Do you have a Mini Cooper? Tell me all about it.

We owned a 2010 Cooper S, called the R56 generation. The newest one started in 2014 and is the F55/56 generation.

Everything Squirlz said about it is true. They have quite a cult following, so if you want to get involved in the MINI community, you will meet a ton of people, can go on cruises, rallies, events, etc... They really can be a lifestyle if you want them to be. Your options to customize the car are endless, and really fun.

From a driving fun perspective, they're about as much fun as you can have on 4 wheels. They are a blast to drive. Responsive, nimble, a bit slow but that's OK their personality makes up for it. The interior is quirky, so it's a love it or hate it thing. I loved it. Seats are very comfy up front, in back they're nearly useless. Even the Countryman, which is better, is not a super roomy car. But if carrying 4 people isn't a big deal for you, it'll have plenty of room. MPG was very good. Even with my fully loaded S model, I got 34mpg, and could touch 40 if I was being crazy careful. Cars are just machines, and I don't believe in giving them names or "personalities", but the MINI sure as heck makes you smile every time you sit behind the wheel. It never gets old.

However, and it's a HUGE however, they are tremendously unreliable cars. Just do a Google search for "MINI death rattle" and you'll see what I mean. From the moment they came out, they haven't been a pillar of reliability. The R56 generation had quite a combo...owned by BMW (which doesn't make reliable cars anyway), using a French engine (again, horrible reliability) and assembled in England. It's like the trifecta for unreliability. They are known for serious timing chain issues (the death rattle), catastrophic fuel pump failures, electrical gremlins and the auto transmissions were made of glass, among other things. Yes, you'll find an owner or two who swears they got 150k trouble free miles out of one, and I'm sure there are a few. But as a general population, they're reliability is terrible. The newest generation ditches the French engine, but replaces it with tiny BMW turbo motors, which aren't likely to have much better reliability. Early reviews by car magazines have confirmed continued quality control issues.

So, I'd say if you're prepared to deal with the reliability issues, then everything else about the car will keep your heart fluttering. They're so much fun, but I personally just didn't want to live with the potential headaches. There are far too many good quality fun cars on the road. Darn shame too, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if they were reliable.

LOVE everything about my Minis! My first was a 2009 hardtop s which I wanted because I thought it was adorable! my husband originally didn't want to drive it, but after driving it a couple of times on the twisting roads in Germany, he loved the way it drove too! He prefers bigger tho so when we returned to the states he got a countryman s the first year they came out, which he also loved (I still think it's too big!) I moved on to a 2013 convertible s, and unfortunately arthritis in his knees (thanks Army!) forced my husband to change from a standard to an automatic a couple of years later, so he is now in a Paceman s which he loves everything about, and I now have my dream car, a 2015 Roadster s and I wish I could keep it forever! My husband currently lives in Germany again, and didn't want to be without a mini, so he bought a 2012 coupe s to drive there. We haven't had any issues with reliability, and Squirlz is absolutely right about the community, we also go to Mini's on the dragon each year, my husband already has his plane ticket to come home for it in May. I would recommend a Mini to anyone! I hope that if you get one, you will enjoy it for years to come!

I bought a 2013 Countryman. Very fun to drive, a lot of space for a smaller vehicle.

However, it's not a good winter car if you have to deal with snow and ice.

Also, VERY expensive repairs, and I am not kidding! Twice in 6 months our engine light came on, and when we took it in (just past warranty) it needed a $3000.00 (yes that is thousand, not hundred) part, plus $1300.00 in labor. Now, the service department went back to mini and asked them to see if they would cover it as a courtesy since we were so close to warranty, and they did so we did not have to pay that amount, but the whole thing left a really bad taste in my mouth, and it happened TWICE! Also, we had more tire problems in 3 years with this car (low pressure, punctures, etc) than we've had in all other cars combined.

I just sold mine because I just don't trust it. We like to keep our cars a long time, and no car 3 years old should have that much money needed for repairs.

If you want the biggest heap of junk this side of the Renault Le Car, then a Mini may be for you.
Why yes, that's EXACTLY what we all wanted! :crazy:

Buffalo-630x420.jpg

C'mon...fess up, I see the rail yard and tractor trailers in the background. None of those cars made it to that photo shoot under their own power... :tongue: Funny how in that picture the cars in the front look stretched, almost like a MINI limo. They aren't known for good reliability, but the Le Car? However, I'll give credit for even remembering the Le Car existed. They've been extinct from US roadways for decades. Most of them died/rusted/fell apart within a few years. Renault, however, did import a fun to drive car for a little while...the Alliance GTA. Rare car, even back in the day, and a piece of junk, but fun as heck when they ran. French cars are, uhhh...interesting. My race team turned an old Citroen SM into a race car just for fun. What a strange car. Made a horrible race car, but we had fun. I'll bet many people don't know that Nissan is currently partly under Renault ownership.

When I owned my Mini, I still owned a Miata. The two local clubs did a get together called "M&M". It was an awesome rally, with about 60-75 of each car showing up. I was so torn what car to bring. We brought the MINI simply because it was a new-to-me car at the time. We had a blast!! I'm shopping for a toy now, and I certainly wish I could have a little more faith in the Cooper. I really do enjoy them. Thinking about going back to Miata, because I've had so many of them. Wild card is looking into the last production year of the Solstice GXP. Convertible, 260hp stock (easily pushed to 300), decent handling, fuel efficient, unique...but GM build quality...I don't think they're horrible, but they're not Mazda.

C'mon...fess up, I see the rail yard and tractor trailers in the background. None of those cars made it to that photo shoot under their own power... :tongue: Funny how in that picture the cars in the front look stretched, almost like a MINI limo. They aren't known for good reliability, but the Le Car? However, I'll give credit for even remembering the Le Car existed. They've been extinct from US roadways for decades. Most of them died/rusted/fell apart within a few years. Renault, however, did import a fun to drive car for a little while...the Alliance GTA. Rare car, even back in the day, and a piece of junk, but fun as heck when they ran. French cars are, uhhh...interesting. My race team turned an old Citroen SM into a race car just for fun. What a strange car. Made a horrible race car, but we had fun. I'll bet many people don't know that Nissan is currently partly under Renault ownership.

When I owned my Mini, I still owned a Miata. The two local clubs did a get together called "M&M". It was an awesome rally, with about 60-75 of each car showing up. I was so torn what car to bring. We brought the MINI simply because it was a new-to-me car at the time. We had a blast!! I'm shopping for a toy now, and I certainly wish I could have a little more faith in the Cooper. I really do enjoy them. Thinking about going back to Miata, because I've had so many of them. Wild card is looking into the last production year of the Solstice GXP. Convertible, 260hp stock (easily pushed to 300), decent handling, fuel efficient, unique...but GM build quality...I don't think they're horrible, but they're not Mazda.
I have at least a half-dozen MINI friends who also have Miatas. But the oddest pairing I ever experienced was last year when we did a weekend winery tour with a Rolls Royce club!

We owned a 2010 Cooper S, called the R56 generation. The newest one started in 2014 and is the F55/56 generation.

Everything Squirlz said about it is true. They have quite a cult following, so if you want to get involved in the MINI community, you will meet a ton of people, can go on cruises, rallies, events, etc... They really can be a lifestyle if you want them to be. Your options to customize the car are endless, and really fun.

From a driving fun perspective, they're about as much fun as you can have on 4 wheels. They are a blast to drive. Responsive, nimble, a bit slow but that's OK their personality makes up for it. The interior is quirky, so it's a love it or hate it thing. I loved it. Seats are very comfy up front, in back they're nearly useless. Even the Countryman, which is better, is not a super roomy car. But if carrying 4 people isn't a big deal for you, it'll have plenty of room. MPG was very good. Even with my fully loaded S model, I got 34mpg, and could touch 40 if I was being crazy careful. Cars are just machines, and I don't believe in giving them names or "personalities", but the MINI sure as heck makes you smile every time you sit behind the wheel. It never gets old.

However, and it's a HUGE however, they are tremendously unreliable cars. Just do a Google search for "MINI death rattle" and you'll see what I mean. From the moment they came out, they haven't been a pillar of reliability. The R56 generation had quite a combo...owned by BMW (which doesn't make reliable cars anyway), using a French engine (again, horrible reliability) and assembled in England. It's like the trifecta for unreliability. They are known for serious timing chain issues (the death rattle), catastrophic fuel pump failures, electrical gremlins and the auto transmissions were made of glass, among other things. Yes, you'll find an owner or two who swears they got 150k trouble free miles out of one, and I'm sure there are a few. But as a general population, they're reliability is terrible. The newest generation ditches the French engine, but replaces it with tiny BMW turbo motors, which aren't likely to have much better reliability. Early reviews by car magazines have confirmed continued quality control issues.

So, I'd say if you're prepared to deal with the reliability issues, then everything else about the car will keep your heart fluttering. They're so much fun, but I personally just didn't want to live with the potential headaches. There are far too many good quality fun cars on the road. Darn shame too, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if they were reliable.

My husband and I have already had this conversation. He is worried about the reliability. Sigh. I am just so tired of the run of the mill cars that all look the same.

He says he is agreeable to let me get one but does want me to know it may have expensive issues. He does know how to fix cars though and has done all of our repairs. He is actually getting a little excited about learning about a new car. He won't admit this, but he has been googling various issues and repairs to learn in the past 48 hours.

The MINI is certainly not run of the mill, and at least in my experience, that thrill of having a car as fun as the MINI never wears off. It was as fun the day I got rid of it as it was the day I got it. You'll love it. Keep in mind, at least in the generation up to 2013, the non-S model was more reliable than the S. It was much slower, as it has far less power, but everything else on it is the same. They call those "Justa" Coopers. If you can live without the extra power, look into them.

Make sure your husband knows that some of the servicing required on a MINI isn't something you'd do in your driveway on a Saturday afternoon. Some of the bigger repairs that they can encounter a very large amount of front end disassembly, simply because of how tight the engine bay is.

If you're prepared to deal with it's...uh...quirky...reliability, go for it. You'll be thrilled with ownership!!! :car:

The MINI is certainly not run of the mill, and at least in my experience, that thrill of having a car as fun as the MINI never wears off. It was as fun the day I got rid of it as it was the day I got it. You'll love it. Keep in mind, at least in the generation up to 2013, the non-S model was more reliable than the S. It was much slower, as it has far less power, but everything else on it is the same. They call those "Justa" Coopers. If you can live without the extra power, look into them.

Make sure your husband knows that some of the servicing required on a MINI isn't something you'd do in your driveway on a Saturday afternoon. Some of the bigger repairs that they can encounter a very large amount of front end disassembly, simply because of how tight the engine bay is.

If you're prepared to deal with it's...uh...quirky...reliability, go for it. You'll be thrilled with ownership!!! :car:

My husband wants the one with 4 cyl. He doesn't like the idea of a 3 cyl. car. Quite frankly, I don't care. That isn't my concern.

So, would you be fine with the lowest end model? I am not that concerned about heated seats or XM radio or upgraded sound systems, but I would like a backup camera, but am not finding those.

I really wanted the Countryman model, but am finding more of the Cooper models when searching for used.

I like fast cars, so I think the base model would lose some fun for me because of its' lack of power. They were something like 120hp if I recall. At the same time, they are more reliable than the turbo S models. I've also heard of people getting incredible fuel mileage out of them, especially on the highway. The have the same suspension, interior, etc...as the S model, so the only difference you'll really notice is the power. I personally like heated seats and XM radio (I spend 2.5+ hours per day in the car), but that's just my own tastes. I would be fine with a base model car otherwise. MINIs are so customizable, you'll have to shop carefully. Most car companies only offer packages, where you get 5 features as one package and can't get them individually. MINI has some packages, but does offer more a la carte options, so be careful to know what you're buying as far as options. There are some tell tale signs, such as the number of toggle switches on the dash, etc...but it's not as obvious as it would be on a Honda or Toyota.

I think the base model in the current generation, 2014+ is a 3 cylinder turbo, with the upgraded car being a 4 cylinder turbo. The previous generation, R56, which ran through 2013, will have the non-turbo 4 cylinder as the base option. You can pick up a low mileage 2011-2013 non-turbo for $9-11k all day long.

I answered your other thread. I have a 2013 Mini S and love everything about it. It's super comfortable, fun to drive, gets excellent MPG and I have had zero reliability issues in the 3.5 years I've had it.
Love my run flats--critical now that I live 25 miles from the closest dealership. (The only place I'll take my car. Their service rates are completely comparable to the local mechanics around here, and moreover, I trust them.)

Friend of mine is selling this 2014, asking $22K. In Portland OR.

15039679_10211339532828709_8127858233781779816_o.jpg

Oh man, no way I have time to go get it before Spring Break or Summer. Thanks though. (and I know DH would never agree to ship without test driving and seeing it in person first.)

Oh man, no way I have time to go get it before Spring Break or Summer. Thanks though. (and I know DH would never agree to ship without test driving and seeing it in person first.)
Understood. I'll continue to keep an eye out.

I'm on my second Mini----had to get rid of my first because my daughter outgrew the backseat. Got the 4 door Cooper when it came out 2 yrs ago. I love my Minis. Reliable, fun to drive, excellent gas mileage and just awesome. It's a challenge space wise at times but we've done beach trips and Disney with both my minis and did fine. My next car will also be a Mini.

I think we have settled on a red Countryman. We don't have the car picked out yet off the lot or anything, but that is what I want.....with a sunroof, so probably the extra package deal. I would love a stick shift, but we will see if I can find one.

It's pretty sad. When I got my 2005 they didn't even offer an automatic in the S model. Last time I was at my dealer they only had one stick in their entire inventory.

It's pretty sad. When I got my 2005 they didn't even offer an automatic in the S model. Last time I was at my dealer they only had one stick in their entire inventory.

I have been told several cars aren't even making them anymore. It is easier to find in the base models, but harder in the Countryman.

If you want the biggest heap of junk this side of the Renault Le Car, then a Mini may be for you.

Agreed, my niece was "smitten" with her MINI at first, and 6 months later couldn't wait to get rid of the hunk of junk. It's a rough ride, noisy, and uncomfortably low to the ground.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter