Do you drive or ride the buses?

Good Ol Gal

A Longhorn living in Buckeye Country
DVC Gold
I keep reading here how some people swear that you waste alot of time riding buses to and from the parks. We've only been to WDW 2x, once as a DVC member.

When we went last year and stayed at SSR we took the bus to every park and it seemed to work out well. We picked it up right outside our building (in CP) and it dropped us off out front or the parks.

We did try taking our car to MK once last year and it seemed worse! We had to park, far, far away!! Take the shuttle to the TTC, then take a monarail to MK. Same thing for the way back, but with sleepy kids.

I just don't see how it would be better to drive. We'll be staying at SSR again in 9 days!!

Please enlighten me :goodvibes

to the MK always take the bus.

but parking at Epcot or Studios is nice. you are right there at the parks.

for AKL I still take the bus. yes taking your car is faster - but that parking lot can be a long, long walk in the morning. even with their trams.

Having only stayed at the AS resorts and one Mod. we use our car. Only because the buses are so crowded. It takes forever to get one. We waited on one bus for over an hour. When we make our first trip home in July we are going to try buses to see the difference. We will also have our car incase the bus thing does not work out. Have fun

We always use the buses. We love parking our car and not seeing it again until we leave. It is very relaxing to not worry about waiting for transportation to the parking lots at the end of a long day. We just go stand in line after leisurely strolling out of the parks after closing crowds rush by. Then the bus driver has to deal with traffic etc getting back to the resort. We just sit and savor the magical memories of the day. For us, it is part of the relaxed vacations we now enjoy because of DVC. We know we'll be back, so everything is a much slower pace. Good luck! :flower:

I drive everywhere except MK. We stay at OKW. I over the years had many bad experiences with the buses, it just is not worth it except of course to MK, where it is impractical to take a car.

We always drive unless we are going to the MK and NOT staying at a MK resort.

I personally can not stand those buses.. I hate feeling like I am packed in like a sardine.

I walk or use the boat whenever I can (VWL, BWV, BVC). Otherwise, I take the bus to the MK and I drive everywhere else.

We use Disney transportation almost exclusively. The only time we don't is for meals at other resorts.

rwcmath :sunny:

We always have a car, but when we stay at SSR we use the busses. They are direct and rarely crowded so we enjoy them more.

If we are at BCV or BWV we take the boat or we drive. I refuse to ride the busses at those 2 resorts, so Im glad they have several options.

We almost exclusively use Disney buses/boats/monorails. Not having to drive is a real vacation for me! :goodvibes However, SSR has expanded greatly. We stayed there last week and it is a huge resort. Bus service seemed fine for the most part, but distances from villa to bus stops seem long to me. We did not see an internal bus very often. If we stay there again, we will probably rent a car.

HMMMMM, some interesting observations here that don't match our experiences. OKW buses are usually very good, both in punctuality and in not feeling like sardines. The only time we have felt packed into a bus has been when returning to the resort at the end of the day after something like Illuminations or Fantasmic. I expect them to be crowded then. We have tried having some in our party drive while some took the bus, and in all cases except AK, the busers got there before the drivers. AK takes a bit longer from OKW because it stops at Blizzard Beach first. I absolutely HATE taking that tram and trying to find a rental car that I have trouble recognizing anyway. If you have anyone in a wheel chair or ECV, the bus is by far the easiest way to get around. I can see where some think taking a stroller on the bus is a PITA, but so is hoisting it in and out of a car trunk and onto and off a tram. I guess I don't see any difference there except that you have to do it an additional time if you drive.

We have only ever used Disney transportation and have never been disappointed - we have found service to be quick and reliable and never "missed" having a car.

Needless to say your mileage may vary... :)

Charlotte

justloveit said:
We always use the buses. We love parking our car and not seeing it again until we leave. It is very relaxing to not worry about waiting for transportation to the parking lots at the end of a long day. We just go stand in line after leisurely strolling out of the parks after closing crowds rush by. Then the bus driver has to deal with traffic etc getting back to the resort. We just sit and savor the magical memories of the day. For us, it is part of the relaxed vacations we now enjoy because of DVC. We know we'll be back, so everything is a much slower pace. Good luck! :flower:

Couldn't agree more!

Since we have 3 small kids, we tend to be loaded up with too much junk to easily do the buses. Plus, there is just too much opportunity for toddler-meltdown on the buses at the end of the day -- usually long waits and standing room only. (I shudder just thinking about it. :headache: ) The only exception is WL to the MK if we think we have a reasonable shot at the big boat (so we don't have to break down the strollers).

when we were at WDW last year the SSR buses were almost completely empty. I am very curious to see how they compare this year now that the other sections are open.

We always rent a car.

When possible, we take the "fun" transportation - monorail, boat, etc.

We will take the bus to MK, and sometimes we'll take the bus as a 'ride' or 'attraction'.

Most of the time, though, we drive; but, hey, we enjoy the tram rides, too! :goodvibes

We only ever use Disney transportation. I spend my life shuttling my 3 kids, and usually a friend or 2, to and from school, activites, sports, etc. I don't even want to look at a car on vacation. Dh drives 1 hour to work (ONE WAY) every day and doesn't want to see one either. We have never had any problems with the buses, boats, etc. :)

We use Disney transportation. I hate having to drive in my car after I have just driven 1200 miles to get down there. We park our car and let it sit until we leave.

I find it more relaxing and we just sit and relax/talk or whatever while waiting.

I'm not a great navigator and my husband doesn't seem to be making up for my lack. So we get lost a lot renting a car. And neither of us enjoys driving. And my husband is a car snob - there is no "cheap rental" in our house.

We stay at the BW and really love it, in part because the very easy access to Epcot keeps us from needing to take quite so many busses.

We do suppliment our bus experience with taxis. If we don't want to deal with crowded buses, or just miss a bus, or are going somewhere that a bus isn't convienient (resort to resort travel), we hop in a cab.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter