• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

double stroller for 13 month old and 4 year old??

HoosierFantasia

Growing older but not up......
Hi everyone! I am baaaaaaack!
Well the next Disney trip is a little more thatn a year away. My wife and I are about a month away from becoming parents again. My obsessive plannng has me lurking on the DIS again.
My question to you all.
Do you think a 13 month child can share a double stroller rented in the parks? I mean is 13 months to young for those type of strollers?
I thought about getting one of those backpack/strollers for the young one and let the older one walk. If that doesnt work then rent a single for the older one when necessary.
What do you think?

Its good to be back by the way.

Bill

I wouldn't rent a stroller for a 13 month old. Those strollers provide NO support, as well as no real restraining system. A 13 month old, doesn't understand, nor can they comprehend not getting up and walking away. I'd be too afraid to be in WDW without having a properly restrained 13 month old. Most double strollers will be too small for a 4 year old, so I'd stay away from that. What I've done is I have a Peg Perego Pliko. It's the best stroller in my opinion, for children with that age break. My 4 year old loves to walk with us, so renting a stroller is out. But of course her feet do get tired at the most unopportune times. The Pliko has a small platform on the back for the older child to stand on. This way, she get wheeled around as well, and gets to take a break. We also don't stay in the parks all day, so our younger child can still take naps. The Pliko folds up like an umbrella stroller and is just so convient for on/off the buses.

We took a double strollar when we had a 13 month old and a 4 year old. The concept of having the 2 kids together and one parent free was nice but not practical. The strollar did not have good mobility through crowded spaces (especially after parades and fireworks!), took a tremendous amount of energy to push (especially uphill at WL at night) and in general was not helpful. Last year we took 2 individual strollars and that worked much better. My older child often didn't need one in the am but did in the afternoon so sometimes we could leave one back at the hotel. The individuals fold up so small they are easy to carry with young children and take up much less space on trams, buses. You can always buy strollar connectors if you want to lock the two together. I would go for the most flexiblity. Also you have less storage space in a double strollar so if you do one- you might want to buy an attachment bag.

just thoughts

Hey Lori,
I was looking at the Baby Trend Sit-and-Stand Stroller last night at Baby Depot. Sounds a lot like the Peg you have. Looks like it could be the best solution for us.
thanks for your input, I will look online for the Peg. I bet it costs a little more than the baby trend.

Bill

Actually the Pliko is only abut $50 more. I looked at the Sit and Stand and I thought it was too bulky when folded up for using on/off the buses as well as for my car. It also is very heavy and I was looking for something more in the umbrella category. Take a look at the Pliko, they're carried at all Babies R Us's.

I wouldn't recommend the WDW rental strollers for a 13 month old.

As for a doubel stroller that can accomodate a 4 year old, I highly recommend the Per Perego Tender Twin. Our DD was almost 3 when our son was born. She is tall, and she wouldn't fit in most double strollers. The Perego Tender Twin was another story. The back seat provides a very nice, enclosed, carriage like environment for the little one, and the front seat has a TON of room for the older child. Our DD is 4 1/2 and she still fits in the stroller with lots of room to spare. Unfortunately, it is a very expensive stroller - but well worth the money. We saved a buch by getting it on eBay. However, given that your oldest is 4 you might not get enough use to justify the cost.

As for other stroller options.........................we have another son on the way. As such, we need stroller seats for 3 on our December trip. After lots of research we just bought a Combi Ultra Savvy. Great stroller, great features, fully reclining, with plenty of room for our 4 yo. It is also an unbrella type travel stroller, costs about the same as the Pliko, but folds a little easier. I highly recommend it. Again, we saved a bunch by getting the Combi on eBay.

We are leaving on Saturday and trying out a Graco DuoRider (side by side) for the 1st time with our DS (just turned 4) and DD (turning 1 on the 17th). We traveled to Disneyland in October with a DuoGlider (tandem) and it worked okay, but it is a heavy, bulky stroller and doesn't maneuver well with all the weight in the front. Plus our DS still takes a nap and we wanted him to be able to recline.

I have heard good things about the upper end side-by-side strollers (MacLaren, Pliko, others) but we did not want to spend that much money since DS will not be using a stroller for much longer.

I am a little concerned about the width of the stroller but it seems to have the best features for what we need. I guess we'll just take the baby out of the stroller and walk in the stores instead of trying to maneuver in the aisles.... whenever possible.

Originally posted by HoosierFantasia
Hey Lori,
I was looking at the Baby Trend Sit-and-Stand Stroller last night at Baby Depot. Sounds a lot like the Peg you have. Looks like it could be the best solution for us.
thanks for your input, I will look online for the Peg. I bet it costs a little more than the baby trend.

Bill

I have the Sit and stand and couldn't imagine bringing that to WDW!!!! It's just too heavy and bulky for the buses, monorail, cars or the train in MK etc...

Maybe you could try a double side-by-side umbrella stroller?

Just giving my humble opinion on that big bulky stroller.

Okay we are back and I just wanted to post an update on our experience with the side-by-side stroller. Although we LOVED having the huge basket underneath for all our stuff, it was just NOT easy to maneuver anywhere. It did fit everywhere because it is the same width as a wheelchair and most everywhere has to be wheelchair accessible. However, the swivel wheels in front were not cooperative much of the time. I saw alot of other families with the DuoGlider (front to back) and was missing ours that we left at home, even though it was heavier. Since we wound up driving to all the parks (another story altogether why we didn't rely on bus transportation), it wouldn't have been a big deal to have a heavy stroller.

I saw quite a few side-by-side umbrella strollers too, but I don't know if they'd be any easier to steer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter