can see why the CM would assign that room to a solo right off and they probably looked at it that way as you've managed to get it more than once. I say change hotels.

I truly think it depends on the room assigner and how experienced they are at their jobs. Additionally, time of year has an impact. When I've gone, I've basically gotten what I've asked for except a king bed. This is the one thing that does tick me off. With all the families heading to Disney, why can't they offer a solo a king bed room at the same price as a twin/queen room. Last time I was at PORS, they wanted the extra $15 for a king room. Needless to say I had two beds in my room. I can understand them not wanting to provide a 5 person bedroom to a solo in the busy season but in the offseason they should give you what you request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter