Drive between LA and San Francisco

ScotScroogeMcDuck

Mouseketeer
Hi,

we're travelling from UK to California for the first time in October, we're going to be doing LA/Vegas/San Fran.

We were going to drive north from LA to San Fran however we've heard you get a better view driving south from San Fran to LA.

Is this true, any thoughts are much appreciated.

thanks

I've never driven the whole PCH from SF to LA, when we drive, we're usually trying to get to the park by opening (it's about 5 hours for us on Interstate 5, 5 really boring hours).

however PCH is beautiful and the cars going south are on the outside lane. I think either direction is beautiful, but the passengers may enjoy southbound (SF->LA) more.

I've driven Hwy 1, 101 and 5 both north and south between SF area and LA. I'm not sure why it was recommended one direction over the other except you would be on the inside of the lane heading north and (if not afriad of heights) on the outside lane heading south so you might see more if you are the passenger and slightly more as the driver on a south trip from SF to LA.

I totally recommend Hwy 1 (but check for any road issues due to wash outs, mudslides, etc.)

Have a wonderful trip and don't miss all the gems along the way like Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, etc. A picnic lunch in one of these areas would be really excellent.

Kate :)

I’ve never heard that. Unless it’s for the reason Kate mentioned
the view going north is exactly the same as the view going south.

I’ve driven both ways and have never noticed one being better than
the other. No matter which way you are heading the sights are
spectacular.

where did you hear this?

We are going next week and we are going southwards for the reasons stated, ne need to seepast other cars, not sure if it makes a huge differance but I will report back in a few weeks.

So is it because the passenger is farther away from the ocean when
heading north?

I've never driven the whole PCH from SF to LA, when we drive, we're usually trying to get to the park by opening (it's about 5 hours for us on Interstate 5, 5 really boring hours).

Is it really only 5hrs? My research estimates about 410 miles from SFO to Anaheim. I was "budgeting" about 7 hrs due to traffic. I am not shy about exceeding the speed limit, FTR.

Is it really only 5hrs? My research estimates about 410 miles from SFO to Anaheim. I was "budgeting" about 7 hrs due to traffic. I am not shy about exceeding the speed limit, FTR.

I've done this drive more than I want to remember in the last 13 years. And it can varies from 6-8 hrs on average depending on traffic. There's no way to get from SFO to anaheim in 5 hrs unless you don't stop and go WELL OVER the speed limit with NO TRAFFIC.

Hwy 5 is known to have bad traffic, especially the stretch between Burbank and after downtown. If you're going on weekdays, remember LA rush hours can start as early as 5am. Tons of commuters.

As for PCH. Take your time driving. It's a beautiful drive and you shouldn't rush through it. Plan for a stop near Big Sur or Hearst Castle if you plan on visiting.

Have fun.

hi all,

thanks for your responses. It was a friend who rode a motorbike between the two - I thought it sounded strange - It's not as if the lanes are that far apart!

Cheers

Hi...I don't post often, more of a lurker. I am based in the UK and have visited the Florida forums in the past but we are now planning our first visit to California in October.
I have a couple of questions about the PCH .... Is the drive 'doable' in one day? We are planning on leaving San Francisco and driving to Anaheim. Is it possible to drive part of the way on the PCH and then leave it and take a different route to save some time?
I saw the PCH on a travel programme many years ago and always wanted to drive down it, the views look amazing.
Thanks...Sarah

I drove PCH from Monterey to San Luis Obispo last week, it was great scenery....but the drive is a very tiring one. I am an experienced mountain driver in a great car, and it still took a lot out of me.I agree that traveling south is easier because there are more turnouts, both for slower traffic to move over, but also to easily stop for quick rests or photos.

. . . We are planning on leaving San Francisco and driving to Anaheim. Is it possible to drive part of the way on the PCH and then leave it and take a different route to save some time?
Sarah,

A popular drive is PCH south to San Luis Obispo, then Highway 58 inland to the 5 Freeway. The 5 goes to Anaheim.

This would be faster than taking PCH all the way to L.A.

Woody

You can do it in 5-6 hours if you are going 85-90mph most of the way. I did it once but would not recommend it. CHP likes to hang out by the grapevine and North LA. Traffic plays a huge part especially when you get to the LA area. I normally plan 6-7 from Sacramento.

I just drove this last week and can say without doubt I am glad I drove from san fran down.

I seen lots of folk trying to cut across trafic to park and get good pics, If you want to stop and are on the correct side you can do it at the last minute not the other direction, dear hubby took lots of pics from the car that would just not have been poss, by the way stop and see the elephant seal, they weere truly amazing.

Hi...I don't post often, more of a lurker. I am based in the UK and have visited the Florida forums in the past but we are now planning our first visit to California in October.
I have a couple of questions about the PCH .... Is the drive 'doable' in one day? We are planning on leaving San Francisco and driving to Anaheim. Is it possible to drive part of the way on the PCH and then leave it and take a different route to save some time?
I saw the PCH on a travel programme many years ago and always wanted to drive down it, the views look amazing.
Thanks...Sarah

First some terminology. (And I'm not picking on you, Sarah - many of the other posters used the term wrong).

While California Highway 1 traverses the length of the state, only the portion south of Santa Barabara is called PCH, or Pacific Coast Highway. The most beautiful portion, down the Big Sur coast, is just California Highway 1.

At any rate, I wouldn't recommend doing this route from SF to LA in one day. The whole point of taking this drive is to take your time and see the beautiful coastline. If you're relaxing and seeing the sights, the scenic portion from Monterey to San Simeon should take 5 or 6 hours.

That said, it can be done. Take US 101 south from San Francisco. Turn west on CA 156, which will empty onto CA 1 near the town of Castroville. Take CA 1 south past Monterey (are you sure you don't want to stop and spend the night here? We have some wonderful sights).

After Carmel, CA 1 becomes a two lane road. Take it down the Big Sur coast. At the town of Cambria, you have a choice. Personally, I would continue on CA 1 until it joins US 101, and take 101 through Santa Barbara to LA. Not as scenic as Big Sur, but still a beautiful drive. Alternatively, at Cambria you can take CA 46 west to Interstate 5, and take I-5 to LA and then Anaheim.

HTH,
Bob

Hope you don't mind if I just use your thread to ask a question!

We are driving from San Francisco to Disney in a couple of weeks. We really want to stop in at Monterey and see the aquarium (do you think we can do the aquarium in under 2 hours?) and then stay the night somewhere along the way.

We have a 3 year old child so don't want to spend more than about 6 hours in the car at one time. Where is the best place to stop for the night, preferably closer to Disney so we have less driving on the second day?

The great thing about the aquarium is that you can do a quick 2 hour visit to catch the highlights, or you can spend most of the day. So yes, 2 hours will work. A lot of people just want to see the otters anyway. But make sure to take your little one to the touch pool. It's great for kids, and educational.

Now, the route. The quickest way from Monterey to Anaheim is to take CA 68 to Salinas, US 101 south to Paso Robles, CA 46 across to Lost Hills, and then I-5 south to LA and then Anaheim. This incidentally is the route suggested by Google maps, which puts it at just under 6 hours.

The thing is, there's really nothing between Salinas and Paso Robles. There are some dinky towns, but nowhere I'd like to stay. So my suggestion is to stay locally in Monterey, Salinas, or Marina. Monterey is a little pricey. You should be able to find better values in Marina, which is north of Monterey. From there you can get to Salinas via Reservation Rd. Salinas is also cheaper, but watch out for bad neighborhoods.

Alternatively, Paso Robles is 2 hours from Monterey. If you want to head down there for the night, you should find decent motels. From there, it's just about 4 hours to Anaheim.

HTH,
Bob

Thanks for that Bob!
I should have said in my first post that we want to drive down via Big Sur.

Thanks for that Bob!
I should have said in my first post that we want to drive down via Big Sur.

Oh. Ouch. In that case, you're in for a long drive one of the two days. See my previous post about the best route. From Monterey, take Highway 1 down the Big Sur coast. It merges into US 101 at San Luis Obispo. Take that through Santa Barbara and then LA. Then take I-5 to Anaheim.

The problem is where to stop for the night. There's almost nothing between Carmel and San Simeon. There are a few places in the town of Big Sur, 26 miles south of Carmel. E.g., Ventana Inn starts at $550. Sound good? :)

Seriously, option 1 is to stay in Monterey after visiting the aquarium. Your first day is a short drive, with a pleasant stay in Monterey. Your second day is to drive the whole Big Sur coast, followed by the drive past SB into LA and then Anaheim. If you take any time at all to enjoy the sights of the Big Sur coast, I can't imagine it taking less than 9 hours or so. Maybe more depending on sightseeing and traffic in SB and LA.

Option 2 is SF to Monterey, 2 hours at the aquarium, and then drive the Big Sur coast as far as San Simeon (or Cambria, depending where you find better rates). Day 2, from there to Anaheim, is an easy 5 hour day. But day 1 is pretty long. Let's see -- 2+ hours from SF to Monterey, 2 hours at the aquarium, and let's say you don't dawdle too much on the scenic Big Sur drive, so you do it in 3 hours. OK, that's doable. Just make sure you leave Monterey with enough daylight left to take advantage of the drive. It would be a shame to do that drive in darkness; as well as being a stressful drive if you can't see.

I guess I'd take option 2. But get an early start, and leave Monterey with enough daylight left. Be aware that there are very few services on the Big Sur drive. The town of Big Sur will have gas (probably $4+), food and lodging. If you want a meal with the view of a lifetime, but pricey, eat at Nepenthe's just south of the town of Big Sur. The only other services are at the "town" of Gorda. A gas station (probably $1 higher than Big Sur) and an old motel. You'll get back to civilization once you hit San Simeon and then Cambria.

Enjoy! HTH,
Bob

You'll get back to civilization once you hit San Simeon and then Cambria.
Speaking of San Simeon, Hearst Castle is a popular stop. If you do that you'll probably want to stay overnight in Cambria or San Luis Obispo (SLO to the locals). Madonna Inn is a unique hotel in SLO. Just a couple of thoughts...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter