Do you think a new improved version of The Disney Store will make a comeback someday?

Would you shop at a new revived Disney Store?

• Yes

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Since the Disney Store went broke I often wonder if perhaps someday a new improved version of The Disney Store will make a comeback in the future? Because the way I see it the new version of The Disney Store would be better and be like a Disney version of Bass Pro Shops but with Disney merchandise inside and each store would have a stage at the entrance for special events such as character and celebrity meet and greets and children's storytime hours and it would be so amazing and fun. Because seeing what FAO Schwarz and Toys "R" Us did with their stores in New York a format like this could revive The Disney Stores and Disney would make money with the revival of The Disney Store in this style of format. Because I found it shocking that Target and JCPenney sell Disney Store merchandise and this style of format for the Disney Stores would've saved them from going bankrupt and closing. And since big toy stores have disappeared from malls and almost anywhere a Disney Store revival would be just the ticket for Disney to do and it would sell a lot of merchandise and make a ton of money for the malls as well as Disney too
Do you agree that the Disney Store needs to be revived again?

I really loved the Disney Store. As someone who lives kinda far away from WDW, it was a place I could go when I really needed a Disney fix. I didn't buy something every time (which was probably why they closed so many stores), but I often bought a t-shirt on sale or a cute coffee mug. It was just nice having that little slice of Disney near my hometown.

I thought it was fun when Target and Disney partnered to offer a selection of Disney items in a special area. I was so excited the first time I saw that. But I think that has also discontinued because I only saw that a few times. I normally still poke around to see if I can find something Disney, but it's not the same.

I don't think so -- I imagine with the amount of inventory (and prices) they have on their online store, they are making hand over fist without the overhead of physical stores -- no checkout employees, no leases in malls, no shoplifting. It's a shame because in the 90's The Disney Store was the place for me at the mall.

I for one would love it. Back in the day when our mall was filled with great stores, I used to go all of the time. When DD was little, she thought The Disney Store was WDW, and I did not bother to explain that it wasn't lol. I got away with it until she turned 6, and then the trips began. I spent a lot more money in the brick and mortar store than I ever would online. We could try things on and see what we wanted in person.

I have no intention of going to WDW or Disneyland until things improve for the customer. In the meantime, I have hundreds of dollars worth of Disney Gift Cards and would love to go spend them at The Disney Store if it was back in my mall. For now, I will hold on to them until perhaps one day, Disney begins to cater to the guests once again and provide the magical experience we used to have.

I really loved the Disney Store but I don't see it coming back in it's original form. During the end of it's life, I found myself never buying anything, only going in to look around. Almost everything in my local Disney Store was for babies/toddlers and they never had anything for adults. It's most likely cheaper for Disney to operate ShopDisney than to pay for mall space to have physical stores. Not to mention that there are SO many other companies to get official Disney merchandise from nowadays, including places still in malls in Box Lunch and Hot Topic.

Does it need to be revived? No, not at all. Will, it someday? I doubt it, but I suppose anything is possible. The world, in general, is moving away from brick and mortar retail. And Disney, more specifically, has other areas to focus its energies than brick and mortar. The mall was never the best option to sell their products, anyway. The main customers, especially in malls, is children. They don't carry a lot of money, lol. So you were relying on parents to shell out the money to buy stuff for kids. Parents are more likely to do that on vacation at a theme park or buying something online for a holiday or event than they were to shell out money for Disney stuff every time the family needed to go to the mall

Since closing the majority of stores the Consumer Products division hasn’t skipped a beat on revenue and has actually increased profits. For that reason alone Disney probably doesn’t go back to a retail store.

Disney has been better served providing licensing agreements through other retail stores.

I always enjoyed stopping into the Disney Store when I lived up north and there was one near me. But they really went downhill and I seldom bought anything.

Would they create a new store model? I seriously doubt it. The days of "brick and mortar" stores are winding down. It's much simpler for a company to create an on-line store to move their merchandise. Yes, I know all the arguments for/agains having a physical store. I just don't see Disney going that route.

I would love it, but I don't see it ever coming back. I could maybe see some larger, WOrld of Disney style installations in big markets, but that would be the extent of it. Maybe pop-up stores sometimes, but honestly, brick & mortar retail is in a tough spot and I don't think Disney really wants to get back into that.

No, there have been three versions of The Disney Store that I know of.
original version, the one that sold to the Childrens Place (?) and then the one they did once they bought it back. So yeah, no

I could maybe see some larger, WOrld of Disney style installations in big markets, but that would be the extent of it. Maybe pop-up stores sometimes ...
Yes, exactly. It looks like they still have a store in New York City. I could see them having a few flagship stores in other large cities (Paris, London, etc.). And I really like the idea of a pop-up store, but it doesn't seem like that model worked at Target already. Maybe they'll try it again sometime.

I would love it, but I don't see it ever coming back. I could maybe see some larger, WOrld of Disney style installations in big markets, but that would be the extent of it. Maybe pop-up stores sometimes, but honestly, brick & mortar retail is in a tough spot and I don't think Disney really wants to get back into that.
I don't think the prices they charge at World of Disney are sustainable outside the parks bubble.

Yes, exactly. It looks like they still have a store in New York City. I could see them having a few flagship stores in other large cities (Paris, London, etc.). And I really like the idea of a pop-up store, but it doesn't seem like that model worked at Target already. Maybe they'll try it again sometime.
I know the Dublin store is still open but based off of recent videos I've seen it's mostly Marvel/Star Wars.

The Shibuya store in Japan is probably the coolest Disney store I've ever been to. The theming is amazing and has a lot of exclusive merch you can't get elsewhere.

we stopped by the one in NYC last week, i was expecting a world of disney (thats my fault), it wasnt anything special

I don't think the prices they charge at World of Disney are sustainable outside the parks bubble.

I don't know. They sell a lot of the same merch at the same price online. It seems to do okay. I would imagine though that any store implementation would not specifically stick to parks merch.

we stopped by the one in NYC last week, i was expecting a world of disney (thats my fault), it wasnt anything special
I agree I was there about a week and half ago, it was not worth walking over to check out. If they turned into a world of Disney I’d go every time I was in NYC.

Brick and Mortar stores are gone. Best you can hope for are some pop-up sections in places like Target or other big box companies. It was an easy expense to take off the books and shift everything online. I just want them to bring back the Shop Parks app so I can get what I want outside of being in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter