Does you SO or family just not get it?

Suellen

DIS Veteran
I am lucky enough that my DH loves Disney just as much as I do. I have read over and over again here though that someones spouse just isn't as into it.

I know a lot of our family thinks we are crazy ~ and a significant amount of them think it is ME driving all our trips to Disney.

SIL even said she is just waiting for my DH to give the word so she can plan an intervention.

Funny thing is ~ DH is JUST as if not MORE into it as me.

My mom comes along for one trip a year... but no more than that. She enjoys it and spending all the time with the girls ~ but can easily get Disney'd out.

Does anyone have ideas for the comer wither who isn't THAT into the parks and all to help make them look forward to going back instead of just coming along to make the rest of us happy?

I don't know if I have any tips..but my family is almost the same! My mom and I are the Disney freaks! And sometimes we even lie when were going down just to save the hastle of...oh you could spend that money, on something else blah blah blah....but we dont want to! You never know what tomorrow brings and we love every minuite in Disney and it makes us happy! My aunt is going to FL this week to visit her husbands family and she kept saying to me were going to disney world for one day, I just want to see disney world, I've already been to MGM. I was so confused!! Finally realized she means the Magic Kingdom, lord does she only know during spring breaks how crazy it's going to be with no planning and only one day...bless her heart! Just keep loving what your doing cause we are...sometimes we just keep it to ourselves!:goodvibes

No, your not alone. I took my DP last summer for her very first visit, ever! We stayed at the Wilderness Villas, and it was 1st class the whole way. Sadly, she enjoyed the resorts more than the parks.:confused3 I was like..WHAT?? I'm thinking maybe it was SO darn hot and VERY crowded. She liked the parks enough to be willing to honeymoon there this year. I'm HOPING because it's Oct, the weather & crowds will be better and she'll LOVE it as much as I do. It is my MOST FAVORITE place in the world to be!!! :woohoo:

DH is so not interested in Disney. I took DD when she was 6 and DS went to my parents to camp with his "best friend poppa", DS was 3. I have been begging DH since to take both of them. We do a beach trip each summer with a group of friends. All of them frown on Disney. This year we are finally skipping the beach to do Disney. The group of friends are really mad at me. DH refuses to talk at ALL about disney.

So, I ear beat my kids when DH is not around!!! They are excited too.

It is hard not to be able to share the planning excitement with DH and to have to hear the snotty comments from the friends but secretly I think they are all idiots for not getting it!!! They are the ones missing out.

I took my mom along a few years ago, and got her actually hooked on cruising. We took the land/sea package. She also talked constantly about POR after we got back.

However, when I meet my dad and his wife once a week for dinner, I can see their eyes start to roll back in their head when I mention what I read on the disboards that day.......:lmao:

I own enough DVC points to spend 9 weeks a year at WDW. My husband could take it or leave it but even worse, our 3 adult sons feel the way he does. They will only go to WDW if I pay for the entire vacation; otherwise they want to go anywhere else.

I feel your pain! Im so thankful that my DH loved WDW too but our family, friends, co workers all think we are nuts! Especially my MIL.
I dont think there really is any tips you can give some to help make a NON BELIEVER a Believer.. (lol) you either get it or you dont.

Ive heard of other families say they took someone along who didnt get it until after their 3rd trip and then BAM the magic hits.

I took a family back in 2005 that just complained about standing in lines, the prices and having to get up to go to the parks or complained they just wanted to go swimming! I had the whole thing all planned out, down to meals and all, I even paid for all the tickets and NOTHING made this family happy!

So at this point I could care less what anyone else thinks, we know what we enjoy and all I can think is.. you have no idea what your missing!

I would not want anyone to come that doesn't or wouldn't enjoy it just as much as I do. If you have to convince someone, it's not worth it. Go with whomever else loves it. Save yourself some heartache.
My ex DH did not enjoy as much as me and my girls so he stayed home. We both did not have a problem with it. I didnt want him to come if he didnt want to be there. I didnt want to hear any comments about anything. So now i go with my girls, my mom, my sister and her kids. Their DH's stay home too because they do not love as much as we do.

I own enough DVC points to spend 9 weeks a year at WDW. My husband could take it or leave it but even worse, our 3 adult sons feel the way he does. They will only go to WDW if I pay for the entire vacation; otherwise they want to go anywhere else.

WHAT??? OMG, 9 weeks?? :woohoo: I'd be outta control! My mother, sister & daughters share my love, so between us, we would use them. One day...;)

My family doesn't get the whole Disney attraction,but I don't get the Aruba attraction either. My folks just retuned from their 10 weeks in Aruba and can't wait for next winter when they return. To each his own!

Either you get it or you don't.

I recently had a conversation with someone who was complaining about families that go to Disney all the time, saying why do they go to the same place? When I said that that's how I feel about the shore...same patch of sand year after year...seriously? They said, well it'a probably really relaxing. When I said, well that's how Disney is for many people...relaxing (in that invigorating sort of way!)...they seemed to at least sort of get it.

My MIL thinks we should "go somewhere else" and we actually do mix things up. SHe hates Disney.

Well, my brother in law and his family love Disney, same with my side of the family and I mean the WHOLE family, but poor hubby's eyes glaze over whenever I start to talk Disney.

I told him he will like it even if he doesn't or there will be trouble sad thing is, my dear sweet stepson agreed with me. :lmao:

Most of my family is on board. We are DVC owners as well as my uncle and 3/4 of my cousins. My brother and wife like to go, but they would rather go somewhere else. As for me, I could go 3-4 times a year and still want more ;)

I corrupted my sister a few years back..she is almost as Disney crazy as I am.:lmao: Then I took my dad in 2008, and he went from being someone who wondered why I loved WDW so much, to being someone who can't wait to go back.;)

I work slow but I'm determined..:rotfl2:

I would not want anyone to come that doesn't or wouldn't enjoy it just as much as I do. If you have to convince someone, it's not worth it. Go with whomever else loves it. Save yourself some heartache.
My ex DH did not enjoy as much as me and my girls so he stayed home. We both did not have a problem with it. I didnt want him to come if he didnt want to be there. I didnt want to hear any comments about anything. So now i go with my girls, my mom, my sister and her kids. Their DH's stay home too because they do not love as much as we do.
True...there was this couple behind us when we were waiting for FOTLK last year, the husband was complaining about everything, and in a really mean way. I felt so bad for the wife, she was practically in tears.:sad2:

My family doesn't get the whole Disney attraction,but I don't get the Aruba attraction either. My folks just retuned from their 10 weeks in Aruba and can't wait for next winter when they return. To each his own!
I didn't get the Aruba thing either, until we went last year- it is so relaxing! I think I would move there if it wouldn't turn my round trip airfare to WDW from $150-$700+ :rotfl:

I just say, "I've been other places and sometimes had fun, but I KNOW I'll have a good time at Disney. For what a vacation costs, it's hard to go anywhere else when there is someplace I can go that I KNOW will be fun."

With that in mind, I know Disney is not for everyone. Some people with very busy lives need to relax and rest during a vacation. Disney trips appeal more to people that like "doing" vacations such as skiing, hiking, rafting etc.

As a graphic designer, I also point out that Disney's high standards help "raise the bar' on my own work. Now if I can just get the boss to pay for yearly Disney "training". :)

Thankfully my DH loves Disney just as much as his DDs and I do. We always look forward to our Disney vacations. My DH has admitted that 6 months is just enough time inbetween our vacations :goodvibes. As for the rest of the family....his side could care less what we do because they know it is our money and we can do what we want. Plus his parents go on cruises at least twice a year and his brother and SIL go camping just about every weekend. Now my family, well let's just say they got used to the idea. They came to the realization that Disney is what we love and they know that when DH is on vacation, we are more than likely going to be going to Disney (except for the rare occasion). My mom and dad used to roll their eyes each time we told them we were going, until I had mentioned that it is no different than them going to their favorite vacation destinations twice a year (they love to go to Williamsburg Virginia and to Gatlinburg Tennessee and will not go anywhere else). Once I have said that, they have backed off quite a bit. Now they are kind of thinking about going on a Disney trip themselves but to just go to Epcot and stay at one of the Epcot resorts.....Go figure :goodvibes

My DH was like "been there, done that" after the first two trips. But I drug him along for a few more anyway :laughing: I actually almost fell off my chair in December because he asked if we could bounce back for Halloween during our Christmas trip. He said when we went for Halloween a couple of years ago it was so much fun - that parade was his favorite. I was like "do I know you?" :rotfl:

So there is hope yet for some of those lost souls! :thumbsup2

It isn't like my mom doesn't WANT to go. I would just like to add something special for her that will make her want to go back MORE!

Hahaha ~ she comes once a year but we make 3 or 4 trips a year and would like her to come at least one more time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter