Doing Disney overweight

I'm a size 16 and I find some of the turnstiles are akward...I always dread going through them...and I have to turn sideways. This year we had the stroller so alot of times I got to bypass them. Yippee!!

My husband and I both rode Astro Orbitor together once and we literally got STUCK in that ride. Two adults should not ride one car reguardless if you re pooh size or not. That was super uncomfortable and luckily I think we were the only two that knew we were stuck.

DH and I did this as well with the Astro Orbitor. When we did it, I don't know how many folks notice, but I noticed another family having the same issue. We ended up going in separate rockets, as did they;)

amie

Sorry about the knee issues.

Probably the biggest thing your will have to realize is that you may not be able to "tour" at a rapid pace as directed by Tour Guide Mike and others.

Just take your time and enjoy it all and take breaks.

Watching the shows and parades will also give your feet and knees a break too!

Tom

I just purchased Tour Guide Mike's thing-a-la-la, :scared: and was wondering if you have read it and been to Disney with his recommendations? Any one else out there bought his information and have been to WDW during a busy time to see if his advice/information works? I would love to know.

I've got a lower back that can be sensitive at times, and I have a problem with high arches in my feet. I'm wondering if riding the thrill rides should be off limits to me, and wondering if anyone has shoe advice. I'm pooh size as well 24/26 and don't want to get there for six days and not be able to enjoy myself. I can't thank you all enough for being imformative about weight and rides, I was wondering if this was going to be a problem. Now I can relax and know that I'm going to have fun.:woohoo:

I've got a lower back that can be sensitive at times, and I have a problem with high arches in my feet. I'm wondering if riding the thrill rides should be off limits to me, and wondering if anyone has shoe advice. I'm pooh size as well 24/26 and don't want to get there for six days and not be able to enjoy myself. I can't thank you all enough for being imformative about weight and rides, I was wondering if this was going to be a problem. Now I can relax and know that I'm going to have fun.:woohoo:

One word on shoes...Crocs. I'm a big girl, too. I can go all day in my Crocs. I also have high arches and when we went last year my feet would hurt so bad in the morning I'd have to hold on to something until I got going. After wearing my Crocs all day, I can hop right up in the morning and get going. LOVE them. Also, I have some broken in Birkenstocks that I like but by far the Crocs for walking all day. :cool1:

My daughter is a total Croc fan too. Especially since she got pregnant. Me, I'm a total die-hard Merrell fan. Fantastic foot support around the heel, under the arch and at the bottom of your toes as well as thick and bouncy soles. It's like my feet are cushioned. Take them right out of the box and hit the parks with no need for breaking them in.:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

My family is going to Disney next month. I have never been (my dh has years ago) and neither have my children. I am overweight (size 24) and am wondering about larger people riding the rides. I would like to be able to ride some rides with my daughter. I am concerned about the seat sizes as well as any bars that might come across you (lock into place) to secure you in the seat.

Any information will be helpful. Thank you so much!

I am the same size and had no problem on any ride. I read the link from Allears (with pictures and descriptions) and that put my mind at ease a LOT (along with the reviews from everyone on these and other boards).

Have a great time on any ride that you like!!

Missie :thumbsup2

I too am about a 24 and I had a horrible experience at Six Flags where I got on this ride with my son and friends and you all sit in a row and this bar closes. Well the bar wouldnt close because of me and all of the people on the ride had to wait while they tried to close it, plus all of the people standing in line waiting there turn. I ended up having to GET OFF. It ruined my whole day!:sad1: ANyway, I worried when I went to Disney in 2003 and to my delight, I was able to ride EVERYTHING with no problems. GO and enjoy yourself!!
Marie

I am with you there.... had a similar problem at Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN.... I was actually able to squeeze into the ride but it was so painful and embarrassing that the rest of the day just stank! When we started planning our trip to WDW I worried about the same thing, but I found the article on WDW at Large on Allears.net and felt much better about it.

I too am Pooh-Sized... love that term... I would love to lose 20-30 lbs before my trip, but that isn't going to happen. I have had foot problems for the past 11 years or so and they have gotten so bad that January I finally opted to have surgery on my left foot (my right foot will be done next January). Working as a cashier, I am on my feet quite a bit everyday and know what my limits are. Originally I felt that I could handle the long walks at WDW, but as my left foot still aches most of the time and my right foot is getting worse due to favoring the left... I have decided to rent a ECV for the trip... I am just a little embarrased about it because I can walk it is just quite painful at times.... will have to mentally prepare myself because many people will think that I am just lazy and my size doesn't help, but its only my family that matters anyway and so I will just keep telling myself that.

In conjunction with the poster that recommended the link on allears, I thought I read on there or in a guide book that they actually have "test cars" for some of the rides that are somewhere out of sight of the regular line where you can make sure that you will be comfortable on the actual ride. I can't confirm this, as I haven't been to WDW in a number of years, but maybe someone else can. Just thought I'd mention it.

My family is going to Disney next month. I have never been (my dh has years ago) and neither have my children. I am overweight (size 24) and am wondering about larger people riding the rides. I would like to be able to ride some rides with my daughter. I am concerned about the seat sizes as well as any bars that might come across you (lock into place) to secure you in the seat.

Any information will be helpful. Thank you so much!

I used to be a size 22, and had no problems (am a 12 or so now, not sure exactly!)

To anyone worried about being pooh sized with a little one beside you on a lap bar ride (e.g. big thunder mountain) please don't worry - the safety on those rides is soooooo high - it feels unsafe (for excitement), but all the forces are designed to KEEP you in the seat - that's why they are allowed to only have a lap bar...

I'm a size 18 and felt unsafe on BTM with my "skinny" little girl (the lap bar went nowhere near her lap - more at chest height..)- but the CM was really reassuring and told me that the ride was designed sooooo safe that theoretically you could ride round without the lap bar at all and still be safe, so please don't worry...
Tessa

My daughter is a total Croc fan too. Especially since she got pregnant. Me, I'm a total die-hard Merrell fan. Fantastic foot support around the heel, under the arch and at the bottom of your toes as well as thick and bouncy soles. It's like my feet are cushioned. Take them right out of the box and hit the parks with no need for breaking them in.:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Please tell me about these Merrell shoes. What do they look like?

I have Crocs, which I love, but I have some kind of foot pain going on with my right foot and I think I'm going to need a lot of cushioning on the ball of the foot.

Anyone out there who is worried about not fitting on the rides at WDW the following is a report of what I experienced on my trip about 2 weeks ago. First of all I am extra pooh sized (lol) and usually wear a womens size 26/28 however sometimes buy a 30/32 depending on how the item is made.

Magic Kingdom- I rode EVERY ride at the park except for Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, and the carrosel. The only reason I didn't ride those was because we just had no interest in them. The only "problem" I had was on space mtn and I really wouldn't even call it a problem. The ride was easy for me to get into (regardless of which seat because I rode it several times and tried all 3) however it is difficult to climb out of without looking a little silly. If you have trouble getting up when you sit on the floor you may have trouble getting out of the ride because you sit so low to the ground.

MGM- I rode EVERY ride at this park with no problem at all

Animal Kingdom- I rode EVERY ride at this park except Kali River Rapids and that was because I've heard too many bad reports about the seat belts on this ride.

EPCOT- I rode EVERY ride at this park except Mission Space and thats because I was afraid of getting sick.

SOOOO if you are my size or smaller have no fear because you will be fine. This was my 4th trip and the first time I had ever ridden Space Mtn., Test Track, Rockn Rollercoaster. or Expedition Everest because I was always terrified I wouldn't fit. This trip I just said "I don't care anymore I'm going to at least try". Now I regret all those past trips I spent worrying about not fitting and I would have been just fine all along.

A tip that I did follow that may or may not have helped was to always pull the seat belt all the way out before sitting down and then clicking it. On test track I did ride in the front middle seat because it only had a lap belt and not a shoulder belt. I don't know if it mattered or not but I had read somewhere to try that so I did and it was fine.

As far as the rides with the lap bar such as: Expedition Everest, Space MTN, Big Thunder, ect. it seemed to me that the bar just stops whenever it reaches your waist. I don't think anyone could not ride those rides unless their butt just didn't fit in the seat. Believe me I have a big butt and mine fit just fine. Also the shoulder harness on Rockn Rollercoaster is nothing to worry about either. It just stops when it meets your chest, nothing like you see at these other amusement parks. Their is no belt that you have to click in place like at Universal just the shoulder harness.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to pm me and I'll try to help. I would hate for anyone to waste their trip like I used to do just worrying about something like this. Go and have a great time. You will be fine!:cool1:

Oh and I also suggest the crocs. I wore my croc athens flip flops every day and they were GREAT!

Steph - thank you for the encouragement about Expedition Everest. Like you I'm a 26/28 or 30/32 depending on cut. And I was reallllll nervous about EE. I'm nervous about Mission Space too, but not as much because that's something I'll do because the boys want to. Everest is something I want to do. (I'm sure everybody has their versions of those two things).

Let me swap your peace of mind with one of my own - I love :love: Kali and NEVER have had a problem w/ the seatbelt...unless they have made it smaller in the 4 years since we were last there. I just get a seat of my own, so the belt doesn't have to fit another person. Try it on your next trip.

Anyone out there who is worried about not fitting on the rides at WDW the following is a report of what I experienced on my trip about 2 weeks ago.
Magic Kingdom- I rode EVERY ride at the park except for Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, and the carrosel. The only reason I didn't ride those was because we just had no interest in them.

I'm also a 26 and rode Dumbo for the 1st time a month ago.

I think someone a good bit bigger than myself could ride Dumbo with no problem. I was surprised.

I could have easily had a child ride with me as well. The ride operator even suggested that DH and I could ride together, but that went against my better judgement.

We were with my sister, bil, and nephews, it was late at night, and I figured I'd never have a 10 minute wait for Dumbo again, with such a precious excuse to ride it! I was surprised that I liked it, but wouldn't wait 1/2 hour for it. It was really magical with the castle, and the cool night breeze made it feel really nice.

Steph - good on you for posting all that! :thumbsup2
It really is refreshing to see someone who has a go at everything and doesn't fret about size all the time. Your post really is inspiring - Thanks.
Tessa

I'm also a size 30/32 in bottoms (22/24 in tops). I had no problem with EE, even with my dad next to me (he's not a small guy either). There's a test car next to the gift shop and I did try it twice before going on it myself. I was worried--even rode it once by myself before my dad arrived (didn't want to have trouble in front of him). But it worked out fine.

I can't do TT myself--the test car was a no go for me. For anyone who carries their weight in their hips, I really recommend trying the test car first. You have to ask a CM to get to that one, but they are very discrete about it.

I haven't tried Star Tours, Dinosaur, TOT or RnR, but I've done just about everything else with no problems.

Love Crocs, especially the relief style, and the Monistat anti-chaffing cream. They're blessings with all the walking in the Florida heat. The other super important thing is to drink a ton of water.

I'm so glad that Disney has designed their rides to accomodate such a wide range of sizes. I'm a 16 and have never had a problem at Disney, however I'm very uncomfortable on many rides at Cedar Point (in Ohio). Unless I lose a few, I'm not even going to try some of the coasters there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter