*Doing the Donald in 2010* Jan. Half Marathon Support Thread!

Well it's official. I just got back from the doctor. I have pneumonia...in both lungs. It's not good. The bronchitis started it and now here I am. I don't think I'd be allowed to get on a plane with how bad I sound. Other than being exhausted, I feel okay-ish, but I sound wretched...so the Donald is out for me for this year. I'm sad. But I sort of feel like I'd have been doomed anyhow. I haven't been allowed to run for two weeks now. I want to be able to run my race and finish strong. I want to feel like I deserve to be out there with everyone. Having that wretched swine flu in October really took my immunity way down. Boo germs.

I really hope all the WISHers have a fantastic race! Have so much fun and enjoy that medal. You all have worked so hard and you all deserve the honor. Next year I hope to be there with y'all. I wanted that medal so much. Ugh. I hate being out of control of myself!!!!! Big fat Donald Duck tantrum in my head I'm telling y'all what!

Have a wonderful trip and a safe and magical race everyone.

:grouphug::sick::mad::sad::sad::sad::upsidedow

Miss Cammie,

So sorry to hear that you won't be joining us this year. I look forward you joining us next year.

I just checked and the forecast is even colder now. Ugh! Sunrise isn't until 7:20 so we'll be out there for almost 2 hours before the sun comes up! I hope I can get some good pictures still.

Here are some of my photos from '08

halfmarathonstart.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

(of course this year we'll all be so bundled up!) This is after you go thru the tent from Runner/spectator area to "Spectator only" area - the lines for the portapotties are HUGE at the R/S area in the Spec only area - not as long!!

IMG_3953.jpg

The line to get the bib packet!! (a Friday around 2 I believe)

IMG_4008.jpg

not sure who this is, but it was my first time I noticed the time markers -

Here's pic of the expo vendors (and where you pick up your shirt!)
expo4.jpg

What's everyone wearing now with the cold temps forecasted?

As of lunch time today, I now own a pair of running tights! So I think my 'final layer' will be tights, running skirt and a long sleeve UA shirt.

My clothing plans may have changed already... Thanks to a little birdie I'm thinking of wearing full/long tights and my running skirt over them. Not sure I'd even bother with toss away pants then.

I'm still planning on throw-away pants that I will toss just before the start.

Well it's official. I just got back from the doctor. I have pneumonia...in both lungs.

Wow that sucks. I hope you feel better soon.

One more run to go! Easy three miles this morning. Good pace. All systems go.

I've got clothing almost worked out. Hand warmers - check, duct tape - check, trash bag, hat, gaiter, sheddables, check.

With that out of the way I have room for weather at home, getting to the airport anxiety. Oh, joy!

Ronda

Liz...good luck! Cant wait to read everyone's reports when you all return!!

Wishing everyone good temps and good luck:)

Liz...good luck! Cant wait to read everyone's reports when you all return!!

Wishing everyone good temps and good luck:)

Thanks DB - can you also add NO SNOW on departure day?!!

Seriously - Thursday its looking snarky - we're leaving from Ohare 9ish!

This will be the 1st time Im running in Disney "officially" but have run while vacationing here in several places such as Wilderness Campground(my fav), Hilton Vacation Club Resort, etc.. I ran the Chicago Half Marathon back in Sept '09 at 2hours 7min so i was hoping to better my time this race but with all the character distractions i think just completing the race will be good enough!! My normal race time is between 9 and 10min miles so if there is anyone out there with a similar time I wouldnt mind pairing up for the 2hour haul!!

This will be the 1st time Im running in Disney "officially" but have run while vacationing here in several places such as Wilderness Campground(my fav), Hilton Vacation Club Resort, etc.. I ran the Chicago Half Marathon back in Sept '09 at 2hours 7min so i was hoping to better my time this race but with all the character distractions i think just completing the race will be good enough!! My normal race time is between 9 and 10min miles so if there is anyone out there with a similar time I wouldnt mind pairing up for the 2hour haul!!

I'm planning on running no faster than 10-minute miles (might even tuck in behind the 2:15 Clif Pace team to be safe) in order to save some energy for Sunday. If that's okay with you, or anyone else here for that matter, I'd love the company on the run.

This is it group. I am leaving in 40 minutes for Burlington, Vt and tomorrow morning at 9:00am I will be in the air on my way to Orlando, Fl. I am so excited and nervous at the same time.
And the most funny thing is, with the weather, it will be like running at home without the snow :lmao:.
So see you there and safe travelling to all.

Diane

I'm planning on running no faster than 10-minute miles (might even tuck in behind the 2:15 Clif Pace team to be safe) in order to save some energy for Sunday. If that's okay with you, or anyone else here for that matter, I'd love the company on the run.

DH is running the Goofy - and he is helping Chris navigate (he's a vision impaired runner) they are going to try and pace somewhere between 9 something and 10 something -

I'm sure you'll notice them!! Who knows what we'll be wearing - but I think I'm going to make the fleece lime green scarves and put WISH on one side and our names on the other :confused3

We'll be at the Pop Meet at 4:30 and at the start around 3AM (to make sure Chris and Tim connect!) we bought lots of hand, feet warmers -

BTW Fleece solid color (LIME green too!) is on sale at JoAnn Fabric - is anybody else buying some to make scarves to help us find each other???

Sandy321 said:
BTW Fleece solid color (LIME green too!) is on sale at JoAnn Fabric - is anybody else buying some to make scarves to help us find each other???

I got some from Hancock and made a gaiter and hooded scarf. Can't miss me!

Ronda

Hey everyone :wave2:
How is everyone feeling with the big day being just 4 days away? I never updated after the whole back/chiro issue. My back is almost 100% (it flares up occasionally, but it's not unbearable) and I only had to stuffer through 2 visits with my rude chiro.

I flew to south Florida on New Year's Eve to be with my family and it is freaking cold here! I didn't expect this at all. I'm getting nervous about how cold it will be on Saturday. As a southern girl, I am so not used to this at all. My eyes get so watery that it looks like I'm crying and my nose runs like a faucet. Looks like I'll be carrying tissues with me. :thumbsup2

I hope to go to the Pop meet, but it will of course depend on if the family is willing to go with me. We have a very early day on Friday (we're driving & leaving around 6:30am), so we might all be passed out come 4pm.

Good luck to anyone on their last runs! I hope anyone else traveling in the next couple of days has a good & safe trip!

I did what I thought would be my last cold-weather run today. :lmao: I wore my new tights! It was 34 degrees and after about 10 minutes, I was fine in my tights, long sleeve UA shirt, gloves and headband, so I guess that's my "final outfit." I hate hot and have a much better tolerance for cold than most folks, so I suspect I'll be wearing less than most people.

With 3 of us running a combined 5 races, I packed an entire suitcase full of throw away clothes and blankets. We leave our house at 0445 tomorrow for a 0750 flight - we'll be at WDW by lunch time. YAY!

Good morning all,

I think I have my clothes set:
UA short sleeve compression top
UA full tights
long sleeve running top
running skirt
toss away pants
toss away sweatshirt
two pairs Target stretchy gloves (I am doubling them up)
ear band

And for waiting at the start:
Coleman Emergency Blanket
4 hand warmers
towel to sit/stretch on
large trash bag
poncho if rain

I'd like another layer for waiting at the start, but I don't think I can fit anything else in my carry on.

The Coleman Blanket I happened to find at Target yesterday. You can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-825-462T-Emergency-Blanket/dp/B000PL361Y
I've never used such a thing, but it sounds good, it was only $2.50 and it is folded up so small. It was in the camping/outdoors area if anyone wants to get one. It was next to a bunch of ponchos in baskets. At my Target the one I bought was the last one left.

I did 3 miles on Monday and will do 3 miles today...my final training run. Can't believe we are to this point!

CampbellScot~ I am so sorry you had to cancel. :( You have been through the ringer over the past few months!! I hope you feel better soon and can get back out there. Maybe I will see you on another Donald Doers thread this year... :wizard:

Sandy~ Thanks for posting those pictures again! I can't imagine actually BEING there myself! Sooo excited...
I won't be getting to a JoAnns. That is a great idea though. I think I'd even just buy a big piece of the lime green fleece and wrap it all around me...Like a giant glow stick! :laughing:

DisneyBride~ Hey, good to see you! Thank you for the good wishes!! :goodvibes I will post a report when I get back.

JCrandall~ Welcome to the thread, good luck with your race! I'm not as fast as you!

Ronda~ Sounds like you'll be nice and cozy!

Arelys~ That's great your back is better! You sound just like me with the very watery eyes and nose like a faucet. That will be me! Hope you can make it to the meets!

sk8~ I'm glad you were ok in that outfit, makes me feel better.

Safe travels to all those on their way today and tomorrow! Jenny and I fly down on Friday morning and meet at the airport to take Magical Express together. We'll be at the Expo Friday afternoon with the crowds. And then we'll head right to POP for the meets. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Good luck everyone!!! :thumbsup2

I wish I was going, but maybe next year.

I can't wait to see pictures and read trip reports.:banana:

Just wanted to post wishing everyone good luck, happy travels and a great race(s). Wish I was joining you. The hamstring is healing nicely. Santa brought DD a treadmill for Christmas and I was on it this morning doing my first brisk walk since the injury. DD did 45 minutes on it yesterday.

Again, good luck and kick buttocks. See you at a Disney race in the near future.

I posted this on another thread but felt you all should know this too. My local weather guy-channel 9 in Orlando-just said that there is a chance of MIXED precipitation on Saturday. As some of you may know, the coldest part of the day in Florida is right around sunrise, so that mix could occur during the wait before or even at the start of the race. The cold snap is going to get even colder this weekend, with highs not even getting into the 50's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter