• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Don't see DVC in our future :(

nursekim, I'm in the same boat you are!

My DH wants to go elk hunting out west and I want to buy DVC!

I've crunched all the numbers (repeatedly) and we'd only be able to afford a vacation every 4-5 years anyways so we'd be forced to rent out at least a couple years worth of points. My DH says that it is better if we just stick to renting points when we vacation and that way we are not tied in to a lengthy contract. I guess I agree with him, but sometimes renting makes me feel "second-best"...like I am not good enough to own a contract myself.

We have very little money to set aside for vacations. I stow a little bit out of each paycheck into a savings account. We basically have about $4000 every 3 years to spend on vacations. With our daughters getting older, our park tickets and airfare will amount to half of that within the next three years! As a result, our trips will have to be spread further apart so DVC just won't work out. As much as I want to own, I can only hope that there will continue to be owners who are willing to rent out their points to those of us who love the DVC but simply cannot afford a vacation every year...or two...or three...

I first saw DVC on my honeymoon - with my first husband. OKW wasn't even built yet, but they'd started advertising. He was interested, I didn't want anything to do with a timeshare. Good thing, because "first husband" should clue you into what sort of mess that would have been.

I could have bought several years later when on my honeymoon with my current (and forever) husband. But we didn't. And its a good thing. We built a home, had thousands in infertility expenses, followed by thousands in adoption expenses. There would have been plenty of times during those years that DVC would have been more of a millstone than a benefit. You don't want to resent the dues bill or struggling to afford to use your own points.

A lot of people regret not buying sooner. I don't. We bought when the time was right for us and we are happy with that.

Aw, it breaks my heart to see all these people who can't do DVC. I'm a "share the joy" type of person.

FWIW, I also looked at DVC back in '01-'02 when we started down the whole timeshare path. The information I got confused the heck out of me. I just remember writing down all these points calculations divided by seasons and then annual dues per fee. It was like a Calculus course!

When the time came for us to finally buy-in it was the right time financially and strategically for me and my travel buddy (my dad). (We had enough between us to pay cash outright and we were getting into clashes over the car when staying offsite.)

But right now is the wrong time for my siblings to do anything other than benefit from our purchase. The kids are just the right age to sack your finances, houses are in mortgage, and they just distantly dream there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Meantime, my dad and I play the good fairy and use our vacation portfolio to give them a chance to explore.

Renting is a very good alternative if you can't own. Or better yet, get some richer family members to start a family vacation portfolio. This works great for grandparents wanting excuses to travel with their grandkids.

NurseKim, Don't get discouraged. It took me a year or 2 to brainwash (I mean get Dh on the same page as me:rolleyes1 ) . Anyway, in 2003, I rented points for a studio @ BCV. DH LOVED it and even agreed to take the DVC tour. We were not in the position to buy and we were also considering buying an RV for beach, etc.

In the end, we decided, on DVC. We crunched numbers several times.

RV
The RV we were looking at was $19,000 (it was full size & slept 5 in beds)
gas would be more pulling
camp sites at the beach $35 nt - ~$350.00 year.
depreciation would probably lose over 1/2 value in 5 years.
upkeep

DVC
180 points $17,100 (I think)
dues roughly $700 a year.
resale - would not depreciate
Also we will have this until 2052

No way we will have an RV then.

After looking at this and realizing that we wanted a 3rd baby, we decided that WDW would be our vacation destination for many years.

Study these boards, try renting points for your next trip (rent from someone reputable), and take the DVC tour - there is NO pressure to buy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter