Drive From Massachusetts with 25 ft Travel Trailer

MICOL

DIS Veteran
Are we nut to try this, has anyone pulled all the way down the East coast. If so any ideas where to stop along the way to make it a fun 1300 mile trip.

There are several on this board from various places in New England and upstate New York that regularly make the trip. We will be doing it from New Jersey next year.

We are looking forward to having a bit of our "home" with us and being able to fix our own meals that we know we like instead of eating out all the time if we stayed at a hotel. Plus, we like to travel and see the countryside.

We don't think you're nuts or maybe we are all just equally nuts.

Al

Hi
Last October we made the trip with a 25' camper it was so nice to have our house. We got caught in so many rain storms that we'd pull in to a rest stop make a dash for the door and were nice and comfy. We didn't do the I 95 route because of the sniper in the DC area but went the I81 and 77 and 26 (I think ). It was beautiful with all the mountians. We (meaning DH, me, and DS's 4 and 22 months at the time) I had books, tapes for the walkman, cds for the car snacks, leap pad x 2. I never heard are we there yet until we hit FL. at 5 and 2 1/2 I can't go to the grocery store 7 miles away with out hearing it.
Hope this helps. I know some do it every year here but my DH said he'd had enough driving for awhile.

We drive every year with a 21ft trailer. Just be cautious, drive slowly and defensively and you will be fine. Also be sure to check your tow vehicle and trailer prior to going (brakes, tire inflation, etc) and periodically check these and your hitch and chains on the trip down, too. Safety first!

:D

We drove our Shasta Motorhome in July. I highly recommend avoiding NJ. We had a much better trip on our way home going on 81 through Virginia (we went to Mississippi after WDW) and Pennsylvania and picking up 84 in Scranton. Beautiful scenery, and no tolls!!! You can pick up 77 in SC, which brings you to 81. This alternate route avoids the Richmond, D.C. and Baltimore issues - so while the mileage is more, the time may not be since there is less traffic.

Whichever route you decide on, be safe and have a great trip:D

We will be taking our 30' fifth-wheel for the first time in February. My main concern is the weather. After the storm we had last year, we thought about cancelling. But DH is a "trucker" and is very good at braving the elements.

I'm really looking forward to having my "home away from home" to come back to at the end of the day. Being from central PA, we always travel 81 to 77 to 26. It seems to be the most direct, least travelled option for us.

If anyone has any recommendations for a 1st timer at Fort Wilderness, please send them my way. We will probably need all the help and suggestions we can get!!

Di

Hard for me to avoid New Jersey since I live there. But, we are timing the first part of the trip late on a Sunday night and missing much of the congestion while hoping to get through to Petersburg, VA before stopping. So, we will start the next day below the worst of the traffic. We also used to live in Baltimore, MD and know some of the back routes to avoid the bad spots in DC and VA. The big interchange in VA where I-95 and the Beltway meet should have the new direct lanes for I-95 open by Spring 2004 easing traffic there.

Al

Thank you for all the info on this thread. Its a tough choice, fly SWA and its 3 hours. Drive for 23 hours but see the East Coast and stop along the way. We can only drive in the summer and we are a bit afraid of the heat. Our other options are the school vacations and they are all very busy. For the people who do drive, how much each day? and do you stop at a campground or two on each way to split the trip up.

We generally stop overnight at a KOA at Florence, SC, get up early and make it to FW by early afternoon. That makes for a long day the first day, about 12 hours on the road, then about 7 hours the next.

:D

Originally posted by di17090
We will be taking our 30' fifth-wheel for the first time in February. My main concern is the weather. After the storm we had last year, we thought about cancelling. But DH is a "trucker" and is very good at braving the elements.

I'm really looking forward to having my "home away from home" to come back to at the end of the day. Being from central PA, we always travel 81 to 77 to 26. It seems to be the most direct, least travelled option for us.

If anyone has any recommendations for a 1st timer at Fort Wilderness, please send them my way. We will probably need all the help and suggestions we can get!!

Di

You are just north of me (I'm in Mechanicsburg). We plan on taking 15 to 270 to 495 (west of DC) to 95 on our trip next year. Have you tried that route?

Jerry in PA

That is the route we take, and it has worked out very well for us for the past 3 years. We also take the Richmond and Jacksonville bypasses, and take I95 to the bee line rather than go through Orlando.:D

You are right next door (and over the mountain) from me. I'm sure we've gone that way. My hubby has been driving truck for over 25 years (for Keen Transport). We've taken every route imaginable. We seem to always make out better with 81/77/26. Seems to be faster and less congestion.

I'll make sure to double-check with him to see if we've ever gone the way you travel.

Di

Hi MICOL
We have towed our 22ft trailer down 4 times. We like to get there as quickly as we can, so we only stayed in a campground along the way, once. We stayed at a very nice state park in Santee, S.C. once. The rest of the time we just stop at a truck stop (Flying J's) for some sleep.
I would recommend that you get in the AAA club, and get the extra package that includes camper protection(we broke down in N.J. once so that was a big help).Plus they will map it all out for you.
It is a long haul, but very worth it. Ft. Wilderness is the best campground!

We pulled a tent trailer down with a Jeep(not a Cherokee) with 4 people in it from Burlington MA. Ahh to be in my 20's again ...we all actually remained friends, my girlfriend at the time is now my wife of 9yrs ....yup good times, good times. We just stopped once each direction in No. Carolina stayed at hotels both times the only real rough part of the trip I remember was the traffic in DC. But we had an blast at Fort Wilderness and Pleasure Island (CONGALOUSH!) I dont know if they still say that at the Adventures Club but my friends and I still do.

Hi!

We just made our 3500mile round trip this past August. I, NOT DH, pulled our 40 foot, 20,000 lb. fifth wheel the entire way! The mountains were a bit fun, but not bad at all!! At 60 feet, I matched the 18-wheelers.......and had a blast. PLEASE....if you are staying at FW..........give them your TOTAL LENGTH.......INCLUDING YOUR CAR! Also, if you have slides and awnings, let them know. There are very few sites that accommodate large vehicles with slides and awnings!!! Good luck, and have fun. If you have any q's, just ask!!

Michele

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter