Do you ever regret staying off site? - Update! We're staying offsite!

We stayed onsite the first few times at WDW but since staying offsite we have never gone back again. For us (as others have said) the best thing is having all separate bedrooms and a kitchen to be able to cook some meals in.

The last couple of times we have rented a vacation home with a private pool and the kids love it. Here is a link to the house we stayed at last time if you want to check it out: http://www.vrbo.com/571182. The house was beautiful and having an air conditioned games room was a favorite for the older ones. ;)

It sounds like maybe you are getting swayed to the idea of having a car? For us it is far better than waiting around for the Disney buses. As far as getting to MK, being on the boat across the lake and seeing the park getting closer and closer is part of the magic. If you like the Disney transportation then this is kind of the best of both worlds because you still get that experience.

The one thing that concerns me about your thinking about staying offsite is that you don't want to drive to the parks. If I didn't have a car, I'd stay onsite. Navigating an offsite bus system, expensive taxis, and infrequent shuttles would not be my choice.

To me driving in Orlando is no big deal at all and gives me freedom and flexibility. I have never ever regretted offsite. I am in awe and amazement that Disney can get decent occupancy rates on 30,000+ rooms and condos with their high prices. I totally don't get the "Disney Magic" thing. On one stay -- first week onsite at a moderate and second week offsite and a beautiful timeshare condo resort with tons of room and amenities, my own balcony, kitchen, big LV/DV area, two bedrooms, two baths, tennis courts, grocery stores nearby, and reasonably priced food nearby, it was soooo magical to me to finally escape from Disney. The only reason I stayed onsite was that DH was attending a conference onsite and his company was paying for the room. The moderate room price with a discount offer was more than the rental price from an owner of the two bedroom condo.

My favorite onsite stays have been high tower view rooms at the Contemporary -- again, someone else paying as DH was attending a conference. Now I thought that was pretty cool, but OMG the costs of those rooms just don't fit my budget at all, and I'd never pick that if I was paying. // For the price point that I go for, onsite just doesn't cut it for me, and offsite is perfect.

No never regretted staying offsite at WDW. i like to explore other parks. the main reasons I stayed off site is:

Free breakfast we is a family of five with growing kids DS 11 DD 11 DD8 That right there savings me hundreds alone.

More then one TV The room has at least two TVs

Free Wi-FI our room looks like a electronic store

We like sleeping in suites hotel rooms that provides with more then three beds. We now stay in two bedroom suites now that everyone has there own bed.

Must have restaurants in walking distance. WDW food is expensive and not good. Why do i have make a ADR 180 days out for a restaurant. Plus eating offsite saves us money because i have plenty of gift cards for restaurants

We drive to parks now because sometimes it takes whole hour for a bus to come.

Have to agree with the above. Driving is so much easier!!! Its so easy to get around and we hate waiting for a bus. Nothing is worse than spending 350.00 a night on a room and watching the buses stop twice at a value resort stop before your bus even arrives. We were told they run more for the values as they have more guests to transport. We've concluded years ago, value resort guests get more for their money.

There's not much traffic
Partly, that's thanks to all the people who don't want to drive on vacation! :)

For those that drive, what about Magic Kingdom? Is it not a pain to have to park, take a shuttle to the transportation center and then get on something else yet again??
Not really. The only part that's tough with a stroller is the tram---and you do that at the other parks as well. You can wheel strollers on/off the monorail and ferry. It can be a pain if you are arriving or leaving when everyone else is, but that's true of the buses as well. As they say on the Transportation board: There is no pixie dust in transportation.

For those that drive, what about Magic Kingdom? Is it not a pain to have to park, take a shuttle to the transportation center and then get on something else yet again??

All part of the trip. And I imagine that they planned it that way.

For a lot of people and especially 1st timers, MK will be the park they go to 1st.
So what better, than getting to the Lake and the 1st thing you see it Cinderellas Castle and then you get closer and closer to it.

Up on the monorail seeing peoples faces when they see the castle, then actually go through the hotel.

I would consider staying offsite with older kids, but I would not do it with a child under about 7. As someone else said, if you have a melt down that requires a break, you'l be better the closer you are. If you even want to go back to the hotel during the hottest part of the day and then go back in the evening, you are better the closer you are. What we liked best for small children was renting DVC points at Bay Lake Tower or one of the Epcot DVCs. That allowed walking back from the park. The price was pretty good, but we had to lock in 11 months out. But I would recommend it over staying offsite for young kids.

We stayed offsite when our kids were little as we wanted to be able to out them to bed and have an evening, also they were at an age when eating in some nights was good. Now they are older we go back on site as we can all go to bed at the same time and we can let them go to a different park or home early from the park. I think offsite with little ones is a great idea.

I would consider staying offsite with older kids, but I would not do it with a child under about 7. As someone else said, if you have a melt down that requires a break, you'l be better the closer you are. If you even want to go back to the hotel during the hottest part of the day and then go back in the evening, you are better the closer you are. What we liked best for small children was renting DVC points at Bay Lake Tower or one of the Epcot DVCs. That allowed walking back from the park.
Agree that renting DVC is a good middle ground as far as cost and accommodations are concerned (although still probably somewhat more expensive than offsite).

However, location is a double-edged sword. Yes, at BCV/BWV you are within walking distance of Epcot, and the same is true of BLT/GFV and MK. Very cool...IF you plan on spending the vast majority of your stay at one park.

But what if you are at AK when the the meltdown strikes and you're staying at BCV or BLT?

I guarantee you I can get to most places in close proximity to WDW (WBC or WH, for example) by car a LOT quicker than you can get Ms. Meltdown back to your onsite resort on those "Magical" buses.

And if you are talking onsite VALUE resorts, they are actually farther from the parks than many offsite options.

Thanks for the feedback! I've read all the posts carefully and you have really given us a lot to think about.

I know those that say driving is better and I must admit that with a little one we might change our minds about the buses! I did not think about it but I bet they are more of a pain with a stroller and then with a little one and no sitting room! The buses can be a pain at night after the fireworks waiting for 3-4 buses but in general we enjoyed riding them. We did always have a car so if we went to AKL for dinner, for example, then we drove but this time we are flying because I don't think DS can handle 20 hours in the car!

Nope not really. But we also got to the parks early so we didn't need the tram and we actually liked taking the ferry / monorail into the park. I think it was relaxing and I don't know...help to build up the excitement.

A few weeks ago, I was talking to my husband about our first trip back in 2012 and asked him when he started to get excited. He said it was when he was sitting on the ferry and could see the castle in the background. That was the moment it hit him that we were actually at DW and he got so excited. Before that moment he was happy to be going to DW, but was never really excited and resigned himself that this was mostly just a trip for the kids. But something happened on that ferry ride that converted him into a forever Disney Dad.

I can honestly say " No regrets off site " having only stayed once for 1 week LAST December @ Sheraton Vistana through RCI exchange and have an UP coming 1 week stay THIS December @ Holiday Inn Vacation Club Villas through IHG mega reward points!
Although we are ALSO DVC members (Beach Club Villas & Villas @ Grand Californian) and can get almost the same things staying ON site thus works out fine when we are out of DVC points! We definitely discovered that we can survive plus ENJOY off site every once in a while!!

Disneyland actually has a bigger advantage to staying ON Site than Disneyworld and I am speaking as a Southern California local Premier Passholder!

We regretted staying on site. I can't believe we paid so much money and we couldn't even flush the toilet when our kids were asleep. Tiny tiny motel style room for $$$. Not very magical to me.

we are getting ready to stay offsite for the first time. we are taking a quick weekend trip with my ILs and staying at Caribe Royale. because we only have two park days, we thought we'd try this in order to get more space and save money.

that said, when my youngest was six months old, we stayed at the Contemporary. it was the most convenient resort for us. one day, he just needed a break and i was able to walk back to the room with him for a nice, long nap. Epcot was also super convenient (all monorail, so no worries about folding up the stroller).

we also requested a ground floor room so that when he settled in for the night, we could sit on the patio.

NO WAY, especially now that we have a kid who goes to bed by 9 and gets up at 6! We love being able to tuck him in in his own bed or on the pull out couch, then go in the bedroom and watch TV with the lights on until we're ready for bed. I love units that have a washing machine and kitchen, because I can pack half as much clothing and DS can sit in his pajamas and watch cartoons while eating breakfast, and DH and I can get dressed and split a pot of coffee in the room.

And as far as saving money goes, we were able to take multiple trips this year by staying offsite. Eating breakfast in the room let us spend more money on lunch and dinner in the parks, and we were able to eat at chain restaurants a few times (Giordano's Pizza, Chick-fil-A, Panera) and put that money toward a TS meal or two and souvenirs. I love Disney World, but sometimes it's nice to leave "the bubble" and go back to your big suite and just take a break from the Mouse.

Never stayed on site and I don't think I will ever fork out the $$$ for it unless I win the lotto. Never had any issues staying off site, it's only a place to sleep.

I have to admit, I have never stayed onsite. There is no reason for me to spend that kind of money to enjoy my vacation to disney. I have been going since 1976. First staying in regular motels, then suite motels and finally in timeshares thru skyauction. The drive for me is part of my experience and I would miss it. I don't need to be surrounded by disney to have fun. I don't need to be in a disney hotel with thin walls and kids running up and down the halls. I need my sleep and a place with a bedroom for all is my choice.

We stay off-site when we want to save money and know that the parks won't be very crowded, so we won't miss not being able to participate in EMH. We also plan off-site when we know the traffic to/from the parks won't be bad, which is off-season.

We like to stay on-site when we have a shorter trip planned and/or it is high season like spring break. Those early park openings and late hours are great to be able to participate in by staying on-site.

For example, in January we stayed off-site and went to Universal Studios. No lines, no waiting, no traffic. Very relaxing trip. In early December after our cruise out of Miami we are staying on-site because we want to see all of the holiday festivities. It will be a very busy trip.

Thanks for the feedback! I've read all the posts carefully and you have really given us a lot to think about.

I know those that say driving is better and I must admit that with a little one we might change our minds about the buses! I did not think about it but I bet they are more of a pain with a stroller and then with a little one and no sitting room! The buses can be a pain at night after the fireworks waiting for 3-4 buses but in general we enjoyed riding them. We did always have a car so if we went to AKL for dinner, for example, then we drove but this time we are flying because I don't think DS can handle 20 hours in the car!

I take the comprehensive view of transportation and parking.

When we stayed onsite, we walked long way to bus stop, waited for MK bus, hoped there was room, then got dropped off at park bus stop, walked to gate. At night, we reversed.

We never "got to" ride the monorail.

Offsite we got in van at front door, drove to TC, rode shuttle to monorail, rode monorail to park stop, walked to gate. At night we reversed, choosing the "resort monorail" because it was less crowded.

For MK, door-to-door about the same for offsite/onsite, but far more pleasurable for offsite.

I wouldn't drive instead of flying just to have a car, but I would recommend renting one no matter what (if cost isn't an issue).

For me--it is all about what I am staying in offsite. If it is a crappy place, I would feel bad. Nice place, I am fine. We do own DVC, but can only rent 2 bedrooms now and the points don't go as far. No points until next year for us.

We will be staying in a 2 bedroom condo off site on our next visit. Friend has stayed here before using her timeshare and a group will be headed down. Price cannot be beat. We will not miss on site this visit one bit.

yes...just returned yesterday from our weekend trip....our "off site" hotel was Buena Vista Palace which we stayed at since my daughter dance troupe, who was performing at WDW stayed there...

it was the first time in 14 years i stayed off site and hopefully the last...did not like anything about staying off site..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter