Do you have any tips?

minnie1928

WDW addict
We are taking my dad who has Parkinsons to WDW for the first time next month. His mobility isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. Lately, he has been getting "stuck". Meaning that he walks up to a task, then can't turn around. I thank god that he has a great sense of humor about it, he and mom are always joking that if he doesn't return from the bathroom in 10 minutes that he didn't fall in, he just can't turn around!

I already contacted Walker Mobility to rent a ECV for the duration of the trip (they couldn't have been nicer!!!). My husband and I have gone to WDW many, many times but this will be the first time for travelling with dad. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Take afternoon breaks.

Maybe go to Walmart or the grocery store so he can practice with an ECV without all the crazy Disney crowds.

Have a great trip!

Stacey

Usually if you are in a ECV or wheelchair you don't need a GAC as this is already catered for however, I have a friend with parkinsons and I know that he would also need some other considerations besides mobility. You need to assess his needs carefully to see if a GAC would be appropriate.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Sue

Have him practice driving around a bit at the resort first to get comfortable, include some practice with bavking up since he will sometimes need to do that (manouvering on buses and to get into or out of parking spots at shows).
Epcot is probably the best spot for a new ecv driver to go first. It has wider walkways and does not usually seem as congested as the other parks. I would have him save MK for when he is confident driving. The walkways are narrow and very crowded.

If he wears shorts, don't forget to put sunscenn on his legs. You can get very badly burned thighs in a few hours because they are not an area usually exposed to the sun.

The GAC that was mentioned is a Guest Assistance Card and can be requested at Guest Services in any of the parks. Someone using an ecv or wheelchair doesn't need one if their needs are taken care of by having the wheelchair or ecv in line with them. Just having the ecv will allow use of the accessible entrances.
But, some people have additional needs, like needing to have a place to wait out of the sun or heat. That's where the GAC comes in; it's a tool to inform CMs about some of those invisible needs that someone with a disability might have.
You don't need a doctor's letter, just be able to explain what his needs are. The GAC is good at any of the parks and is usually issued for the person with a disability and up to 5 members of their party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter