Dopey Question...

TinkerKat

<font color=coral>The only thing that "I own" that
I know this is probably such a "newbie" question... but can someone
please re-explain to me the difference between

an Annual & a Perennial?
My husband asked me.. and I found myself not 100% sure.
Thanks
Kathy

Thanks!
Now which would you recommend for a 100% sun!
I love Color! Not just green shrubs.
Over the years, I've killed many a impatien due too too much sun.
We just got our patio paved in connecting blocks.. and want to
plant somehting around the perimeter that'll survive 9-5 sun.
Thanks!
Kathy

TinkerKat-
I love perennials for the obvious reason - there they are, year after year, bigger and better than the year before. The frustrating part is finding a perennial that blooms most of the summer. If you want flowers, many perennials will only bloom for a couple weeks (at best) during the summer. Daylillies, for example, frustrate the heck out of me..."oh, how pretty, they're blooming...wait, where'd they go???"

But I have a good one for full sun, lots of color, good border plant, and summer-long lasting flowers. It's Coreopsis. I'm still learning about it, but have had a lot of luck with it since I have a lot of hot sun also. Most, I think (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) are low-growing and ferny looking. It blooms tons of flowers and continues to bloom throughout the season. Some varieties are taller than others. The colors I have are yellow and purple, but there may be more. I will find out more about what's available since I intend to fill a bed with these this year.

And, in true perennial style, they get bigger every year. However, unlike some of my other perennials, I had luck with them the very first year planted. Sometimes you have to wait a year for things to take root and get going.

If I learn more I'll let you know, but I think this one's perfect for you. BTW, it's pronounced (so you can look smart when you ask about it!) KOR-EE-OP-SIS.

Coreposis is a great idea. An annual that reseeds itself and comes back every year and loves hot sun is moss rose (portulaca). It is low growing and loaded with very colorful double flowers. It comes in a variety of colors and you can now get flats or seeds of just one color. I love it.

Thought I'd jump in and answer this:
It will bloom all summer, deadheading will produce more flowers too!
A good choice.
Good Luck

Thanks for the great input.. now one last "Dopey Question"

If you buy annuals that are in fiber pots.. do you transplant them or
just put the whole container into a planter? the container fits perfectly into
the Pot.. so I'm almost scared to disrupt the beauty .. if you know what I
mean!
Thanks again! Kathy

I've been leaving most of my potted plants in the containers they came in from the nursery then put *those* in the pretty planters, and most of them are doing just fine that way. The only exception I've had is the geraniums, which aren't doing that great period (though they're looking better today after more sun). I think (correct me if I'm wrong, experts :D ) that they'll do fine in the current pot and if you want them to get bigger, you repot them. Otherwise they'll stay the size that will fit in the pot. Does that sound right? The only things I've actually *planted* are flats (those six-pack things) of impatiens and salvia, and my seeds :)

Tinderkat...an annual that will look pretty and bloom until late fall or the first heavy frost is cosmos. They are tall and have a daisy like flower (white, purple pink). the more flowers you cut for vases the more you get. it is an annual but reseeds and can become quite prolific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter