Do you go to non-Disney parks on your Disney trips?

StampMom

<font color=9999FF>MK will always be the "real" WD
In the past, our trips have only been 5 or 6 days long, and we haven't wanted to "waste" a Disney day on another park, like SeaWorld or Universal. This next trip will be a bit longer, so we are at least exploring the idea of going to a non-Disney park one day. I'm wondering what thoughts people have about this.

In particular, I am wondering what are the "best" ages for SeaWorld and Universal. My older son will be 5 -- would one of the other parks be okay, good, or a "don't miss" for him? (Younger son will be 15 months, so he'll pretty much go with the flow.)

Also, I am wondering if going to another park somehow detracts from the "magic" of a Disney vacation. I could be totally off-base about this, but Universal in particular seems much more "amusement park-y" if that makes any sense -- more emphasis on the thrill rides and less on the magic. Even though my older DS is a daredevil, and would probably love a lot of thrill rides, I'm not ready to give up on the magic yet, while he's still young enough to believe in the characters, etc. (It would break my heart if he ended up liking Universal better than WDW!)

I'm not even sure if this question makes any sense, but I'd appreciate any thoughts people have, to help us decide whether to keep this a "pure" Disney trip or to branch out!

TIA!

We love Disney and all of Orlando. Sea World is our favorite non Disney. I've pasted below "our family favorites" (sorry so long) for your reading pleasure.

The Barcak's favorite things to do In Orlando

Hi, The Barczak family has 6 members. David & Alison (getting old but young at heart), Mary (12), Tim (10), Matthew (5) and Andrew (3). We have been heading down to Orlando yearly for the past 6 years. So we have hit it for just about every age of kid except teenagers. In the following paragraphs I will tell you about our family favorites, the kids (and at what age) favorites, and Alisons and mines (We actually did a trip without the kids before Andrew entered our world).

DISNEY WORLD FAVORITES:
Family Favorites -
MGM STUDIOS - FANTASMIC is a must see. The show alone is worth the price of admission to MGM for the day. However, it is not a very well kept secret. Even though the stadium holds 12,000 it fills up 1 hour to an hour & 1/2 before show time. On weekend nights where there are 2 showings we recommend the first. The kids are not as cranky. Also suggest getting a little later start on the day you plan on seeing it to save energy for the big wait. Get in and get your seats and then have a runner head to the concessions for snacks/dinner.
DISNEY QUEST - Well after visiting Disney 5 times we finally made it to Disney Quest. It was a pleasant surprise. Amazing what they can do with computers. Great for kids 8+. Any younger and it would be challenging. The virtual roller coaster is amazing. You design your own roller coaster on a computer by selecting sections of track from a rather large group (twist, turns, corkscrews, loops, etc) and then go into a simulator and actually ride it. I made the mistake of going with Timothy. He swore there were only 2 upside downs. Well 9 upside downs later I emerged from the simulator looking rather green. There is a ton to do and we couldn't get the big kids out. Had to take Alison and the little ones back to the room and go back and wait till closing for the bigger kids. Watch out though if its crowded. Its all indoors and I can see where during peak times it could seem claustrophobic.
MAGIC KINGDOM - CRYSTAL PALACE CHARACTER BUFFET: Always one our best meals on the trip and you get personal attention from the entire Pooh gang (Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, & Tigger). The buffet is excellent. It has booth kids food and adult food. Again, not a very good kept secret. You will need to make reservations a couple of weeks before heading down on your trip. We personally prefer a later seating, 2pm. Less hectic and our morning snacks are wearing out and we are ready for a good hour or so break.
ANIMAL KINGDOM - FESTIVAL OF LION KING SHOW: A fantastic musical and acrobatic performance. Rivals the Broadway show (shorter though). Again, gotta get there early. Suggest early performances.
EPCOT - As the kids get older Epcot gets better. We hit it this year during the wine and food festival. It was great. Alison and I sampled a wine from every other or maybe every third or maybe everyone ( I can't remember) and we all shared a sampled of food from each booth. It was educational (don't tell the kids) and fun. Their favorite was the alligator from the Florida booth and the jerk chicken from Australia. If not there during the wine & food festival its still a good time. Our favorite is "Honey, I shrunk the Audience" and the Living Seas. Test track is pretty good also, but use fastpass or you'll be in line awhile.
WATER PARK - BLIZZARD BEACH: A tough call though. Typhoon lagoon has the snorkel with the fish and rays area. But It was unanimous. Blizzard Beach has better and I more slides. Has a great middle age kids area also. We live in Memphis, TN. There is not a real water park within 200 miles so we always hit them at least once and often 2 days.
FIREWORKS: - WE WATCH FROM THE BRIDGES: We all love the fireworks but the kids do not like the hike over to Epcot after a full day of activities and the little ones do not like the big bangs. Although you should go over to Epcot at least once, that’s probably enough. We like the vantage point from the far bridge (the one behind the dance hall). Fewer trees blocking and less crowded. We also try and rent a surrey bike for 6 one night and time it so we are on the bridge at fireworks time. Warning, the surrey bikes are tough work (especially when the kids are not peddling their fair share). We almost never make it up the bridges, have to get out and push.

Orlando's Non Disney Attractions:
SEA WORLD. The whole family loves Sea World. Maybe its because we live in TN and all we ever see is a skunk, a possum, or a raccoon (usually squashed on the road). The kids love feeding the animals (Dolphins, Sea Lions, a Rays - caution cost extra). The shark exhibit is awesome. The shows are pretty good. Sea World has the longest roller coaster in North America - The Kracken. Tim gives it a solid 10.

DISCOVERY COVE: Truly amazing, but a real budget smasher. For the 2 big kids and myself (they did the dolphin swim, I didn't), pictures, and snacks we spend almost $700. It is a once or maybe a twice in a lifetime adventure. Mary and Tim loved it and still talk about it. The dolphin swim consists of spending about 30 - 35 minutes in the water with a group of 8 plus 2 trainers and your own private dolphin. You get to kiss, pet, do tricks, and even ride the dolphin. What an experience. When you are not at the dolphing swim there are three other adventures. They have a huge lagoon where you swim with all sorts of fish and one that has stingrays (been de-stung). Then there is a river that flows through a huge bird avery. You can go into the avery and feed the birds. A great lunch is included as well as admission to Seaworld on several days before or after your visit to Discovery Cove. Because Seaworld is included and you can
go to Discovery Cove and not do the dolphin swim (cost around $120) we will probably go every other time we visit (no dolphin swim) Orlando. It really is a fun, relaxing, educational, and enjoyable day.

UNIVERSAL STUDIO'S ISLAND OF ADVENTURE: Great rides for kids over 52", only so so for little ones. Spiderman is amazing, my vote for best ride in Orlando. The park has at least 4 roller coasters. The Hulk is out of this world. Blast you off into a full loop at 60 MPH. Tim (the kid loves coasters) rode it 7 times in a row in an hour last November. I got woozy just sitting and watching him.

Busch Gardens Tampa - Much better than expected. Great rides. The best little kids (2-6 years - called Dragon World) I have ever seen. They also have 2 other areas (3 - 4 rides) for small kids. They have 6 roller coasters of varying degrees of difficulty. Plus there is the added attraction of the animals. They had the biggest alligator I have ever seen. My favorite was the hospitality pavilion, my daughter liked the animals especially the Clydesdales, Tim rode every coaster at least twice and we couldn't get the little ones away from Dragon world. Its about an hours drive from Disney but worth the trip every other time or so.

MEDIEVAL KNIGHTS: A ton of family fun. Even the little guys loved it. Got a little boring though waiting to enter the arena area. Lots of excitement once the show starts (jousting, sword fighting, feats of skill) and the kids loved the food. Nothing fancy, soup, a 1/2 roasted chicken, potatoes, something else and a dessert. And for mom and Dad, all the beer you can drink. Eat everything with your hands (kids where in heaven). Don't be afraid to ask for a doggie bag. We took home 3 containers and ate for 2 days.

This is a work in progress and I add to it whenever I get the feeling.

The Barczaks

To answer your question.... no......we don't do non-Disney parks when in Orlando. But having said that..... we have been to all three Sea Worlds (Orlando on a "beach" trip, San Antonio and this year San Diego). My kids LOVE Sea World!:rolleyes: DH and I are a little Sea Worlded out! My DD went at age 2 and found plenty to enjoy even at that young age. Next trip DD was 7, DS 3 again it was a sucess. This year, DD age 10, DS age 7 again lots of fun. So if you do a non-Dis park, I'd go with Sea World.

Good Luck!:D

hat.gif
We usually stay at WDW for 7-8 days, then go to Universal/IOA for four days. Since we fly in, we make the most of our trip. My husband likes USO/IOA more than he does Disney and I like all the parks for different reasons; our 3 yr. old is happy at either location!
freak4.gif

P.S. We don't go to Seaworld Orlando because we can go to Seaworld San Antonio anytime.

we always go to Seaworld - we love seaworld, for us it has a lot of magic, although of a different kind. It's pretty magical to feed a dolphin, or to watch Shamu perform. My daughter particularly loves the area where you can look in a rock pool, she will spend hours there.

We have also been to Universal and will go back, but the rides were a bit to 'thrill' for my dd at 3.5 and we didn't bother on our last trip (when she was 4.5), we are planning on going back next time when she will be 6.

Both parks are beautifully themed, have many characters, and I think they have a lot of atmosphere - it really depends if your kids know the characters they feature - my DD knew Barney and that was probably the highlight of her whole trip, but other than Barney she wasn't that familiar with the characters featured, like Dr. Suess for example.

We take at least 14 days as we fly over from the UK, so we have more time than you may, but I would certainly suggest you give them a try.

Bev

We visited both WDW and Universal on our last vacation, and we will do so again on our next trip in November. My kids were 3 and 5 the last time we were in Orlando & they both really enjoyed Universal Islands of Adventure, especially Seuss Landing. We didn't have the chance to visit Universal Studios, but we're going to make it next time for sure.

In all honesty, my kids are much more familiar with the characters at Universal - Scooby & Shaggy, Spiderman, Shrek, Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, etc. than they are with Goofy or Chip & Dale.

I know I'm in the minority & a little strange, but I just hate to leave "the world". It's a whole different feeling as soon as you cross through those gates into the "outside world".

I could stay on WDW property for our entire 15 day trip in April & be perfectly happy!!

We're flying out from the UK next month with DS 9 & DD 5. Got 8 days in Orlando, and don't know when we'll next be back (although everyone assures us we WILL be back!) - so for us, it's a must to try to do as much as possible. We're doing MK, MGM, AK & BB, (but not Epcot), US (not IOA as the rides look too 'old' for our children) and Seaworld. Our children just love theme parks, so whatever we do will be magical - Disney or not. There are enough themes in US (Star Tours, Fieval, Barney etc) to keep my children & DH happy! Me - I'm looking forward to 4 days' recuperation on the Gulf coast afterwards as much as the Orlando stuff! Basically I am one excited Brit about ALL of it!:teeth:
Have a great time!
Jill

We stay on Disney property the whole time. Some day my husband wants to go to Universal but we just haven't been able to make it so far ;) .

...their ages, I wouldn't recommend US/IOA. However, Seaworld is a GREAT place to take kids of ALL AGES!!! Your 5-y-o will LOVE the touch tank, and get a kick out of the sea lion show!!

When we do WDW, we do WDW. We don't move our car all week. We however are planning a non WDW- Orlando trip for trip after next. We plan to hit Universal and IOA , Sea World, and Kennedy Space Center. We have waited on this trip as many of the ride at Universal and IOA are more trill type rides and we both wanted DS to be old enough to do them all and at an age we felt comfortable bringing a friend along to do some of these rides his dad and I don't enjoy. We are however considering adding a extra day to our trip this year and doing Sea World before we go on site at WDW. I am also thinking of getting a 7 day hopper instead of the six and saving one day for our "NON" WDW trip. My sister's family did Universal with her boys 2 years ago at 6&8 and they wished they had waited. They much prefered WDW.

Jordan's mom

We always go to US/IOA, we never stick to just WDW. We love them all. My kids are only 4 & 8 and I think there is a ton for them to do at the other parks! My 4 year old can't wait to see Slime Time Live live! My kids watch Nickolodean alot and love the characters. Sea World is also wonderful. I think my son's most memorable moment ever is feeding the dolphins and it makes for some great pictures! Check out the websites and decide for yourself. Only you know what your kids like!:D

Sea World is a great park and fun for kids of all ages IMO. ;) We recently tried the Universal parks and we really enjoyed them. My fourth grader was particular smitten with the original Universal park but Spiderman and the theming at IOA is amazing. These parks turned out to not be just "thrill" parks much to my own pleasure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter