• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does POFQ have a true "Disney" feel?

Jchoma

Mouseketeer
I've booked an 8-day stay at POFQ next April or my family of 4. We usually stay at CBR, but want to try something different. The small size & theme of POFQ appeals to us, and my kids think the pool looks fun. I love the idea of trying the Riverside pool, too, since the resorts share amenities. I'm hoping the resort feels like a true Disney vacation. We stayed at CSR last year, and while the pool & our rehabbed room were amazing, we didn't really feel like we were at Disney. I don't know how to put my figure on why CBR had that feel for us and CSR didn't, and I realize everyone has different opinions, but I'd love some input on your experience at POFQ...good or bad. Did it have that Disney feel? During a peak time (Spring Break), do you think it's a good option? Thanks!

we loved POFQ when we stayed. I dont think anything stands out as specific Disney themed, but its a fun Mardi Gras theme for sure.

I've booked an 8-day stay at POFQ next April or my family of 4. We usually stay at CBR, but want to try something different. The small size & theme of POFQ appeals to us, and my kids think the pool looks fun. I love the idea of trying the Riverside pool, too, since the resorts share amenities. I'm hoping the resort feels like a true Disney vacation. We stayed at CSR last year, and while the pool & our rehabbed room were amazing, we didn't really feel like we were at Disney. I don't know how to put my figure on why CBR had that feel for us and CSR didn't, and I realize everyone has different opinions, but I'd love some input on your experience at POFQ...good or bad. Did it have that Disney feel? During a peak time (Spring Break), do you think it's a good option? Thanks!

We love it, primarily for its size -- which I think would be ideal for a Spring Break trip, to help lessen the feel of the crowds. I grew up outside New Orleans, and to me POFQ is definitely a Disney-fied version of the French Quarter.

Maybe CSR didn't feel right to you because it's a convention resort?

I get that Disney feel at all of the Disney resorts I’ve stayed at or visited. But POFQ feels like home to me. That might be the difference. Neither CBR or CSR gives me the feeling of being “home.”

I really like CSR but will agree its more subdued than others, likely because its geared towards business travelers. We often saw convention attendees with lanyards around their necks, in dress clothes, working on laptops and taking conference calls and it detracted from our vacation bubble a little bit. They weren't problematic in the least, but very different vibe and feel than being around other vacationing, relaxed families.

We really enjoy POFQ and do find it has the Disney feel. IMO, you truly feel like you're walking through a little village or street when walking the grounds. Everything, including POR, is very accessible. Food court is also good.

Port Orleans French Quarter is my least favorite of the moderate resorts, not due to quality just some of the architectural details. We stayed there once a long while back. But is does have as much of the Disney feel as all the others and it is growing more beautiful on one side where the trees are voergrowing the walkways. It feels more like what you imagine the "old south" to be.

To my thinking, POFQ has much more Disney feel to it than CSR, but not as much as the value resorts. Pop has giant icons all over the place, and a lot more Mickey to it. Likewise AA is all about animated Disney and Pixar films.

POFQ on the other hand is purple and green and Mardis Gras and (of course) made to look like the French Quarter in NOLA.

That said, I was a grudging guest (it was all my wife could find for our short-notice trip). Being a huge Disney fan and someone not AT ALL into the Mardis Gras thing, I was sure I'd hate it. I was so wrong.

It's blissfully quiet. It's typically Disney immaculate. The cast members are wonderful. The location makes quick trips via bus to Epcot, DHS, and MK. And the boat ride via the bayou to Disney Springs is a blast (with the accompanying banjo music, LOL).

We love it.

What is a “ true Disney feel”? M
The Values are I your face theming. If that is Disney to you then no.
It is highly themed like New Orleans LA. The extensive theming feels Disney to me

I think one of the thing that makes Disney... Disney to me is when they give you a bubble and immerse you in that atmosphere. POFQ (and its sister Riverside) does that really well. It's serene and jazzy, and has subtle Disney touches that don't intrude too much in the NOLA/Southern-style bubble. Love it. When I want "in-ya-face" Disney, I go to Pop.

DH and I love POFQ. The resort reminds us a lot of New Orleans Square at Disneyland, including the food court menu (beignets!). We like the smaller resort size. There's just one bus stop. No matter which building you're in you don't have much of a walk to the pool, lobby or bus stop. It's also nice to take a relaxing boat ride to Disney Springs. One day we walked from POFQ to POR to visit the resort and ride a surrey bike.

I know exactly what you mean, despite it being really hard to explain. I’ve only spent one night at CSR, but it felt “off” for me from the moment I stepped off the bus. I felt very removed from Disney somehow, even with the little Disney touches and even the visible fireworks at night. I don’t really know how to put it into words, but it felt nothing like FQ or POR. I definitely feel the Disney when I’m there.

I get that Disney feel at all of the Disney resorts I’ve stayed at or visited. But POFQ feels like home to me. That might be the difference. Neither CBR or CSR gives me the feeling of being “home.”

I think you explained how I feel. I liked CBR, was ambivalent about CSR, but I love POFQ.

I am not sure any of the moderates scream Disney, however they all have a theme. How you relate that them to "Disney Feel' is subjective I think.

It is all about your feelings about Disney as to whether is "feels" like Disney. That needs explaining, I am 59 years old, I grew up watching the Wonderful World of Disney on NBC. As a child what made it so exciting to me was that regardless of what the show was that week you were immersed into what ever world or adventure they were in. It could be an African Jungle, the North Pole, the Old West, or the South Pacific. So if you ask me does it have a Disney "feel" then my standard is, does it represent what you imagine that place would be? Now certainly if you have been to the Carribean or Hawaii or even New Orleans, you have a sense of what that place is really like so you might not feel immersed when you are at WDW. Even though I have been to New Orleans countless times I still love POFQ because it feels like what your vision of NO should be. Only much cleaner and at the doorway to 4 parks and all the other things to do at WDW. Does that make sense? My strict interpretation of feeling Disney is not Mickey Mouse and the fab five. It is Disney's historic ability to tell story's and immerse you in the feel of the story. In that regard almost every resort does that in some way. Some better than others but still they each have a story.

Finally I love POFQ because after two offsite stays in 1994 my wife and two children stayed onsite at POFQ for the first time. We had a corner room, pool view near the river and had "the vacation" that made us Disney addicts. 36 plus trips later we still love POFQ and part of that is the memories it evokes based on our first on property trip. But even beyond that it is in my own opinion one of the best resorts on property for all the more analytical reasons. (Small resort, always close to food court, one bus stop with good service, with a boat to DS, a good pool and easy access to POR to enjoy their aminities which include a bar with Yee Haw Bob, a sit down resturaunt, and a really nice pool area and a fishing hole)

So yeah I think it's plenty Disney in my humble opinion.

I think it's the most Disney feeling moderate, but that could be because it's where we stayed on our first two WDW trips when I was a kid. The small size makes it feel more immersive, since you don't have any blank treed areas or parking lots when you're walking around the resort area.

I do like CSR quite a bit. It's never not felt Disney to me, but I haven't really encountered many conventions or business folks while there, which could be the difference. I thought that I wouldn't like POFQ and haven't stayed there 'yet,' but have visited and taken a carriage ride from POR around POFQ. I was pleasantly surprised. The Mardi Gras theme wasn't overwhelming and it was really just a beautiful and charming resort.

We usually start our vacation with a couple of nights at POR or POFQ, simply because we like to have our first meal somewhere in Disney Springs, and the boat ride taking us there is quintessential Disney.

POFQ is definitely our favorite moderate resort, maybe our favorite resort period. It feels very Disney to me. Think the flavor of NO without the gunfire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter