Do you charge family and friends?

When we have invited family or friends to join us, we don't charge them for the room. Usually, they will pick up a meal or two.

I have charged family/friends and will continue to do so. I usually calculate an amount based on dues per point. I usually travel with the same group of folks and this is expected by all.
I also charge for half the cost of the dues, or the whole cost if they are going without me. I'm upfront when I suggest it, or if they ask me. For the past 10 years I was a sole support parent and now I'm retired and living on pensions. My family get that, and think they're getting a bargain on the room as they know how much it costs to stay at even a value disney resort. That said, I've only brought family and one very close friend. Most of the time I travel with my adult kids who, of course, don't pay. Sometimes I travel solo.

To me, charging a friend or family member for a stay using your DVC points is similar to charging them for staying at a vacation home that you owned.
I think that's a little harsh. I don't own my DVC room outright, and there are costs for me to keep going there. I'm not wealthy and DVC is a luxury. I love it and I forego other luxuries to keep it. My family and friends are somewhat aware of my financial circumstances (I'm not poor, but I would not be considered wealthy), know what it costs to stay at even a value disney resort, and if they want to come with me they are happy to pay for their portion of the dues. That said, I often prefer to travel solo or with my adult children. They don't pay, I think it's a bonus they are willing to spend time with me. If I'm inviting others to come along it's because they have expressed an interest in going to Disney and I'm saving them quite a lot of money. JMO

I think that's a little harsh. I don't own my DVC room outright, and there are costs for me to keep going there. I'm not wealthy and DVC is a luxury. I love it and I forego other luxuries to keep it. My family and friends are somewhat aware of my financial circumstances (I'm not poor, but I would not be considered wealthy), know what it costs to stay at even a value disney resort, and if they want to come with me they are happy to pay for their portion of the dues. That said, I often prefer to travel solo or with my adult children. They don't pay, I think it's a bonus they are willing to spend time with me. If I'm inviting others to come along it's because they have expressed an interest in going to Disney and I'm saving them quite a lot of money. JMO

Which is why there is really no one right or wrong way to do it. The key in any situation is to make sure everyone is onboard and aware of the rules...and it sounds like your family/friends are perfectly comfortable with it all!

To me, charging a friend or family member for a stay using your DVC points is similar to charging them for staying at a vacation home that you owned.

I don’t think it’s necessarily completely the same.

If you’re using extra points (that you normally would’ve rented out) to book a larger or additional room, then I think it’s reasonable to ask family/friends to contribute to the cost. Totally understand that some people are in the position to absorb that cost, but not everyone can.

If I owned a vacation home that I didn’t rent out, I wouldn’t ask family/friends to pay to use it. But maybe I’d feel differently if I were renting it out during weeks I wasn’t using it, and those family/friends were using it during a time I wasn’t also there.

I also think there’s generally a much wider range of DVC owners versus people who own a vacation home. It’s possible for someone to own a 50 point contract and gifting points might be much harder.

I don’t think it’s necessarily completely the same.

If you’re using extra points (that you normally would’ve rented out) to book a larger or additional room, then I think it’s reasonable to ask family/friends to contribute to the cost. Totally understand that some people are in the position to absorb that cost, but not everyone can.

If I owned a vacation home that I didn’t rent out, I wouldn’t ask family/friends to pay to use it. But maybe I’d feel differently if I were renting it out during weeks I wasn’t using it, and those family/friends were using it during a time I wasn’t also there.

I also think there’s generally a much wider range of DVC owners versus people who own a vacation home. It’s possible for someone to own a 50 point contract and gifting points might be much harder.

A vacation home that is a rental can have quite a few costs associated with using it 'for free'. Out of the area owners may be using a management company that comes with costs. If the home is 'used' it will require a professional cleaning to be put back in shape for the next rental. And then there is the use of utilities, plus pool heat if there is a pool or hot tub. Size of the home can be a significant factor in these costs also.

And to actually answer the question, I don't charge family, but I did have one friend who pitched in a nominal amount that I accepted when we traveled together. Basically the cost of a couple of our dinners.

There was another situation with a friend who was more an acquaintance who wanted a substantial reservation of several hundred points for their own family. Somehow they got the impression that it was a dirt cheap reservation.

When I told them what the cost to pay for the dues on the points for the time they wanted was, they eventually backed away. I was not making money, just covering the dues cost of points that I would have otherwise used myself.

Last edited:
Other family members are also DVC members, so that part's a non issue. When we bring a friend of our daughter's, we treat. We don't ask for anything. That's one of the benefits of the flexibility of DVC for us.

If I invite them to stay with me, no charge.

If they ask to stay with me, nominal charge (basically the dues on the points difference between new and old accomodations).

If they ask for me to book and I'm not involved in the trip, full rental rates but better blackout/change options than a broker.

Ultimately, for me, the points have an actual cash value., that I cannot replace once used. And for most Disney trips, that is more than I would be comfortable gifting to a friend/family member for their solo trip. A 200 pt reservation pays for half my kids tuition for the year. I'd never expect someone else to take that money out of their bank account to send me on a solo trip.

We bought enough points for my family of four to go once a year. Once, I booked a one bedroom that slept 5 so my brother could join us. If anyone wants to come with us and we need bigger accommodations, I’ll do what I can, like book at a cheaper resort. If I don’t have enough points to stay the length of time we want, we ask that they chip in for the extra nights we have to pay on cash. They are still getting an incredible deal.

Ultimaltly it comes down to who.
SIL has come at no cost,,,but same room and did not need to upgrade,,,This is usually a factor if we need to get bigger accomidations that equals more points then we would normally spend.
\Bringing "the boys" for golf weekend at HH or OKW then its a 2bdrm and small accomidations charge which they have no issues with. Prob just the dues cost difference between studio and 2 bdrm split between the 3 others.
Co workers just asking to rent,,,full rental price,,,but help with booking, organizing, and generous cancellation policy where they are aware of cut off times for points, holding and banking.
Brother,,,sorry none available this year///lol

Hey, when you bring family and or friends on your DVC, do you charge them for their room? Or do you just ‘pay’ for the hotel? Do you charge them the cost of your dues only? Going rate for rentals? Dues + amortized buy in cost? Or do you just not bring anyone else on your points?

I’m just a bit curious how others handle it.
No. I don't even charge family when I am not taking the trip with them. However, when I almost sold last year, my sister did agree to pay the dues on 2 years worth of points, about the amount we are using for the Hawaii trip with her daughter and grandkids. Initially I wasn't going to go with them but we realized that due to there already being 6 people (3 are young children but all over 3) they needed a 2 bedroom anyway, and I have so many airline points, that I might as well join them.
When I almost sold, It wasn't about money, I just don't like the hassle of dealing with getting all the points used.
I sometimes don't charge friends or friends of family, if the points are close to expiring. I have never charged more than my cost (dues plus principle).

We've only been members for a few years. With banked and covid points, we got a 3br and brought my parents and my sister's family. We all live driving distance. They covered their tickets and we split up food and groceries. My mom came with us another time in a 5 person 1br. We drove her, she got her tickets and some of the meals. I hope to invite my family again in 23 or 24. We don't really have friends we would bring 🤣 but I imagine if they were staying with us, we would do the same. I'd rather just go with my sister though. 😂We don't have extra points so I don't see us giving out stays free or paid, but I think I would expect to be paid if we weren't included. My parents have taken us on plenty of trips and my sister wouldn't be able to go otherwise right now, certainly not in these accommodations, so I am happy to reciprocate now that I can and spend the family time.

If I invite them to stay with me, no charge.

If they ask to stay with me, nominal charge (basically the dues on the points difference between new and old accomodations).

If they ask for me to book and I'm not involved in the trip, full rental rates but better blackout/change options than a broker.

Ultimately, for me, the points have an actual cash value., that I cannot replace once used. And for most Disney trips, that is more than I would be comfortable gifting to a friend/family member for their solo trip. A 200 pt reservation pays for half my kids tuition for the year. I'd never expect someone else to take that money out of their bank account to send me on a solo trip.
That's where I was with my above post ...almost $3000 worth of points for the reservation. That's a pretty substantial giveaway to expect, especially with points that I would use myself.

Our "family culture" is such that folks more or less expect to reimburse each other for direct expenses, but we don't profit off one another. For us, that probably means paying the member for dues on the points that were used and also springing for a nice dinner as a thank you. For friends, if we make the invitation, we are paying. There might still be a nice dinner as a thank you, which we would not turn down.

Over the years, it's relatively rare that we've had friends/family join us on timeshare vacations. Most "normal people" do not plan their vacations a year (or more) in advance. The few times we have done it have been opportunistic exchanges, and they tend to happen closer to the date in question. We do have an "extra" week in Princeville on Kauai for next summer that we will keep in our back pocket to see if someone wants to come along. If not, we will just cancel it and roll the points forward. It's a few blocks off the ocean cliff and they may turn up their noses at it. :rotfl2:
This is a good point about family culture. We are similar. When we book vacation homes, we split the cost no matter who did the booking. That gets extended into many areas of family life: ie: for Christmas dinner, no matter who is hosting we all bring food, and usually a nice gift for the host. It would be the same if I booked a DVC grand villa for our extended family. They would up front ask how much it cost me and we would divide it. It's just how our family works. They likely wouldn't stay with us if I wasn't honest about how much it cost and allowed them to pay. I would feel the same if they booked something for me.

That being said, I think I will always have my children and any future grandchildren stay for free with us for DVC as a gift. But, anything beyond the immediate family, we would split the cost. It's not me "charging" them. It's not me making a profit, either. It's us splitting the load, just like any other vacation home that is rented. That's how I see it...

I do agree with previous posters that it's bit much for people to be posting that it's unimaginable / unthinkable to not have your family/friends stay for free. I don't think that's a realistic representation of the majority of DVC owners. Most people don't give away multi-thousand dollar vacations to their brother-in-law for free. Some do, but I wouldn't say most. A lot of families split costs for vacations - it's not unusual.

Last edited:
Hey, when you bring family and or friends on your DVC, do you charge them for their room?
Just our own kids. I charged them on a sliding scale according to their age:
0-1 $35
2-5 $80
6-12 $170
13-18 $400
(Some of the littler kids had trouble paying, but I told them they can run a tab until they're 6 and get a job at the textile mill)

Last edited:
Just our own kids. I charged them on a sliding scale according to their age:
0-1 $35
2-5 $80
6-12 $170
13-18 $400
(Some of the littler kids had trouble paying, but I told them they can run a tab until they're 6 and get a job at the textile mill)
Coal mines will sometimes start them at 4 or 5. They like them small for that line of work. Just an FYI.

We just got back from a trip with family, we invited them and used points for two Poly studios and didn’t ask for anything In return. When we have done this once or twice before with beach trips, they have always purchased a meal or two, didn’t happen this time, will make me consider if we do it again. Those points were another five day trip …

Having been a member for over 20 years, I no longer invite extended family or friends to travel with us. I would book their rooms with DVC points, and then they would complain that their room wasn't in the perfect location, etc. Never did anyone even think about buying us lunch or dinner -in fact, they usually expected us to pick up the tab for all of their meals. Each time I picked up the check I would grow more irritated. This happened with the same people on more than one trip. It got to the point where I started to resent them and dread these trips - these same people all make more money than I.

I didn't buy DVC to take family, I bought DVC because I Like Disney, and I want to go to Disney. I've used thousands of points taking family and friends in the past years - and I'm done. I honestly think they assume that the DVC rooms do not cost me anything.

My advice is to charge/ not charge what you are emotionally ready to deal with ( that's not the best terminology, but it's late) - if you can afford to use the points without any return ( money, dinner, etc.) and will feel happy about it - then do it. If, however, if you expect them to show any gratitude ( buy you lunch, etc.); then it's probably best to be upfront about your costs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter