DVC advise

D&DinCND

Earning My Ears
Hi All
Recently we returnd from a trip to Walt Disney World. I have been many times growing up and this was my partners first trip. We loved it, such a great feeling being there. Felt very accepted as well. My question is, if any of you are DVC owners, what made you decide. I hate making big decissions, could use some advice.
THANKS

We decided DVC was for us because we like to travel to WDW and stay in nice accomodations at least once a year. We have been members since 1996 (wow! time really does fly!) We started with 210 points (the minimum at the time) and added on MANY times. We now have an even 1000 points. We now travel to the World 3 or 4 times a year, we take friends and family, we have gone for long weekends and 12 night trips and everything in between, we stay in all sizes of accomodations... The best money we ever spent. Probably more information than you wanted, but I hope I helped with your information gathering. Let me know if you have any other questions about the DVC experience.

We became DVC owners at VWL (Villas at the Wilderness Lodge) just about 1 year ago. My only regret is that we didn't buy when I first looked at DVC back in 1994.

Now, 12 months later we have added on points at VWL and have added on at BWV (Boardwalk Villas).

My advice to you is to buy where you want to stay, and also consider purchasing resale as an option.

Disney is pushing SSR (Saratoga Springs) right now, but be aware that if you press, you can buy at any of the resorts, even if they "sold out", because Disney does have a cache of points to sell.

If you have any other questions. Please ask away!

I bought after staying at Pop Century last month and decided I would NEVER stay at a value again. I usually go 1,2 , and sometimes 3 times a year I go solo, with family , and friends. With Friends we usually go for gay days . Anyways I LOVE boardwalk and just purchased there . I added up all the money I already spent and how much I could spend in the next 3 years and figured I * Had * to Buy this year. I too wish I bought sooner, I remember YEARSSSSS ago A friend and I were walking through the boardwalk area before they were even open dreaming of the day . okay enough about me

p.s. now that I have points to spend I'll have to rethink staying
at POP :rotfl2:

:teeth:

My 1st response to your question would be to hang out on the DVC forum for a while. You'll find more information there then you could imagine would be available, and plenty of helpfully people willing to answer almost all of your questions - and w/ the right answers.

I bought into DVC basically cuz I'm a Disney-addict. I enjoy going to Disney as often as possible. I love staying on property. I enjoy the concept of a pre-paid place to stay on vacation. I love the staying in deluxe equivalnt accomedations, esp after my last stay at All Stars (wasn't bad, just wasn't DVC). I also must say, it's nice to have a reason to have to go on vacation every year. ("I have to go to Disney, can't let my points expire.") I can safely say that w/o DVC I wouldn't be going to Disney every year (I probably wouldn't be taking a vacation every year). I also wouldn't be staying in the DVC quality of resort when I did travel. If you like going to Disney at least every other year, and you prefer moderate or better accomidations, then I suggest DVC.

I will say that DVC is not a financial investment. It is an investment in friends/family and possibly your sanity. It is expensive, not just the initial buy in cost and dues, but you will find yourself going to Disney more often, and since your room is already paid for ... And then there is Add-on-itist (1000 points!! where's the smilie that turns green w/ envy?!) Of course there's also dealing w/ family and friends that say "You're going to Disney again?" These will be the same familly and friends who will be dropping hints the size of Acme anvils that they want to go w/ you.

My only regret is I didn't do as much research about it before I bought in as I should have, but even knowing what I know now, I'd still do it again in a heart-beat.

I need to look into DVC but right now the point system is making my hair hurt :crazy:

My initial worry is that most DVC seem targeted to those who 'like their space'. We would only consider a studio, which I am pretty certain is the smallest unit.

We always go to WDW alone, so no big family/friend jamborees! We are both Premium AP Holders and visit WDW 2-3 times a year. We usually stay at POFQ, Pop Century or AKL. My resort of choice would be Wilderness Lodge...

Does this seem like a good option for a couple like us?

joanjett1976 said:
I need to look into DVC but right now the point system is making my hair hurt :crazy:

My initial worry is that most DVC seem targeted to those who 'like their space'. We would only consider a studio, which I am pretty certain is the smallest unit.

We always go to WDW alone, so no big family/friend jamborees! We are both Premium AP Holders and visit WDW 2-3 times a year. We usually stay at POFQ, Pop Century or AKL. My resort of choice would be Wilderness Lodge...

Hi JoanJett

I own at the VWL and I think it is a great choice for a couple as the studios there have a queen bed and a couch, and it is quite spacious.

The points system tends to make you want to go there on Sunday thru Thursday Night reservations, as Friday and Saturday are more pricey.

Also the point system tends to make you want to look for the value season often, where my favorite is Disney December.

I like the other resorts as well.

I wish I was there now, I would be sitting in the lobby reading a book and sipping a morning coffee.

Your a cute looking couple by the way !

To decide if it makes sense for you, you have to calculate the time value of money, and you have to decide if you want to basically be locked into taking one vacation every year for eternity. :-)

Using the following assumptions: Boardwalk Villas, second to peak period, standard category, paying $84 a point and being able to buy exactly 111 points and paying a $4 a point for maintenance.

That would mean that one has $9,324 tied up in the club. Given tax free bond interest rates, one gives up $400 a year in interest, and spends $444 on maintenance. Booking a room there costs $2692 during that period, so one's savings is $1848. Projecting out, if one visits every year for 5 years, it is probably a good deal. Again this assumes that one would always stay at Boardwalk Villas if one was traveling without being a DVC member.

If one is a more aggressive investor, the numbers look a bit different. Given an annual rate of return of 11.39% (for example Vanguard's Asset Allocation Fund), one only saves around $1100 so it takes closer to 8 years to break even.

/carmi

I go down anywhere from 2-5 times a year and until a few years ago I would always stay with family. Even though they had the room and I always felt comfortable at their house it never really felt like a vacation to me. So I started to research DVC and ended up buying in OKW and BWV - best decision I ever made. Now when I'm down there it actually feels like I'm on vacation. Typically I will get studios and they are plenty big enough. I'm heading down on Sunday and I'm staying at a 1 bedroom for the first time because I was originally supposed to go with someone but it didn't work out. On one hand I feel like it's a waste of points for just me but on the other hand I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the jacuzzi! I took my Mom and 2 nieces down in January and we had 2 studios, that seemed to work out better for us than a 2 bedroom.

If you're considering it take some time and do some research. Look at how many points you would need - you can get the point charts here or even download programs to calculate points and do "what if" scenarios. Think about where you want to buy - SSR gives 12 additonal years but you may prefer the feel of a different resort. You can usually save money by going resale but purchasing direct from Disney might be easier if you need to finance. And as Tom mentioned, don't forget the annual fees - they vary but use $4.00/point as a rough estimate. I purchased both of my contracts through resale using two different companies. If anyone has any other questions feel free to pm me - I can provide you with a bunch of links that I used to do research.

joanjett1976 said:

JoanJett,

We started the same way and thought that a studio would satisfy our needs. We were also set on VWL as our home resort for a number of reasons:

1. WL was our favorite resort and we typically stayed there when we went to WDW
  2. VWL is the smallest of the DVC resorts with a total of 137 units comprised of studios, 1bdrm and 2 bdrm. We decided that we wanted the benefits of being able to book our home resort 11 months out. That has worked out well, considering our next trip is in December, which is apparently a high demand month for VWL
We have stayed at other resorts, most recently at BCV for New Year's Eve, but find we still really love the atmosphere of VWL. Precisely because we feel so secluded. I love to go downstairs in the early morning and sit on the "porch" and enjoy my coffee in the morning calm.
I looked at how many points we would need to cover the majority of the times we would want to go down. I elimnated the peak, peak, peak seasons of Christmas week, Easter and Thanksgiving.

Given that I like many people are a corporate drudge, I decided that I needed to be able to stay over on Fridays and Saturdays, because that's when I have time off.

The points are really not so very hard to manage. I find now find them quite easy, and we even have two different membership numbers.

I can recommend a few sites and point calculators and planners. If you just want to look at point charts, you can go to, the Time Share Store, a resale broker (how I bought my first VWL contract). The link to their site is:

http://www.dvc-resales.com/DVC-point-charts.htm

Then there are two programs for a PC (I have a mac, but I used these on a friends PC) they were developed by a DISer named Caskbill. Both are free programs.

One is DVC Chart which is a set of point charts and gives you some minimal functionality.

The other is DVC Planner that lets you play "what if" vacation planning scenarios. You can get the programs by going to:

http://web.nalu.net/~wneth/dvcplanner.htm

When I was exploring I also posted questions on the DVC boards here. If you have any questions, you can also PM me.

Now I said that we originally thought that all we would ever need is a studio. And, studios are nice and room and definitely a step up from regular room, especially with having the microwave and all. But, we have now become really spoiled with 1 bedrooms, plus we like the flexibility of a friend/friends coming down with us. And I never thought I'd say this, but I also love having the washer and dryer in the unit. We pack much lighter.

So, if you have any questions, ask.

Thanks IanKH!

We really fell for Wilderness Lodge as well on our last trip! I loved taking the launch to MK (and crossing the Water Pageant! Well hello there Sea Serpent! :wave: ) after an evening stroll. We had a great meal at Artist Point and I loved the feel of the adjoining bar.

This is definitely something we'll be doing our homework on, not a spur of the moment decision. This past year, we went for 7 days in June, 6 in December and now 14 in May. And that's not counting DL & DL Paris...if only they made international AP's!!!

joanjett1976 said:
Thanks IanKH!

We really fell for Wilderness Lodge as well on our last trip! I loved taking the launch to MK (and crossing the Water Pageant! Well hello there Sea Serpent! :wave: ) after an evening stroll. We had a great meal at Artist Point and I loved the feel of the adjoining bar.

This is definitely something we'll be doing our homework on, not a spur of the moment decision. This past year, we went for 7 days in June, 6 in December and now 14 in May. And that's not counting DL & DL Paris...if only they made international AP's!!!

It took us a long time to buy. Well, actually I wanted to buy back in the mid-1990's but Hisselfness talked me out of it. Oh well, our last trip I got the supreme pleasure of hearing him say, that he was wrong.

Actually, I'm glad we waited because although it was several years after it opened, we got exactly what we wanted which was VWL.

We love the water pagent too. It surprising that after umpteen visits, we still make a point of grabbing a beer, heading down to the beach and watching the Electrical Water Pagent at least one night during a stay.

My next goal is for us to be a Flag Family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter