Don't hate the landlord

china mom

DIS Veteran
I know that there will be responses posted here that will likely hurt my feelings. I am sure that someone will accuse all landlords of being greedy and evil but I am willing to take the risk for the chance to cry on my friends' shoulders (that's you)

There are good and bad in every profession and I know there are some bad landlords but there are some of us who just want to share a good product and hopefully make some money. But like any business, you can't make money without taking some risks, and that is something landlords do.

Now, the crying part. I have a house that should bring in between $7,000 to $10,000 a year if there are no surprise repairs and no vacancies. I get this number by subtracting my fixed monthly expenses (mortgage, taxes, insurance and management fees) I have to pay these even when the house is unoccupied. There are other miscellaneous expenses that I am not factoring in - to keep the math simple.

So, my latest tenant left me high and dry, owing me two months rent ($2,500 x 2) and, so far, about $10k in repairs. He paid rent for 18 months and the turnover is taking about two months so multiply his rent by 18 but my expenses by 20 months then subtract the damage and I have lost money. His $2500 security deposit is not making up that loss.

I am frustrated and borrowing money from our household expenses to make the repairs. I really, really want to put a good product back on the market but, frankly, I cannot do all of the upgrades that I would like to do.

And, then, yesterday, we discovered that the pool liner has been damaged and will likely need to be replaced. Add another $5K for that.

I posted the house on FB marketplace and got a bunch of comments about the rent being too high and that means I am greedy and we landlords should provide affordable housing. Well, I would provide more affordable housing if the ^&% tenants would stop tearing up the place and costing me money.

After this happened to me, I sold the house and vowed to never be a landlord again.

This is the way. If you are not in the business of being a landlord, it is never worth being a landlord. Those who make money mitigate risk (of damage, nonpaying tenants, non-rented sites) by having multiple sites they oversee.

To have 1-2 properties is to engage in a different form of gambling - one which is based on how well you know people. Will they wreck your place? Will they pay their rent? What will they do if life gets hard for them?

Wow, I can't imagine making money on my rental 😂 We are lucky to have had great tenants in both of our rentals, but we sold one and it has been such a gift to not have to worry about it. I'm waiting for the market to turn around before re-listing our second one, but maybe we will get lucky and our clean and kind tenant will renew giving us some more time. Being a landlord is not for the weak, and the mom and pop shops get bad raps because of larger companies that take advantage of everyday people to maximize profits. I started noticing this trend when I was in grad school in Madison, WI, when all of a sudden (i.e. a year) market rates went up hundreds of dollars as "new investors" came into the market, and this was 10+ years ago.

I wouldn't use Facebook marketplace to give something away for free. That's just asking for abusive people to come into your life.
I see you mentioned management fees. Shouldn't they be doing the renting for you? Otherwise what are you paying them to do.
I feel you. No way I'd rent a small number of properties. One bad renter and you could suffer financially catastrophic harm. Or worse- squatters seeing your Facebook post could move in and then good luck getting them out.

I know that there will be responses posted here that will likely hurt my feelings. I am sure that someone will accuse all landlords of being greedy and evil but I am willing to take the risk for the chance to cry on my friends' shoulders (that's you)

There are good and bad in every profession and I know there are some bad landlords but there are some of us who just want to share a good product and hopefully make some money. But like any business, you can't make money without taking some risks, and that is something landlords do.

Now, the crying part. I have a house that should bring in between $7,000 to $10,000 a year if there are no surprise repairs and no vacancies. I get this number by subtracting my fixed monthly expenses (mortgage, taxes, insurance and management fees) I have to pay these even when the house is unoccupied. There are other miscellaneous expenses that I am not factoring in - to keep the math simple.

So, my latest tenant left me high and dry, owing me two months rent ($2,500 x 2) and, so far, about $10k in repairs. He paid rent for 18 months and the turnover is taking about two months so multiply his rent by 18 but my expenses by 20 months then subtract the damage and I have lost money. His $2500 security deposit is not making up that loss.

I am frustrated and borrowing money from our household expenses to make the repairs. I really, really want to put a good product back on the market but, frankly, I cannot do all of the upgrades that I would like to do.

And, then, yesterday, we discovered that the pool liner has been damaged and will likely need to be replaced. Add another $5K for that.

I posted the house on FB marketplace and got a bunch of comments about the rent being too high and that means I am greedy and we landlords should provide affordable housing. Well, I would provide more affordable housing if the ^&% tenants would stop tearing up the place and costing me money.
I am sorry that you are going though such a hard time with your rental.
Being a landlord isn’t all it’s cracked up to be sometimes.
You are the only one that knows the rental market where your property is, don’t let random people on Facebook bother you with their opinions. If they feel that $2500 a month is too expensive then your property is not right for them. It is not your job to offer “affordable” rents.
I hope you get a better tenant next time around. Good luck!

You are in a very very tough business. One thing that I have noticed over many years is, NOT ALL, BUT A HIGH % of tenants are not the types I want to be doing business with. You see the same cycle over and over with them.

If you want to stay in that business, I would get very very inexpensive slum houses or extremely high end houses.

Landlords take the risk with the hope of making easy profits. Things break even when you are careful, it's how things work. This time the risk didn't pay off for you. :confused3 Also, calling tenants names isn't helping me have any sympathy for you.
The wear and tear doesn't bother me. I expect and budget for that. And I am not calling all of my tenants names, only calling out the bad ones. I have two other long term tenants right now who are absolutely wonderful and have had good tenants in the past.

But, even so, my margins are slim and when I get a disrespectful tenant, it upsets me. For example, I had just had all of my window screens re-screened before he moved in 18 months ago. I understand that things happen and I would have gotten over a ripped screen but I have three torn screen and another three missing ones. Where the heck did they go? and in 18 months? I have lived in my current house for ten years without ripping a screen.

I had JUST replaced the sliding door the week before he moved in and had to replace it again when he moved out. And don't get me started on the carpet and the holes in the walls (carpet was 3 years old)20230304_095817.jpg

Last edited:
This is the way. If you are not in the business of being a landlord, it is never worth being a landlord. Those who make money mitigate risk (of damage, nonpaying tenants, non-rented sites) by having multiple sites they oversee.

To have 1-2 properties is to engage in a different form of gambling - one which is based on how well you know people. Will they wreck your place? Will they pay their rent? What will they do if life gets hard for them?
I have four doors (3 long term and 1 short term). I have not had a profitable year yet but am hoping. But, I have gained equity greater than my losses so I will stick with it.

I wouldn't use Facebook marketplace to give something away for free. That's just asking for abusive people to come into your life.
I see you mentioned management fees. Shouldn't they be doing the renting for you? Otherwise what are you paying them to do.
I feel you. No way I'd rent a small number of properties. One bad renter and you could suffer financially catastrophic harm. Or worse- squatters seeing your Facebook post could move in and then good luck getting them out.
I misspoke. It wasn't FB marketplace, it was a FB community page - but almost the same. Yes, my property manager markets the property and finds tenants and is pretty quick about it but someone had posted that they were looking the a house in the same town and needed the same number of bedrooms so I said that I had a house coming available soon.
There is little available to rent in my county and everything of comparable size is as much, if not more than my house. People are just mad that everything is so expensive.

After this happened to me, I sold the house and vowed to never be a landlord again.
Same here. We chocked it up to an expensive life experience, one we will never repeat.
The small amount of money we made did not justify the level of stress we encountered with one of the tenants.
He also caused a lot of stress for the other tenants.

You are in a very very tough business. One thing that I have noticed over many years is, NOT ALL, BUT A HIGH % of tenants are not the types I want to be doing business with. You see the same cycle over and over with them.

If you want to stay in that business, I would get very very inexpensive slum houses or extremely high end houses.
I have decided to go the opposite direction of slumlord. While my houses are not high, high end, I take pride in putting out a good product. My last vacancy, I purchased the house with a tenant in place and a lot of deferred maintenance. I put $33k in repairs and upgrades and increased the rent by $500. If no problems, I should recoup the upgrades in about 5.5 years - just in time to do more upgrades :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter