Do we need a car?

go cowboys

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Greetings. We are off to OKW in one week and I am debating on whether to get a rental car. We have always used Happy Limo in the past and haven't needed to get a car, but I have heard that OKW is spread out and people love it because you can drive right up to the door. We are traveling with 4 kids and my mother-in-law. I have found a good deal with alamo but it is still 100.00 more than Happy limo.

We always get a car. We find that we sometimes like to go offsite for meals and shopping, and if we want to visit Seaworld, Universal or another non-Disney attraction, it is no problem. Also, if we plan to be in a park until closing, it is sometimes easier and faster to jump in your own car at the end of a long day rather than stand in line for a standing room only bus.

That being said, we do make extensive use of the Disney transportation system, which is both, efficient and a great way of meeting and chatting with other Disney enthusiasts :)

Chris, Jean & Patrick

:sunny:
go cowboys said:
Greetings. We are off to OKW in one week and I am debating on whether to get a rental car. We have always used Happy Limo in the past and haven't needed to get a car, but I have heard that OKW is spread out and people love it because you can drive right up to the door. We are traveling with 4 kids and my mother-in-law. I have found a good deal with alamo but it is still 100.00 more than Happy limo.

We used a towncar service and Disney transportation in the past. Now we get a rental. We have wheelchair and the car is just easier then buses and boats for getting around on property. It also makes moving around easier for say going to a resort for dinner or boating in the afternoon.

How long is your trip?
I always like to have a car for trips to the supermarket and to go to church. If it is a short stay, then I have done without a car. On those occasions Disney transportation has worked well.
I have also, rented midstream. There are several rental car companies on property or in the Buena Vista area. (Budget is at Doubletree on Hotel Plaza Blvd. I took Dis bus to DD and then I walked to Doubletree. Budget said they would have picked me up at Old Key West if I had called.)

Anyway, why pay Happy Limo if you could do Magical Express for free?

Magical Express is free, but you must wait for the bus to fill, go to other resorts before yours and return trip may be way earlier than you really need to be there.

Happy limo is faster because they are waiting for you. Its more conveinient because they go directly to your resort and they will stop and let you get groceries. A must for 6 people and one still in diapers. We even get them to drive through someplace for a quick bite after a day of travelling. They are GREAT!

I guess the conveinence is worth the 100.00 round trip price for my family. It really is nice and when Disney stops doing Magical Express for free,(and you know they will) I highly recommend it for you.

We were at OKW last April with two little ones (3 and 4)....I am so glad we had a car!! With small children, I would not stay at OKW without a car...we drove everywhere.

:wave:

Beca

I think it really depends on what you're doing....
We were at OKW for 8 days, only doing Disney, the 4 of us (kids were 6 and 8 at the time). We parked our car and never used it the whole time we were there! The busses were great, and we felt more like we were on vacation driving our own car for some reason! Getting groceries could be a problem - the resort does have it's own shop - but it's limited and the prices are high. If you're planning on doing anything outside of WDW - a car might make a lot of sense! Have fun!

For us we have done it both ways, car no car. We prefer a car. It just allows us to the freedom to go offsite once and a while. We have only stayed at value and the bus system is so crowded and the lines are long. We just find it quicker to drive. That being said, I can't wait until our first trip to SSR since buying and trying their buses. Hopefully they are less crowded. Have a great trip:flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter