Dumb Question about DDE

I have heard rumors that the max number to receive the discount will be reduced to 8 or maybe 6. :sad1:

Originally it was 6, maybe they will go back to that. Everyone seemed surprised they went to 10 a couple years ago.

The counter service restaurants at AK take the DDE because there is no full-service restaurant in the park. When Yak and Yeti gets completed that may change, we'll have to wait and see.

The counter service restaurants at AK take the DDE because there is no full-service restaurant in the park. When Yak and Yeti gets completed that may change, we'll have to wait and see.

I would agree, except, that Yak & Yeti will be operated by Landry's (RFC) and they do not take the DDE at RFC.

Someone on the board had said it covered meals& drinks in AK because they did not have any TS restaurants. This proved not to be the case. I asked more than once.

It is good at only a few counter service locations at AK...the closest to TS that AK comes I think: Tusker House, Pizzafari, Donald's Breakfastosaurus and Flame Tree Barbeque.

We have found that the DVC discount is great if you like the restaurants in the S/D (we do)! But having said that, we wouldn't be without the DDE (we use it when we eat in the parks).
Between the two discounts we wind up saving quite a bit :thumbsup2 .
Of course, we don't factor in the fact that as DVCers, we go to WDW more often, and therefore eat more meals for which we need a discount!:rotfl: .

The more you have the more you save. With family of 10 in May saved over $600 it five days.

Someone on the board had said it covered meals& drinks in AK because they did not have any TS restaurants. This proved not to be the case. I asked more than once.

Has anyone had tried to use it at Resort Lounges/Bars?

I used it at Flame Tree in January and Tusker House in November. No problem. Pop Century takes it, and I even got a discount in January '06 at the Port Orleans-Riverside Food Court when it's supposed to be good only at French Quarter (since Riverside has table service). When I questioned the clerk, she said it's because both food courts are considered the same operation so their registers don't distinguish discounts.

Incidenteally, their own promotional material lists the AK table service places as well as the Value resort food courts and French Quarter. It's locked behind the AP log-in page though, so I can't link to it.

Dirk

It's worked for me at AK, I've used it at the Breakfasurus, Pushcarts, and the McDonalds (non-breakfasurus times.) So I'm not sure why they wouldn't let you use it. There are some things which aren't covered. For instance, the Chip&Dale Snack company stuff is "Merchandise" not food. But the water, soda, and Ice Cream Mickey's on a stick are all covered.

I'm a big fan of the DDE, My wife and I try to eat 2 sit-downs per day when we are down at Disney. (We find we eat less junk that way.)

When you add in a few parents and/or siblings, 20% turns into a HUGE savings.

We've used it at the value resorts Food Court. Ummm coffee... the basic rule is it's a flat 20% off food and adult beverages at any Table Service place. But they then add in Counter Service where there isn't a nearby table service place. So AK which only has TS outside the park, and Value Resorts which only have a food court.

One quick AK DDE story. So I was explaining the rules to my mother-in-law, while at the AK MickeyD's and the guy at the register over heard my explaintion of the DDE asked "Are you a cast memeber?" "Ah, no." "Because that is very good explaination."

johno "Not a cast member but I play one in the park."

Yes, it's 20% off the WHOLE BILL!

Yes, it's 20% off the WHOLE BILL!

I guess we eat & drink more than most!:lmao: We saved more than the $60 on our 1st trip. This was just DH & myself on a 4 day food & wine fest trip.

This last trip with a total of 4 adults & one child gave us HUGE savings! Yes, it covers up to 10 people in one party. AND covers all liquor purchases at table service restaurants.

Has anyone had tried to use it at Resort Lounges/Bars?

Used it at the lounge that is near Beachs and Cream at the Beach Club- can't remember the name right now. and Tambu lounge in the Polynesian. We stopped there for drinks and appetizers one time. I used it at Tusker House, Flame Tree and Pizzafari in AK this past year and at AS Movies food court in Jan. If the place is on the list I have the card in my hand and give it to the person taking the order at AK and again to the person ringing it up at the food court before they start ringing.

Since OKW only has the one bar I don't know if it is good there or not since maybe they consider that a pool bar but will ask next time we are there.

I am trying to decide between buying the DDE and the DDP...our DS will be 10 when we go this summer & I just discovered that we'd have to pay the adult price of like $39 / day or whatever it is for him on the DDP but he's all of maybe 52 Lbs & just doesn't eat THAT much so I sort of have a problem with that idea. He's not going to eat $39 worth / day.

I think you have to buy the DDP plan for all members of your party for the entire length of stay, right? At the same time, it looks like there's more places we're likely to eat on the DDP than with the DDE...so it's a really hard decision to make. We usually grab our lunches at the parks... I didn't realize the DDE is good for a whole year...that's a plus but just not sure if we're likely to go out of our way to find a place to use it... I thought $65 for the DDE sounded reasonable until I read here that it's not good for counter service at most of the parks. Don't know what to do :confused3 $820 for the DDP for 3 of us VS $65 for a discount card we may or may not use... Hummmm... Help! :confused: Any thoughts on what you'd do? I think if we could still pay the children's price for the DDP that would be the way for us but now it feels like a much more complicated decision.

Well it basicly comes down to you have to do some math. And know what you are planning on doing.

If you mostly bring outside food in to eat and just grab drinks, then neither plan makes sense.

If you eat light on the run but plan on a few sitdowns, DDE is most likely the plan for you, especialy if you like Jiko, CA Grill, and Citrcos (Just to pull 3 places out of the blue.) 2 people eating at Jiko can easly get to $70-100 before wine. 3-5 meals and you have broken even.

If you eat mostly at counter service/push carts, and your sitdowns are at the less expensive places (Crystal Palace, Tony's, 50's PrimeTime) then DDP would be better for you.

Because the DDE isn't good at most counter service places and a lot of people (at least from my read of RADP) only do one nice sitdown per trip. That kills any savings with the DDE.

johno

I guess I'm having a hard time coming to grip with the idea that my DS will be 10 soon & we're going to lose "kid menu" pricing all over the place - even tho he's still basically a "mac & cheese and chix nuggets" eater most of the time!

We typically only eat a couple of nice sit-downs per trip at WDW - but that's always mostly been because of $. The last time we went neither dining plan was an option & it was all out-of-pocket. This will be our first trip with a dining plan, whichever we choose... I will have to study the list of participating restaurants carefully...

I guess I'm having a hard time coming to grip with the idea that my DS will be 10 soon & we're going to lose "kid menu" pricing all over the place - even tho he's still basically a "mac & cheese and chix nuggets" eater most of the time!

We typically only eat a couple of nice sit-downs per trip at WDW - but that's always mostly been because of $. The last time we went neither dining plan was an option & it was all out-of-pocket. This will be our first trip with a dining plan, whichever we choose... I will have to study the list of participating restaurants carefully...

And in truth, out of pocket may still be the best option for you, given your 10yo is a light eater. That way, he could still order from the kids menu at the kids menu price. Most places still allow that for cash (and DDE) customers, even if the child is a little over the age limit. The DDP would only be a savings to you if you normally eat the type of meals it offers.

Used it at the lounge that is near Beachs and Cream at the Beach Club- can't remember the name right now.

Crew's Cup....and we've used it there too. Isn't that a nice lounge? So handsome I think.

The DDE card worked at the Rose and Crown bar the last time we were there-- didn't order food, just a few pints.:woohoo:
Where's the pint smiley? Couldn't find it!

I paid $60 for ours, I ordered it around Jan. 17-19. I guess we just missed the increase.

thanks, everyone. Yep, it was 65.

I have a spectacular ability to always catch the slowest grocery line and buy my tickets the day after the price goes up.

I can't even talk about stocks.....

I'm struggling with the exact same thing come December! My son turns 10 and there is NO WAY he's going to eat off the adult menu! He's a PB&J, Pizza, Chicken nugget kid. I'm going to sit down one weekend and figure it out each way (DDP, DDE, DVC disc)

thanks, everyone. Yep, it was 65.

I have a spectacular ability to always catch the slowest grocery line and buy my tickets the day after the price goes up.

I can't even talk about stocks.....
When are you planning to buy/renew your AP, please? ;);) :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter