Driving to Toronto?

Winston112

Mouseketeer
We plan on driving from Detroit to Toronto July 4th. How is the 401 when it comes to driving? I keep hearing horror stories about it. DH makes me nervous when he drives anyway, but I know the car will be better for the kids (5 and 6). should we just take the train?

The 401 is fine for driving from Detroit. I drove it for 3 years every other weekend from Windsor while I was at school in Windsor and never had a problem. It is not the most scenic of routes but it is the most direct. The 4th of July is a Friday and the 401 might get crowded the closer into Toronto you get so the earlier in the day that you are driving the better it will probably be. The drive will probably take you around 4 hours depending on what part of Detroit you are coming from and what part of Toronto you are going too.

The drive from Windsor to London is not very scenic, but after London things are a little prettier. Rest stops along the way are very good - clean, decent food. You'll have no problems driving. I would suggest trying to time your trip so you arrive earlier in the day rather than later though to avoid as much heavy traffic as possible.

only time i've ever had trouble on the 401 was driving thru a blizzard and thats my own stupidity isn't it? lol as everyone else was saying, friday night it will seem like everyone on earth is heading up north to their cottage for the weekend so the earlier you start moving the better

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter