Does Disney make rooms accessible for non-ambulatory issues?

MBW

Mouseketeer
We're looking at a few nights at the AKL in early March, and with 2 adults, 3 kids and one toddler, we would need to book a "deluxe" room. This is fine, as we want to stay concierge anyway (it's our 10th anniversary.) There are two kinds of queen deluxe, one with two queens, and one with one queen, bunk beds and a daybed.

For us, bunk beds are just not an option. Two children with autism, one in particular with climbing issues and no fear, do not mix at all with bunk beds. So for us, this room is not in fact "accessible". However, the two queen room only sleeps 4 + 1 under 3.

Will Disney put a daybed into a double queen to make it accessible for us if we request it well in advance?

In this situation I think that Special (Medical) Reservations would not work, as they are pointed more toward mobility access than other types. However, I would suggest calling the WDW main number, 407-824-2222 and asking for the General Manager's Office at AKL. The GM, or one of the "Special Assistants" should be able to discuss the situation with you based on the needs. Whoever you speak to should suggest the type of reservation to get. Be sure to get that person's name and direct phone number. Once you have actually made the reservation contact that person with the reservation number and they would be able to block a specific room for you.

When you call, they may or may not route you to Special Reservations. I know some people have dealt with them for getting things like a first floor room - because they were afraid of being on a higher floor with a child with autism who would have no fear of climbing over a balcony rail if he could.

I know that some hotels will rent a fold up cot or trundle bed. Since they can be stored in a small space they are more fit to pass fire standards. I think there's a rule about having a certain amount of space per square inch of a room. I know I read on one of the Disney hotel sites that they'll rent a cot or trundle for an additional fee ($20 I think). Just a suggestion.

Christamae

I know that some hotels will rent a fold up cot or trundle bed. Since they can be stored in a small space they are more fit to pass fire standards. I think there's a rule about having a certain amount of space per square inch of a room. I know I read on one of the Disney hotel sites that they'll rent a cot or trundle for an additional fee ($20 I think).

I was thinking about the possibility of a trundle or cot, although I don't believe they should cost extra due to their disability. The cost of the two different layouts is the same, though one sleeps 4 and one 5. The size of the room is the same, I'm pretty sure. I think I'll call and ask tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

First of all, the regular rooms at AKL are smaller than those at CBR. I have this information from a person who worked for several years as a housekeeper in those two hotels.

The rooms are designed for four people plus one in a crib. You have five people plus one in a crib. Reservations will not make a reservation for a room with more people than the capacity.

You have several choices. You can lie about the number of people, but of course that is dishonest. You can get two connecting rooms (this is where you can go from one room directly to the other without going into the corridor or outside) which has the advantage of two bathrooms. You can get a one or two bedroom suite at one of the home-away-from-home locations.

The only time you can get a connecting room at no charge is if the group would normally fit in one room, but because of a mobility issue you have to get an accessible room with a king bed. From the situation you describe you do not qualify for an accessible room.

AKL "standard" rooms only sleep 4 + 1. "Deluxe"/concierge rooms, according to WDW's own website, sleep 5 + 1. (I put all of our info into the WDW wysiwyg, and it gave me AKL as a choice for 5 + 1). There are also a number of other resorts whose deluxe/concierge rooms sleep 5 + 1 (BWI, WL, BC, YC.) Since I'm also researching a travel book, I'd never lie about our numbers, as it would be stupid as well as dishonest (more likely to be discovered, and more embarrassing if it is.)

We already have reservations for a 2BR at VWL for the five days prior. But we also wanted to be pampered a bit with concierge since it's our anniversary, and since at least one AKL configuration will sleep 5 + 1, we shouldn't be penalized due to disability if we want to stay at the resort at that room/service level.

Some deluxe rooms at AKL have two queens and a daybed--I've stayed in one. If you are a CL guest, you will be in a deluxe room. So this entire thread is moot. Just tell the concierge folks WHY you need the room with two queens and a daybed, and they will make it happen.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter