drive from Orlando to beaches?

1canadian

Mouseketeer
Next time I go to Orlando I would like to check out at least one beach. Is it reasonable to drive to Daytona Beach for the day? Or any other beaches? Appreciate your help.

Next time I go to Orlando I would like to check out at least one beach. Is it reasonable to drive to Daytona Beach for the day? Or any other beaches? Appreciate your help.

Now...do you think it's a good idea to go driving around Florida if you get lost from Universal to International Drive??? ;) :eek: :D

Just kidding ya!!! Yes, Daytona is only about 45-60 minutes away...just take I-4 East and I think it takes you out there! I know there are some better beaches than that, Cocoa beach is supposed to be real nice, and I'm sure others can suggest. I'm new here myself and haven't gone anywhere lately besides Vero Beach (about 2 hours away).

The Gulf coast is just a little over an hour in the opposite direction...too, so do some beach research and see what sounds like it would best suit your needs!

Either way, it's definitely do-able!!!

Karen

It depends on what beach you want to go to. If you want to drive on the beach, try Daytona. It's N.E. of Universal. Figure about 1-1/2 hours from the time you leave to you end up on the beach. Cocoa is a similar beach, but you can't drive on it. It's not quite as commercialized as Daytona. It's due east on the Bee Line and takes right at an hour. Slightly S.E. is Melbourne Beach, same ocean, no driving on the beach. and less commercial yet. Of course, if you want to see the Atlantic with no buildings around at all, you can go to the Canaveral Natural Seashore. It's a federal park and is also east over in Titusville. It's sand undes and sea oats (don't pick them, they're protected).

The gulf is on the west coast. It's much more tranquil and reminds you more of old Florida. There's no beach driving on the west coast. You're more likelyy to collect seashells on that side. Anywhere from Clearwater south to Sarasota is nice. Figure about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to the actual beach.

Hope that helps ...

Earl...probably a dumb question, but here goes! :rolleyes:

Do all of these major beaches have public access and/or facilities and such? I'm anxious to take the boys and spend a day somewhere, and would like nice sand, not too strong a current, minimal sharks :D , and restrooms! :-)

I know back in MA, alot of the nicest beaches didn't have public access...

All of the info is greatly appreciated!!! :)

Karen

Thanks for your help MsDisney and Earl !!

I will investigate beaches further before my next trip. I'll probably still get lost, but I always eventually find my way.:D

The beaches on both coasts have public access between the hotels, etc. As far as public facilities go, you need to look for the public parking lots or parks that are on the beaches.

Have a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter