Drive from Disneyland to San Diego Zoo ?

Msslaydbug

<font color=green>Can't wait to get back !!<br><fo
How long did the drive take you from Disneyland to San Diego Zoo ?

It looks like on mapquest an hour and a half but I know traffic can tell a diffrent story in California. :confused3

I am going from San Diego to Disneyland to see a friend and her daughters and I am so dreading the drive. It says an hour and a half but I doubt it would be that easy. I am never that lucky.

My husband says late morning or late at night aren't too bad, just under two hours, if you speed when you can but not excessively. I remember when my son and I made the mistake of leaving Harbor Blvd around 4PM, it took us almost 3 hours to get there!

we did a weekend drive and it was about 1 1/2 hours so instead of traveling 3 hours a day we spent the night. Upon arrival we saw San Diego Zoo and next day, Seaworld. Then we drove back to Anaheim to continue our vacation. It worked well.

Definitely under 2 hours. Could be anywhere between 1.5 and 2 hours, but not more than 2 hours, unless there is a MAJOR unpredictable accident on I-5. It would really be under 2 hours in most all situations.

No more than 2 hours except during rush hour. Definitely avoid rush hour, or it could take 3 hours. And definitely take advantage of the HOV lane in Orange County on the 5!

If you can, check the traffic speeds online before you set out.

Isn't it funny that they call it rush hour when it actually takes you longer to get anywhere?!

No more than 2 hours except during rush hour. Definitely avoid rush hour, or it could take 3 hours. And definitely take advantage of the HOV lane in Orange County on the 5!

If you can, check the traffic speeds online before you set out.

What's the HOV?

What's the HOV?

HOV if you have 2 or more (you have to read the signs some are 2 some have to have 3 people in the car) it is a lane on the left hand side of the highway that you can drive when the regular highway is congested.

Sorry - it's the High Occupancy Vehicle lane, and on the I-5 out here, you only need 2 people (even a baby counts).

I usually drive in that lane even if the rest of traffic looks clear, because you never know when it's going to get congested all of a sudden and you can't get over.

So what times are considered morning "rush hour"? I assume if we leave on a Friday at about 10am we should be fine? What about Saturday from SD to Anaheim in the evening will there be traffic?

From 7-ish to around 9-ish would be rush hour, 10 should be just fine.

The traffic shouldn't be bad on a Saturday in the evening.

If you leave Anaheim on Friday any time in the morning after 9:00 (probably even 8:30) you should be ok. And Saturday evening going north shouldn't be a problem - each trip should take 1.5 hours barring unforeseen incidents like accidents or lane closures.

It should be about 1½ hours each way.

Regarding the carpool lane, you need just 2 people (and a baby counts) to drive in this lane. I would however avoid the carpool lane from Disneyland to just before the 55 freeway. If you enter just before the 57 merge, you will get stuck in the carpool and sometimes this lane backs up because people don't know how to merge properly. Try to get into the carpool lane just before the 55, there is an entrance lane when it opens up.

Candace

Bringing a thread back to life on a similar subject. I am so torn on what days to do Legoland (which is the same direction as Sea World). We are staying at Best Western Park Place Inn across from Disneyland for a week in June and two of those days we will be doing Legoland (as long as we find a reason to go back on a second day). Should I make those days on the weekend or a weekday? Or one of each. I would prefer to avoid the larger crowds and was considering weekday visits but now I'm concerned about traffic. Anyone know which would be better?

mjmcgillivray: i'm in the same boat. I'm panicking since I dont know which days to plan for San Diego, Universal Studios/Hollywood.

We are staying at the Hojo close to Disneyland from Sept 3-16. So if we decide to leave at 10am to go to the zoo on a weekday (to avoid the traffic) and get there at about noon, will we have enough time to see everything at the San Diego Zoo?

Also, what would be worse as far as CROWDS are concerned a Saturday at Disneyland, a Saturday at Universal or a Saturday at the zoo?

Thanks alot!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter