Does MCO have the new Body Scanner that everyone is chatting about?

edk35

DIS Veteran
We didn't fly in July when we were last at WDW...however we are flying from BWI (Baltimore) to MCO on Jan. 21st. I would love to know more about these and do all major airports have them now?? Thanks

We didn't fly in July when we were last at WDW...however we are flying from BWI (Baltimore) to MCO on Jan. 21st. I would love to know more about these and do all major airports have them now?? Thanks

Yes they putting them in this past week and start training their agent no word when the will start to use them proberly within the next week they will start to use them.

Yes they putting them in this past week and start training their agent no word when the will start to use them proberly within the next week they will start to use them.

So everyone walks through them now??? Or is it random ??

Not sure i think everyone has to use them unless you upt out and go for the pat down you have a choice.

At this point there are no airports that have 100% scanning in place, it is a multi-stream process where individuals are randomly (or not so randomly) selected for scanning or if declined a pat down.

So everyone walks through them now??? Or is it random ??

At the moment, TSA is saying that the scanners are not primary screening devices. As pp said, there is "selection" and once "selected," one either goes through the scanner or "opts out" and gets a patdown.

In the last two weeks I have seen them at SJC terminal B (unused). DTW McNamara (in use but only for one lane of one checkpoint). Not at SFO terminal 1.

Flew out of MCO this morning. They were not being used at our security check-point in terminal B.

I flew out of MCO today. They are installed at the checkpoint for Terminal A, and it looked like they were using them on a few people. But not on the majority, which was fine with me.
(now the TSA carryon xray screener was a pill on a power trip, but his supervisor now knows about that) :rolleyes1

I flew out of MCO today. They are installed at the checkpoint for Terminal A, and it looked like they were using them on a few people. But not on the majority, which was fine with me.
(now the TSA carryon xray screener was a pill on a power trip, but his supervisor now knows about that) :rolleyes1

Would you care to elaborate? Did you also call the complaint number . . . 1-866-289-9673?

Sorry to burst everone bubble but tsa agents are federal employees Whig mean they can't be fired. And it hard to get ten suspended and if they do they treat it like vacation so I wouldn't waste your time complaining because their nothing that will he done to them. They get talked to but when their no fear if being fired they no real punishment they can give them. If they want to suspend them it could take a couple of weeks because they have to have their union rep aurgue and turn it around on their managers. So call the numbers if you want you have the right to but just know that nothing will be done. They will let you know how sorry they are and tell you they will investigate which they will but not to get them in trouble to prove you wrong it just easier then going through the trouble of punishing that tsa agent. When you complain at the airport they talk to them and get your side and theirs make it look like they did something. There was an agent got cought sleeping in the terminal on camera got put on desk duty jot suspend while they investigated and she was back on the job a week later it made the news so they had to put her on desk duty for show.

Would you care to elaborate? Did you also call the complaint number . . . 1-866-289-9673?

It wasn't a huge deal...but as a frequent flyer/traveler, I knew he was out of line. There was a very helpful TSA agent just where you start loading your things into the bins, reminding people what to take out to keep it all smooth, etc. He was also (correctly) reminding people to not send their bins through the xray until they were ready to walk through. (This is correct, as you should not allow your belongings to get so far ahead of you that you are not somewhat in control of them.)

When we got to the part where you put the bins on the belt into the xray, the guy looking at the xrays was yelling at people..."move the bins through!" etc. Well, I refused, as there was some backup at the WTMD, so I told him I would push my bins when I was about to walk through. He kept yelling. I told him to chill out, and later, after I collected my belongings, I told the supervisor to tell him to chill his jets, and that he was contradicting the correct advice that the first TSA agent was telling people. She (the supervisor) agreed with me and said she'd talk to him. I didn't feel like it was enough bother to fill out a comment form, though.

I do think...maybe...this might have been the same TSA agent who THREW a bin at me a couple of years ago. (I threw it back) :confused3

CPT--we're totally in agreement on most of this security stuff, btw.

DisneyDavid--I know there's a bureaucracy in place. And this wasn't a huge deal. But I won't be treated poorly in the "name of security" when they can do their job more professionally. I fly too much to put up with too much crud on their parts, as long as I'm doing my part.

If you are opting out, be prepared for the full body pat down. I was told that if you do choose to step aside, you will go through the traditional metal detector and then an agent will pat your entire body down, including your crotch and buttocks area (with the back of their hand, not the palm of the hand in the crotch area).

snip

DisneyDavid--I know there's a bureaucracy in place. And this wasn't a huge deal. But I won't be treated poorly in the "name of security" when they can do their job more professionally. I fly too much to put up with too much crud on their parts, as long as I'm doing my part.

:thumbsup2

If you are opting out, be prepared for the full body pat down. I was told that if you do choose to step aside, you will go through the traditional metal detector and then an agent will pat your entire body down, including your crotch and buttocks area (with the back of their hand, not the palm of the hand in the crotch area).

Where did you hear this? Palm of hand is reported by many frequent flyers and is not disputed by TSAers.

It

I do think...maybe...this might have been the same TSA agent who THREW a bin at me a couple of years ago. (I threw it back) :confused3

I sorry i didn't meantime sous like they should treat you bad I mean that if you think something bad going to happen to them it my. Every one should be treated with respect including tsa it dosnet give them a right to disrespect you. You did the right thing letting his superisor know but he proverb has a huge long list f complaint. Sorry again if I sound like it was alright for him to be mean to you or treat you bad it not just saying that thee kitten to nothing that can be done and they know that so that why they push the envolpe.

Where did you hear this? Palm of hand is reported by many frequent flyers and is not disputed by TSAers.

In some lines of work that's called a Happy Ending and it costs extra..... :thumbsup2

For more information on Advanced Imaging Technology being deployed by TSA there is quite a bit of info on their website.

One of the local Orlando TV stations reported that 5 of the Advanced Inmaging Technology (AIT) body scanning machines will be operating at MCO. The reporter said that they are used in a random selection mode.

MCO will become the sixty-seventh airport in the nation to use full-body scanners.

Read this pleaseL “‘Big brother’ is not watching you. There’s no reason to be upset,” U.S. Marshal Eric Thompson said.

One of the new scanners, on MCO's east side safety checkpoint, is expected to go fully operational Wednesday.

The other four scanners are on the west side of the airport. Security officials said all five body scanners at Orlando International Airport would be operational before the end of the year.

I know you didn't ask this specifically, but BWI does have the scanners now as well. I wasn't chosen for them last time I flew, fortunately. (and will opt out based on my experience using one in Indianapolis during the test phase last christmas)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter