Don't see DVC in our future :(

NurseKim

<font color=darkcoral>Hokey Pokey expert<br><font
I am really bummed. I have spent a number of days crunching numbers and DH and I getting upset with each other over buying into DVC.

The bottom line is that I don't think we're going to do it. :sad2:

DH is not a big of fan of WDW as I am. I could go there twice a year, easily, and not be bored. Him,well, he's hoping that we can go RV'ing somewhere down the road ;) He'd like to buy a pop-up camper and take the boys fishing.

We don't have the $$ to buy upfront from Disney. I would only be able to pay cash for a 50 pt. resale right now.

In the past, we have mostly stayed at the Value resorts. I was looking forward to staying in a nicer place. I was also looking forward to exchaning points for other places (since we want to travel to all 50 states), but from what I've read, it's not worth the points to exchange.

I am so tired of staying at the cheapest place possible. That is pretty much what we do when we vacation, since we never go on a "hang around your hotel vacation." But when we go to WDW, it makes sense for us. We go to the parks all day, and only sleep in our rooms.

But I know that there is going to be a day, when the kids are older, we're going to want our own bedroom or just hang out at the resort. I want my kids to have cool pools to swim in, not just a big open pool with no slide.
I've always wanted to stay at AKV, but wouldn't even consider it now that we won't be buying into DVC.

In reference to "My Best Friend's Wedding".... I'm jello and I want to be creme brulee :rotfl:

I'm tired and under the influence of Benadryl, so alot of this probably doesn't make sense. If anyone would like to make me feel better or just have some words of wisdom, please do. :flower3:

On your next family trip to WDW, either save up $ to pay cash for a DVC stay or trying renting some points from a member. I think it is entirely possible after that, Hubby may decide he wants EVERY WDW vacation to be that way from now on...:cool1:

Coming from one who knows, it is VERY VERY hard to go back to the value motel type room after staying in resort villas, kinda like using dial up once you are used to high speed internet.

Don't feel bad. I'm in the same boat. My DS isn't nearly as interested in Disney as I am - would be happy to only go every 5 years or longer.

That and cost has forced us out of the game to. Maybe things will change in 7-10 years.

Oh well...

On your next family trip to WDW, either save up $ to pay cash for a DVC stay or trying renting some points from a member. I think it is entirely possible after that, Hubby may decide he wants EVERY WDW vacation to be that way from now on...:cool1:

I will definitely keep that in mind :)

Coming from one who knows, it is VERY VERY hard to go back to the value motel type room after staying in resort villas, kinda like using dial up once you are used to high speed internet.

I wonder if I could reel him in with that analogy :rotfl: I could *never* go back to dial up!

I have always felt lucky to have a husband who felt the same way as Disney as I do... we both love it. That aside, we have been in many similar situations.

Jeff and I first looked into buying into DVC 7 years ago, when we could have still bought into VWL, didn't have the money. We took the tour about 4 years ago when they were just starting to sell Saratoga Springs... we ALMOST did it, but again felt we didn't have the finances. I cannot begin to tell you how it broke my heart each time not to be able to buy in, as every year we go at least once. It probably would have saved us some money, but we were and against going in debt and we didn't have the $15,000 cash to buy in.

Times have changed since then, we bought a house (three years ago), still don't have $15,000 of loose cash, (*grin*) but I discovered these boards, and discovered the fact that I can buy resell, and am looking at starting out smaller then you with 25, and then buying 25 a year. Cash, and I can afford it.

The point of this, is that you should not be disappointed when you make your first decision NOT to do it, the old saying being parted makes the heart grow fonder, is absolutly true, and if it is something you TRULY want to do, DVC will still be there when you get to that point were it makes more sense to do it then not, and when your heart finally says, yes now is the time.

BTW, if you are looking at buying 50 points, even if you go once every three years it still makes some sense... bank 50 from 1st year, current year, and borrowed from third year gives you 150 points, were you can get a 2 bedroom for what about a week? (don't know the points for a 2-bedroom off the top of my head) every three years.

Jennifer

Yup, hang in there! I also wanted and dreamed about DVC from the moment they first started selling OKW. There was no way we could afford it back then. I wasn't working, staying home to raise the kids, etc.

When we finally were financially set enough to make the plunge, DH lost his job. Such heartache. Our Disney guide was great. So was Disney for that matter. They held the special pricing for us until DH got back to work and now we are incredibly happy owners. I could seriously live in WDW. Seriously. ;)

DH & I will be selling ice cream in Tomorrowland in 20 years. Look us up. :goodvibes :mickeybar

Thanks, Jennifer, you've given me hope :)

BTW, the MF is one of the things that DH has a big problem with. I've tried to compare it to the 11ish% resort tax that we pay each time we go.

I have always felt lucky to have a husband who felt the same way as Disney as I do... we both love it. That aside, we have been in many similar situations.

Jeff and I first looked into buying into DVC 7 years ago, when we could have still bought into VWL, didn't have the money. We took the tour about 4 years ago when they were just starting to sell Saratoga Springs... we ALMOST did it, but again felt we didn't have the finances. I cannot begin to tell you how it broke my heart each time not to be able to buy in, as every year we go at least once. It probably would have saved us some money, but we were and against going in debt and we didn't have the $15,000 cash to buy in.

Times have changed since then, we bought a house (three years ago), still don't have $15,000 of loose cash, (*grin*) but I discovered these boards, and discovered the fact that I can buy resell, and am looking at starting out smaller then you with 25, and then buying 25 a year. Cash, and I can afford it.

The point of this, is that you should not be disappointed when you make your first decision NOT to do it, the old saying being parted makes the heart grow fonder, is absolutly true, and if it is something you TRULY want to do, DVC will still be there when you get to that point were it makes more sense to do it then not, and when your heart finally says, yes now is the time.

BTW, if you are looking at buying 50 points, even if you go once every three years it still makes some sense... bank 50 from 1st year, current year, and borrowed from third year gives you 150 points, were you can get a 2 bedroom for what about a week? (don't know the points for a 2-bedroom off the top of my head) every three years.

Jennifer

We first looked into DVC when friends bought into OKW something like 12 years ago, when our ds 13 was just a baby. We finally realized that dream a little over a year ago. Just keep the thought, and if even 25 pts is what you can start with, then comb the resale boards until you find 25 pts. Then bank & borrow, and use that on the next vacation, and dh quite possibly will get onboard!

I agree with Mtnman44 about renting points for a DVC stay...preferably at least in a 1BR size since the studio is too much like a regular resort room to wow your DH.

And maybe stay at VWL since he is obviously the outdoor type.

Good luck to you Kim...I feel for those whose spouses don't share the enthusiasm for WDW vacations.

Book a trip to Fort Wilderness, either rent an RV and drive, or rent the cabins, its the best of both words!! He will feel like he's on a true camping trip, but you will still be at WDW!!! We have DVC (bought VWL), and have stayed at the campground once in the cabins, its fun, its like your in a different world!! And we are campers also, head to Rhode Island 2-3 times a summer, its worth a try to get him into it, walk over to VWL and then check it out, and see what he says!!

on our most recent trip last Jan, we spent a portion of it at the Wilderness Lodge. It was our vist time "on property". I knew then and there that if at all possible, all of our future wdw trips would be on property. It multiplied the fun and no stress factor by about 10. DVC was a way to make that happen. Initial outlay is high but it pays off over time.

Nursekim, I feel your disappointment. For quite some time I couldn't get DH to go to my favorite place in the world and it was my own fault :eek: I used to drag him year after year and do Disney commando style...staying off property and then staying at the park from the time they open, with no ADRs of course, until the time they kick us out . Poor DH would be just beyond exhausted by the time his head hit the pillow, just to wake up and do it all over again the next day :scared1: He was completely turned off by vacationing at WDW. Well, after several years of not going :sad1: I finally convinced him to go with friends that we now vacation with each year. Our friends showed both of us a whole new way to enjoy WDW. We stayed on property and took time to go relax back at the hotel (catch a nap) and get our second wind before getting to our ADR dinner. Suddenly, DH LOVES WDW :cheer2: and proclaims that he could easily come here every year :lmao: Fast forward a few years later and we learn about DVC through our friends and rent points to stay at SSR. DH loved that experience but was not buying into the whole DVC thing. Well, after some number crunching and much relentless scheming on my part :rolleyes1 the man who "would not go to Disney World ever again" went ahead and bought 180 points at SSR and is already talking about an add on :rotfl2: Anyhow, my point is that sometimes the reluctance is a matter of perspective :3dglasses I think that the suggestion already posted about renting points to try it out in a 1 bdrm is a great idea. Best of luck.

Kim,

I feel your pain. I always have looked for and spent absolutely the least amount I could on hotel rooms when I traveled. But no more!! DVC has changed all that for me. I like getting deluxe accommodations at a value price! Good luck and I would jump on the 50 points. You could always add on later.:)

NurseKim -

It took us 7 years from "tour" to "purchase decision." We crunched numbers at the first introduction and twice again across the years before everything finally lined up. Waiting was the right answer for us -- and I don't regret it one bit.

Don't be discouraged. Enjoy all forms of vacation and travel options and keep vacation clubs/timeshare as an option to revisit later down the road.

One thing you can do is put your foot down, and keep it there!!;) My DH used to hand out spreadsheets before vacations, with a schedule to the minute that he seriously expected to adhere to!! Finally, I refused to go to WDW anymore, unless the spreadsheet went into the waste basket. He planned a vacation, and I didn't even pack, because I was NOT going! I hated WDW. Once the spreadsheet was gone, and I could spend all my time at the hotel if I wanted to, I enjoyed my vacations alot more. But there is no way I would do any vacation in a pop-up camper! It's fine for fun times with the kids, maybe, but I refuse! If you want to be creme brulee, you may have to insist on being treated that way, otherwise your DH will just see you as jello.:eek:

DH is not a big of fan of WDW as I am. I could go there twice a year, easily, and not be bored. Him,well, he's hoping that we can go RV'ing somewhere down the road ;) He'd like to buy a pop-up camper and take the boys fishing.
:

Don't be blue NurseKim,
Think how utterly boring life would be if every one like exactly the same thing (though secretly I think every one should like WDW). While my DH likes WDW and always has a good time, he too would probably go a lot less than me and the kids. When we decided to purchase it was a huge (and a little scary)commitment for us especially since we financed the purchase but in the end it was a great decision for us. Don't give up, life changes really fast. What you can't see happening right now could quickly turn around in the near future.
In the mean time keep enjoying great Disney vacations !! :flower3:

Hi NurseKim,

We first considered DVC over ten years ago. And bought in 2005. We used to go the BW and sit and dream. Dreaming and wishing are wonderful memories too. Trust me. I smile when I think about those days.

We waited until we had the money upfront. This was the best decision for us (as in it's none of my business other people's decisions and what is best for them). I only point that out about waiting because a lot of people say "I wish I would have bought sooner". We don't. We could have. But we don't. Why?

Because delayed gratification is so sweet!!! It was the best time for us to buy!!! Dreaming is fun! And we were so ecstatic when it came true and still are.

And with small contracts available. Well makes it possible for more of us.

All the best no matter what you decide,

Lisa

We don't have the $$ to buy upfront from Disney. I would only be able to pay cash for a 50 pt. resale right now.

if he is planning on buying that pop-up - you should be able to go ahead and buy 50 pts.

50 pts at OKW is a studio Sun - thurs - in 5 nights
Jan 1-31
sept 1-30
Oct 1- 31
Nov 1-25, 29-30
dec 1-23
Feb 1-15
May 1-31
June 1 - 10
Aug 16-31

the rest of summer and spring break is 11 points a night (same as BWV standard view) except Palm & easter week those are premier (peak)

either get OKW or BWV - so you can use your 50 points to their best advantage.

then in 5 years or so - you might be able to buy another 50 points and so on.

Book a trip to Fort Wilderness, either rent an RV and drive, or rent the cabins, its the best of both words!! He will feel like he's on a true camping trip, but you will still be at WDW!!! We have DVC (bought VWL), and have stayed at the campground once in the cabins, its fun, its like your in a different world!! And we are campers also, head to Rhode Island 2-3 times a summer, its worth a try to get him into it, walk over to VWL and then check it out, and see what he says!!

You can use points for the cabins? I thought it was only available for the sites?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter