Do You Have A Passport?

Originally posted by Gdoody

Curious - we crossed at Fort Erie. The officials were not unfriendly or anything, other than shining their flashlights in the car to verify that everybody was there you should have been, and that one comment, which could have been more a scare tactic than anything else. It could also be the person that we got, who may have let the power go to his head. While I have seen this before, I did not think anything of it this time, given the previous weeks events. Cars were also being stopped by the US officials on the US side when entering into Canada, however, they simply looked in the vehicly and waved us through.-

That is very similiar to our experience on the US side.

I was just reading your signature line and see that you were in the Hurricane Floyd evacuation as well. we were living on Hilton Head Island at the time and I had just given birth to my son. He was less then a week old, my mom who was staying with us had just been rushed to the Hilton Head medical center for an emergency operation and we got the word that they were evacuting the Island. My husband was at the hospital with my mother, I was at home with a two year old and a 7 day old trying to decide what I could put in the trunk of our car to save. We had to be off the island by 9:00am the next morning my mom was airlifted back to Ontario at 8:00am and Dh met me at home and we drove the 10++ hours to Atlanta (which should take about 5.) Everything did turn out okay with everyone including my mom but that was trully the worst experiences of my life. Being at the Orlando airport when they closed it on 9-11 was a close second though.

Allison

We don't have passports and will be going to WDW in November. I haven't really thought much about them since a travel agent told me that we really didn't need them. We have two kids ages 6 & 8. I was just going to take our health cards, birth cert's and driver license picture cards.
Will that be enough?

Health cards with pictures are NOT considered a form of ID and can't be used as such I have been told.

Health cards with pictures are NOT considered a form of ID and can't be used as such I have been told.

Speaking of using photo health cards as ID ... I was in Old Navy the other day and I saw someone trying to pay for a $1000 purchase using a cheque and a health card for ID ... The salesperson wouldn't let her complete the purchase unless she had a driver's license or credit card with her...

Country Duck: As it stands right now, you will be fine with you bc, and drivers licence. As stated here previously, for some reason health cards are not usually accepted as valid forms of ID. Canadians travelling to the US or Caribbean may still do so with a birth certificate and photo drivers licence. If you children are old enough to be in high school, also take along their school photo ID. We used this two years ago for our teens on a Carnival cruise and it was accepted as kids under 15 1/2 don't have photos on even their health cards. Also make sure that if you are travelling without the childrens father, to have a notarized letter from him saying that you are allowed to take the children across the border.

With all that said, a passport is still the preferred form of ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter