Doctor Who, MIA Hurricanes and no crowds! (8/28-9/7)

Final Thoughts and Conclusion!!

After we did 2 long but close to each other trips last year, we kind of felt a little burnt out from Disney. They were great trips and we'll never forget them. They were the first time we saw fall and winter and the only times we didn't see summer. It's sparked a desire to see other seasons, holidays and special events. We just love it. Also during these trips is when my daughters interest that "you can work here" started. At first it seemed like a "wouldn't that be nice" but it kept growing. One of my favorite people and lifelong friend decided she wanted to vacation to visit us with her kids, she mentioned disney. this is what originally sparked this trip and we booked it fast while we could get free meal plan! Their situation changed and they couldn't make it but we were back in Disney Mode again and we kept the reservation..

More and more discussions and starting to look at the Orlando area as a possible place to live, it started to seem more than a wish and something easily possible. We're in the NYC area, you can't get much more expensive for cost of living than here so even the overpriced Orlando areas look low cost to us. Some more investigation and it's no big deal for me to move away and remain with the same job. I telecommute as it is so it doesn't matter if I'm 50 or 5000 miles away, as long as I can do my job. This trip started to take on a new meaning. What else is around? what type of work can I find if my situation changed? Where is a good place to live and commute to a WDW career for my daughter? We went down with different eyes..

It's interesting what you notice when your evaluating a place on if you can live or work there. We saw so many things we previously overlooked and where things are in relation to each other was a bigger deal now. With some help on the forums, we got a lot of really good suggestions for places to stay and going back to older but this years dis unplugged, we got a better feel for the area outside of disney. Its information that was extremely helpful and we think we covered the basis and for all intentions, we're moving to Orlando next year!!! We're hoping to be down there in time for the WDW summer start to enjoy the 24 hour MK day as well as the Dis Unplugged 10th anniversary week that Pete has mentioned will be in July. We've also started to make more friends on here and turns out some of them are also moving down next year! It's makes so much more sense to move. I don't have anything tying myself to here, my daughter really wants to try a Disney career, I don't need a new job, it costs a lot less to be there and we keep traveling there anyway. If we just reversed living there and visiting elsewhere, we would save a fortune and be closer to the things we love full time. We're also really excited by all the things we never have time to try and closer than ever vacation destinations down there. It's going to be great!

Reservation thoughts...

The free meal plan offering forced us into a different resort than we would normally choose. We're already thinking to move so deluxe was out of the question. Our original reservation was for POP as it was somewhere our friend could afford but once she decided she can't make it, running numbers, the free plan on a moderate made more sense for us and we like the moderates. We couldn't do POFQ with the deal so we went with CBR. We were leaning towards CSR but we figured just renovated is better than just starting to renovate. This was a new resort for us and all we could see on paper was "DAMN IT'S HUGE AND 7 BUS STOPS!". I didn't really know what a preferred room was but it fit the budget so I got that anyway. 2 days before we arrived when the bridge was closed we were very happy we did this and it worked out well for us.

We ultimately near the last second upgraded the free meal plan to deluxe. As we saw the weather and things going on, we decided we were going to make use of food options around disney to take it slower and get into air conditioning more. It didn't really work out that way in the end and with some days we were both under the weather/edge of heat exhaustion, we just didn't use the meal plan how we expected too. Overall, it would have been cheaper to stick with the free plan and not upgrade it. On the other hand we used it heavily for beverages and ice cream but that would have been cheaper out of pocket. It was nice to have it mostly paid for up front though and i'm not complaining, this was one of our cheapest trips yet...

Where we went wrong last year is not factoring in discounts from Annual Passes and Tables in Wonderland cards. We should have went annual pass for our first trip. The lower cost for rooms, the merch savings and food discounts across all 3 trips we spent about double. That's also factoring in 2 trips had normal multi day tickets that wouldn't have been needed for 2 of these trips. Our 3 last trips were all within 12 months. We weren't often WDW travelers before that, we just didn't think we would use it. The discount alone and not returning would have made it worth it for just 1 trip. It's something I think most don't factor in. There is lower cost rooms and discounts that you get with only 1 person being and AP holder. It's harder to guesstimate and see the deals without being an AP holder so it's harder to tell when to go that route.. For us, it would have been a huge cost savings to do it sooner.

We did upgrade to AP this trip but not Tables in wonderland. We were on the meal plan and just didn't need the discount yet. We saved some money and in the future we'll get the card. Also if we time it right and not residents yet, it's cheaper for TiW and if the rumors are true and it's going away, we haven't lost any money by getting it.

Planning thoughts...

We never plan much. for us it's some random fp+ on various days, a couple ADRs up front for harder to get place and that's all the planning we do. It works well for us and as you can read didn't cause any problems. We also used disney dining scout this trip a lot and it took care of finding a slot while we just enjoyed the parks. You just had to be quick with your phone to get reservations if they happened the same day. We're fine with quick service and some of them have some really nice meals if you go late enough. Steaks and others things you don't expect to find at something fast food like. It's also always available so no biggy on how plans change. We do like the hot breakfast though. We're not big fans of buy groceries and eat in the room. We want to leave the room, have someone else cook and just start the day out of the room. It's probably the NYers in us where you don't have much more than a single room for everything in the first place. We're on vacation, we want a different room for breakfast and coffee..

I packed a mixed collection of different clothes as I wasn't sure what to expect and strange out of season weather can happen. When I went primarily white the weather and sun wasn't horrible. when I wasn't, It was frying me fast. It lead to a lot of extra laundry and I had some white shirts but not a primarily white wardrobe. I also was kicking myself I didn't try wearing white sooner as the few days it was impacting me probably wouldn't have happened. other light colors might have been good but I didn't have a huge collection of options.

Crowds...

We were expecting the worse and really excited by the hurricane. We knew we could get there safely and it would be safe to be there. We loved katrina week when it was a ghost town. We had a really great time getting to ride anything and everything multiple times in a row in record setting speeds. We do more in less and very happy the place was empty..

We also saw some training going on. We met a ton of cast members who were actually training for the new Shanghai Park. They've never seen a park or place like WDW before and it's the closest thing that they have to what is being built. It's nice to see early training and thought to culture and what to expect happening from Disney. It was also really great to meet so many people that would otherwise have never left their country. They were doing great and taking everything very serious but in that fun loving CM disney way... They weren't obvious but as mentioned above, we were looking at Disney from a possible employer perspective this trip and it was one of the new things we took away.

It was also nice to see CMs out and about. You could tell it was their first real long break. most of the cast seemed to have 4 days off and they were in the parks doing what they loved with us. You can always spot them when someone not in costume is reacting to a button. They also have a different way to go around, they don't need a bag, they know where they are, they know how to skip around in a casual but quick pace. They also break out of the Disney Look but keep it at the same time. They were fun to enjoy the rides with.

Skipped things...

A series of events happened last year and we ended up on the VIP Ultimate Thrills tour shortly after it was started. We loved it, it's great to get VIP treatment, the preferred rides but without the cost of a private VIP tour guide. We didn't book it but were prepared to drop some coin if the entire week was crowded. It's a great ending day tour btw, we did it the first time on the last day if you have the time. 1 last ride on everything considered a thrill and only the FP line wait. We had low crowds and no problems going on things so we skipped.

We hated that morimotos and hangar wasn't opened yet. Disney needs to really speed it up, it's just a restaurant, it doesn't take over a year to build. WDL took a year, lets get back to walts legacy and step on the gas. We are going to offset this by a trip to morimotos up by us. I've had him cooking for us since he was iron chef working at nobu and then we used to live across the street from his first restaurant in philly for awhile jsut after it opened. We'll just circle through one weekend and get our morimoto fix. We're going to wait because i'm sure he's in town with final touches and staff training and will be for the initial month or two.

We also noticed that there is a series of restaurants that don't exist. Hopefully we'll start to see some thai, korean and indian places in the future, we do love that food. It may not matter once we move there though since I'm sure our restaurant trips will be more local fair and less WDW options when that happens.

I'm 95% sure I saw a last second summer value resort AP passholder discount for $47/night at all stars. I only checked the website the second night after I remembered to see how MDE changed and what costs really would have been if I booked it different. With the park not crowded, we didn't want to pick if we should extend a week that early so we waited to see how the weekend crowds changed. By that time it was too late and there was no value resort deal left. Moderates were nicely priced and POFQ a hair more but it wasn't $47/night.

Finally Enjoying things we used to hate...

We were really surprised to enjoy Animal Kingdom. We're big zoo and aquarium folks and we live in the NYC area with some of the best boardwalks and carnivals that exist. It's just not a park that felt special to us. This trip, with overcast so the sun wasn't beating us down and no crowd it's wonderful. Too small with rides and attractions but that is changing soon and we look forward to more options.. The one thing that always felt special is we were there when they were painting the mountain and nothing was themed in that corner. My daughter, 10 at the time just didn't' understand why she couldn't ride it now. we have a picture every trip of her in the same spot showing how it's changed over our trips there. It's like a height chart but travel version :)

Disney Transportation

I always see the threads here about how car is better for many and never really understood it. People talked about times with cars that was longer than us using the transportation. Staying at CBR, I get it. It does dramatically get longer when your in a resort with multiple stops and huge numbers of rooms. It did add to our time to get anywhere or back and I can see where car would have been better for this trip. Overall, I don't think we'll stop doing the transportation while we can because we like to park tile we drop and feel it would be unsafe to get back to the resort if we drove. We get back that tired..

We did do a noble deed one day. We were waiting for the bus when we noticed a large disney parks bag. It was obvious a mega expensive harry potter wand was in the bag and that wasn't the only thing in it. We didn't nose through the bag but we did call up the resort to report it so they could put it in lost and found. We did skip 2 buses while we waited for them to show up and get it. Hopefully the family that lost it was smart enough to call up to see if it was in lost and found or something i the bag was able to identify who left it so they could get a voicemail message that it was found and waiting for them.

Our future

We are in full move to Orlando mode now. We've seen some neighborhoods that we know will work great for our first year. We aren't looking to set perm roots the first year as there is so much new for us that we don't know about. The fun of purging, selling and figuring out what is going to move with us has started. We don't plan to run back down and live, we have some personal matters that need more time to attend too in order to make it happen. We are canceling out some fast trips we were going to do later this year and early next year. We're going to build up our safety net a lot more since i'm right on the edge of being comfortable after the hit I took this last recession.

We happen to both have our birthdays 6 days apart in March. We're going to do a simple but nice trip to celebrate both birthdays in the parks while doing our apartment search. Ideally if we can lock something on that trip for an April or may move it'll line up perfectly with our personal lives and work schedules. We might accelerate that if we end the year in a spot we're comfortable with because we hate the cold and it's getting old. We also hate the hot so why not go 1 extreme to the other!!!

Things Disney Needs to fix....

Where do you start??!?!?!?

Bypass Checkin: It's really confusing with multiple conflicting messages between the website and multiple emails. We didnt' know if we were actually going to get a txt when we were on site and nothing yet. At minimum, you should get an earlier txt that tells you that your still getting a txt and the room ISN'T READY. It would have reduced some anxiety that we might be waiting for nothing. Also fix up the website so it's clear on what to expect or needed. Maybe an ETA or Guestimate on when it might be ready in that your still waiting txt would be ideal to know what you can do while waiting.

Fastpass and tickets: I get the system, I hate it but I get it. You need to come up with some way to switch to annual tickets without being at the park. It's messing with getting fast passes. The same would go for any type of change that requires being at the park.

Fake Wait Times: The park was empty, we noticed that at meal time, everything got longer waits but smaller lines. We loved being in the know to just go in but when it's more crowded another day, you find yourself in lines you thought were empty and they aren't. It needs to be more consistent of a method to tell us how busy something really is.
ADR Horders: You shoud detect someone doesn't need an ADR every hour. It's really in the way of planning for those who are actually planning in a realistic manor. They don't cancel until the last second and some things are important to families and they have to plan missing it for no reason except there is a horder. A good neighbor guest would never have more than 3 adrs per person at max. I think 4+ should have a nice per person fee just to get the reservation.

Magic Kingdom: Let's face it, MK is a destination that many do a lot. All the new star wars and pandora guests are going to stop in even if they aren't disney fans. It needs an expansion also just to hold everyone your expecting to be at the parks in the future.

Calls from the bus stops should be a priority: i'm not sure who calls the operator or front desk from a bus stop on the resort phone but when we called it to report a lost bag we found, we sure waited a long time for someone to pick up. someone calling from a resort bus stop should be first priority to answer and it might be urgent and an emergency.

Last thoughts....

Overall this was a nice trip. It was a much needed break from work for me but it was a little much for my daughter. She was just traveling a lot and it was a little too long for her. In hind sight, it should have been a shorter trip or combined with someone else in the area to break up being in 1 place that isn't home too long. We did successfully decide that we should move down so it was a big win in that area.

When we got home thoughts....

We definitely triggered the systems for the maximum discount short notice trips. We came home to 9 different us mail discounts waiting for us to immediately turn around and come back. They are all incredible deals. We have some friends that are linked to our accounts and they are getting swarmed with them also.. That's not counting the emails or other discounts being thrown at us to return a few more times this year.

Now that we are AP, them plus the AP discount options are so tempting to go back. We need to stay strong, the less we go the sooner we move there and can go anytime.

Last edited:
I was one of those one visitor for every 10 castmembers during Katrina too! My mom and I took that trip together and it was a dream trip. Great weather and I do believe it is the only time I have gone to WDW and was able to do EVERYTHING that I wanted! Of course when you're on vacation you don't watch the news really so we didn't know the effects of Katrina to the New Orleans area until we got home.

It was amazing wasn't it? I happened to flip on the tv because with it so empty and alone with a 10 year old, we weren't closing down the parks. It was hard to get a tv channel that wasn't the news. I didn't know exactly what was going on in New Orleans but I knew it wasn't good and we just left the tv off since she was younger and I didn't need to panic her while in florida.

We most likely saw each other, I think there was only 5 other guests in total besides us :) It's hard to imagine that or explain to people just how empty it was. I remember every cast member for every ride when you got the the end asked "anyone getting off" and giving you a nanosecond before the ride started again.

Last edited:

Loved your trip report! Getting my Disney fix before our trip in Nov. We were down there two days after 9-11 so I know about empty parks! I laughed about your comment on riding rides mutiple times. We were at AK and stayed on Kali Rapids four times in a row! Each time we arrived at the dock another couple would get on and I joked they were not going to let us off until the boat was full!!!

That's it! from now on I am doing last minute trips during hurricane season whenever there is a threat of a storm! Living in Fl makes it easy to do that, and i never thought of going when there is some weather coming our way. Most of the time the forecasters way over-exaggerate how bad its going to be. thanks for the report.

That's it! from now on I am doing last minute trips during hurricane season whenever there is a threat of a storm!.

It does seem to be a reliable pattern if you can time it where people start to cancel/move their vacations. The weekends were both packed but that week inbetween was really nice and almost do anything you want with no planning.

I love who you had Doctor Who day, and the "doctor" showed up with you at MK.
So magical.

Also you didn't miss much about missing the rapid ride, Grizzley Run in DCA is WAY better, and more exciting.
The rapids you get soaked.

Not wet, but drenched to the bone soaked.

Hi Bryan! Just skimmed through your report, the pics are great, looking forward to going back over it and reading everything. Thanks for sharing! :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter