Does Universal have a GAC card?

kaykels

My happily ever after began on Castaway Cay
I was wondering if Universal was as accommodating as Disney with the GAC card? I have an autistic son and I don't see any threads about their policies. If not, I think I can upgrade a pass to get priority treatment in the lines.
Thanks for the help.

We went to Universal last August and found them to be as helpful as Disney. DS is autistic and loved Universal. The main difference at Universal we had to get a GAC each day we visited. It wasn't a problem as we just showed them the card we were given the previous visit. :wave2:

Do they have the same requirements? A doctor's note? Or dx and a note with his problems?

I've never given WDW or Universal a doctors note. We did have a doctors note with us last time we visited Florida (for the airline) and we did offer it to Universal but they said they weren't allowed to look at it.
I had never thought about doctors notes until I visited this Board :) .
We always have our DS with us when we go to Guest Relations. We have always found the Cast Members at WDW and Universal guest relations to be really friendly. :wave:

People who have family members with autism spectrum conditions generally have posted good experiences with GAC at Universal.
Those of us with family members who use wheelchairs and also have other issues have found Universal to not be so accomidating. It seems that if you hae a wheelchair, they are not willing to offer anything except an accessible line, evven if there are other needs

SueM in MN said:
People who have family members with autism spectrum conditions generally have posted good experiences with GAC at Universal.
Those of us with family members who use wheelchairs and also have other issues have found Universal to not be so accomidating. It seems that if you hae a wheelchair, they are not willing to offer anything except an accessible line, evven if there are other needs

huh...
when I had an ECV in both Universal & disney parks I found universal MOST helpful! 90% of the time I was ushered to front of the line access , wherever possible, without asking.. AT disney,,, they just looked at me & said 'get in line with the others'. I never asked for a GAC as I could walk short distances with no problem,, its the LONG haul through the parks (& standing for long periods) that my foot is in pain. ( which I am sure gets quizical looks , when I can walk pretty darn normal for short stints,,but I am not going to suffer <meaning, not, use an ECV> just because I don't 'look' disabled)

Universal was built with the regular lines accessible to wheelchairs/ecvs and you may find that Universal is very accessible if that is what you need, especially if you can get out of the wheelchair/ecv to board the rides that are not totally wheelchair accessible. If the regular lines are accessible and accessibility is all that is needed, then it's perfectly acceptable/expected to be told to use the regular line.
(The lines in the older WDW parks were not accessible to start with, but the newer parks and new/renovated rides at the older parks are usually fully accessible).
For mosts guests with wheelchairs or ecvs, an accessible line is all they need. Some people have additional needs besides just being able to roll in (like a quieter place to wait, avoid the sun, etc) because they have conditions that involve more than just mobility.

In past threads about Universal, most people with wheelchairs or ecvs who posted did not have the same experience with Universal that you did (ie ushered to the front of lines without asking), but they didn't expect front of the line access. Many who needed and requested additional accomidations besides an accessible line reported being told that the queues were wheelchair accessible and that was all that was necessary to provide. Most people with wheelchairs or ecvs don't expect front of the line access and would not complain about Universal not giving it to them, but some guests need other things besides just access.

From a positive standpoint, Universal has a very good Rider's Assistance Guide that can be downloaded from their website. It lists exactly what capabilities are needed to go on all of their attractions.

sadeeyore said:
We went to Universal last August and found them to be as helpful as Disney. DS is autistic and loved Universal. The main difference at Universal we had to get a GAC each day we visited. It wasn't a problem as we just showed them the card we were given the previous visit. :wave2:

Would you be willing to share with us what type of GAP you were given in your situation. it looks like Universal offers several different types and having DD waiting in a small room until ride time (Family room GAP) would be much more difficult (due to anxiety disorder, ASD) then being able to use the express GAP (similar to what is given out to guests of the Universal hotels). The gameboy might help for the family room for awhile, but if the family waiting room is really small (especially with no windows) she couldn't possibly do it for more then a few minutes.

I checked out the Universal web site and to stay at their least expensive hotel it is almost $300US per night. I simply can't pay that when I can get whole week at a skyauction property for about the same price.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Suzy V

When we were at Universal in 2004 we were told to use the Express Line (I think that's what it was called) - it was the line the hotel guests use.

We didn't have any problems at Universal or IOA. DS has autism and a learning disability, we found the Cast Members really helpful ::yes:: .

We were there last week for the first time and Guest Services was great. Our pass was dated for the day and it was to use the Express Line (their version of Fast Pass). Their machines are not operating so in order to have Express you either stay at their hotel or you pay for it per person. So basically, Universal was giving our family complimentary Express passes. Once in that line we waited with everyone else, but it wasn't too long a wait anywhere. They were also extremely helpful at attractions where we wanted to be together but take a chicken exit at some point with DS.

Did you have to show a doctors note? I got one for my son anyway. I'm going over Thanksgiving and I'm concerned that the lines will still be long. You can pay to get the express pass? That's a bummer. I would imagine a lot of people would do that during a holiday. How much is that?

No note, just needed to describe his issues. I believe the Express Pass was $16 per person. One day I went to US with my other DS and we checked it out, but decided to save our money and we ended up doing everything we wanted and then hopped to IOA because we had plenty of extra time.

Hmmm, good to know. My son has ASD but he's high functioning. He just gets a little withdrawn and overwhelmed in a crowd, and God help me if somebody TALKS to him or looks at him when he's in a big crowd. The card will certainly help him to have a better time (and us too!)

I hope you have a better experience at Universal than we did. I will not be going back there ever. The person we spoke to upon entering at guest relations was so rude. He gave me a pass so that my 3 yr old and i could wait in a seperate place then the rest of our family. When our family waited on the regular line and got to the front they would get us. This was totally unacceptable to me. The whole idea is to be together. Not only that but she only wanted to go on the rides becasue her siblimgs were. If she wasn't waiting excitedly with them it wouldn't be the same.My 3 yr old had a transplant, is highly immunosuppressed, has a newautoimmune liver disease which casues her to fatigue easily, hence tantrum when she is hot and tired and has an allergy to the sun and heat. So I ended up buying the fast pass, 150 for my family of 6.

On the way out I thought I would file a complaint so that Universal knew I would be following up with Americans with disabliities.
Guest services manager came ou, refunded our money after i splurted out the word discrimination of persons with unseen disablilities.

He was very, very nice.

BUT why did the 3 peopel earlier in the day bring me to tears. I spent a ton of money to be crying the first couple of hours.

I have seen other posts on this board about Universal being unreasonable to guests with special needs. That's fine i just spend my money at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter