Does using Ziplocs really help when packing? bringing food?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We'll be going mid Oct for about 12 days with two adults and 13 mo old dd. She won't be allowed luggage because we probably won't buy her a seat (2.5 hour flight) and she's usually quiet & content when sitting in my lap (more so than she would be in her own seat). Do gallon size ziploc bags save a decent amount of room when packing? Do you put one article of clothing in each bag? Do the clothes go back in as easily when they are dirty? I bought a bunch of costumes on sale for her, with shoes, etc, and need to squish them all in the luggage. I also want to pack an empty luggage for souviners. I usually pack a bag full of snacks and use that bag for souviners when empty. I heard bad things about packing food with the new security procedures, though. Can you still pack micro popcorn, fruit snacks, etc? I would prefer not to do laundry in the middle of my trip cause I have so many cool disney tsirts, etc to bring. Any tips are appreciated!

We bought 2.5 gallon ziplocs at Target and have used them for several trips already. I can actually fit two entire adult outfits in each of those bags! We found them to be really helpful as far as maximizing space in the suitcase and keeping things organized. I'd never travel without them again.

As far as traveling with food in your luggage, I don't know. I wouldn't think fruit snacks in a ziploc would pose a problem. Maybe someone else can help with that question.....

And don't forget to bring them large enough to put your camera and video equipment in it before you get in a water ride

I LOVE packing in ziplocs. They do save some space, but they really saave my sanity. I was famous for always forgetting some vital item (all or DH's underwear, one kids swimsuit). This has really helped with that! I put one entire outfit in each bag, undies, socks, tee and coordinating shorts. No forgetting things this way. When we went to WDW I even wrote on the bags for some days (Breakfast at castle had "fancy clothes", pirate cruise had a pirate mickey tee). When kids are older its also soooo nice to be able to just toss a bag at them in the morning. No "Mom I can't find any (insert item here: socks, underwear, shirt to match these shorts). Easy peasy!

With a little one, not as neccessary, but it would make it easy to find the "Cinderella outfit" if it was all in one bag together.

Jennifer

We always pack our young kids clothes in them & squish out the air. They we have them for when we need them. We put ice in each bag & place it in our cooler, then the water isn't all over everything. We use one for our camera in the fanny pack (Splash Mountain). What we don't use for the way home, we just pitch.

I also use smaller Ziplocks for things like sunscreen, face/hand creams etc. ... that way, if they break or spill during the flight, my clothes and suitcase won't be ruined.

Instead of ziplocks, use heavy-duty Spacebags or Compressor bags......: they sell them on infomercials, but better get them on Ebay

They also sell the space bags at Bed, Bath and Beyond for around $15 for 2 bags. They are thicker and actually keep the air out when they are not packed. I found that I have to pack the ziplock bags without sealing them until I am ready to pack them in a case. If I seal them and not put them in a case, they tend to let the air back in and then I have to squish the air out again to pack them. Not a big deal, but once I sit on them on the floor, I really don't want to do it again.

FYI, I can not find the 2 1/2 gallon bags at our Targets anymore. I did find them at Meijers, though. BUT, the Meijer ones let air in a lot quicker than the Target bags.

We have one space bag and I think I am going to buy a couple more for an upcoming trip. We had more, but our pup liked them and thought they were play toys! I thought I was all packed last year. Then I see the pup carrying something out of the bedroom and going back in and bring something else out into the hallway. I investigated and found he was carrying the bags into the hall to sleep on! The bags were about as big as he was, but it didn't stop him. He managed to get 4 of the bags out before I figured out what he was doing. Each of the bags had holes in the corners from his teeth. Now I put the packed ziplock bags in the case and zip it. Air can not get into the bags and he can not play with them. ;)

I just got back from Texas, and we brought back tortillas and fruit in a box. We taped it up well and checked it as part of our luggage. We did check with the airline, specifically telling them what we had, to see if checking a box of food was okay. It arrived just fine.
On the way to South Padre, we had a delay in Houston due to thunderstorms. Our luggage sat on the tarmac waiting for the plane to arrive. Our suitcases were wet on our arrival, and the few things I didn't put in bags were damp. Next time, everything goes in bags!!!!

We always pack one of those 'totes' expandable 'suitcases'. They fold into the size of a book and tuck easily into another suitcase. For the trip home we pack the dirty clothes that need laundering in that bag-no breakables. That way if it gets bumped around there is no problem and when we get home most of the laundry gets tossed to the basement in one bag!
If you get really crazy buying souvenirs and things there are several outlet centers in the vicinity of WDW and they all seem to have a Samsonite and or totes outlet. ( I enjoy watching the folks who need just one small additional piece of luggage to carry all the loot home!)

I use the 2 gallon ziplocs when I pack, and they work great!! A lot of people like to put a whole day's outfit in one, i.e.- shirt, shorts, socks, etc., but I like to put all pants in one, all shorts in another, all short-sleeved shirts in another, etc. for each family member. We usually go in Jan. or Feb. so its hard to know what kind of outfit you'll be wearing each day. When you see what kind of weatner ther will be for the day, you can just grab a pair of shorts from the shorts bag, etc. and it makes it easy!! Have fun!:D

Just remember ... there are now weight restrictions to luggage. Each piece must be less than 75 lbs. So, you may be able to stuff more ... stuff ... into a bag, but you may end up overweight.

We pack our DD's clothes in Ziplocs so she can just pick a bag with an entire outfit. No wasting time and arguing....just pick a bag.
We also pack our suntan lotions and other things that could possibly leak.
Ziplocs are good for rolls of film too, they're all in one place and not rolling around in the suitcase.
We bring breakfast and snack type foods with us as well and we pack these in Ziplocs as well.
I bring extra one's to bring home resort maps and the like. My DD always gets handed tons of Mickey stickers from Cast Members at the all the shops and we put these into the Ziplocs as well.

And on another point, I would highly suggest purchasing your child thier own seat in the plane and bring along thier car seat. I'm sure you would agree that any child's life is worth more than the cost of a plane seat.:)

I used white Christmas ziplock bags when we flew last year. They were 2.5 gallon size that I'd picked up for $1.00 a box at Big Lots. I just ordered from QVC the kind that you squish the air out and can see thru. The ziplocks did let air in. QVC has a 12 pack for about $27.00.

I've heard a lot about families with kids using the ziploc bags but are there any adults out there that use the bags. I tend to overpack but never get near the weight limit so the only reason I thought about bags was in case of a security search. I really don't want my clothes and unmentionables rifled through more than necessary.

Originally posted by honeymo78
I've heard a lot about families with kids using the ziploc bags but are there any adults out there that use the bags.
As I posted earlier on this thread, I've had no trouble fitting two adult outfits in a 2-1/2 gallon Ziploc. HTH!

I've heard a lot about families with kids using the ziploc bags but are there any adults out there that use the bags.

I do use the bags for my kids clothes, but I used them for mine, too!! I rolled up all of my shorts in one bag, all of my shirts in another, etc. and it worked out great!! Its great for repacking all those dirty clothes, too! It really does save a lot of room in your suitcase!

I agree that you should purchase a separate seat for a child no matter what their age!!! A turbulent flight will convince you of that. Check with the airline you are using and find out how the car seat you use fits in with their seats.

Also - how are you getting around at WDW? If you are renting a car you will prefer your own car seat as you are familiar with it - also why take the chance with a seat from a car agency?

Ziplocks and Spacesaver bags are a must - especially when security has been tightened. I was so happy to have everything neatly bagged when our checked luggage was unzipped and wiped (for explosives) right in front of us on our last trip (2/9-14/03). I couldn't imagine having security try to repack without those bags. We have a 4 yr old and need snacks to keep him occupied as well as chewing during the landings (his ears bother him). All of our travel snacks and toys in our carry-on were also in ziplocks. They really are the greatest for travelling. As far as bringing other snacks with you - we used to bring food knowing that the extra space in the luggage would be filled with souvenirs on the return flight. These days we find it more convenient to UPS down snacks to our hotel and have Souvenirs mailed back home through Disney. I've broken a few things - even carefully packed plastic toys - on return flights. We find the reduced back strain worth the money spent on shipping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter