DVC and Disney Cruiseline

Darthmerideth

Earning My Ears
Has anyone used their points for the cruise? I was thinking of doing a 3 day cruise, then going to the world for 7 days. 123 points for March 15, sounds like a good deal. I have spent time on the Cruiseline thread, but it assumes you are purchasing the cruise. Anyone know the differences between a cruise on cash vs. a cruise on points?

Rent/Transfer your points and pay for your cruise in cash. The point exchanges are a rip-off. You'll do much better NOT booking on points.

Rent/Transfer your points and pay for your cruise in cash. The point exchanges are a rip-off. You'll do much better NOT booking on points.

Not always.

I booked a cruise with my points and then, later, looked at a few sites that offered the cruise at discounts (VacationsToGo and places like that.)

The price equivalent of my cruise (multiplying the points needed by the maintenance fee per point) was about $100 cheaper than the discounted price of the web sites.

We have used points twice for cruises. Once one of us paid cash and the other used points, a 7 day cruise.:cool1:

I must disagree with this comment also. 2 Cat 11 staterooms for our upcoming 3 night cruise in January cost us 268 points. Just checked the DCL website, same rooms cash price is $1608 per room. This figures out to renting the equivalent points at $12 per point. Not worth the hassle of renting at that price. JMO

I just come back from a cruise using our points and it was the best thing we have ever done. We would never have gone if we did not have DVC as never even thought about a cruise before. Best vacation ever and will definately be going on another one.

Oh and if you read some of these threads you are a devil if you rent points out.

Unfortunately for us living here in the uk and work comittments and school holiday timetables have made it very difficult for us to visit wdw until my daughter leave school in a few years time and I may have to rent out points, but would never do it and then pay cash for the same thing.

I have used points for an II exchange in the UK and disneyland Paris hotel trips as well. Hoping to use my DVC points on the next med cruise though.
I can wish

susan

I must disagree with this comment also. 2 Cat 11 staterooms for our upcoming 3 night cruise in January cost us 268 points. Just checked the DCL website, same rooms cash price is $1608 per room. This figures out to renting the equivalent points at $12 per point. Not worth the hassle of renting at that price. JMO

:eek: $1608 for a 3 day cruise!

We're going on a 7 day cruise in December. We have a Cat 12 GTY and it is only $1300.

Is the 1300 based on 2 adults with no transfers? If so when did you book it and how long ago?

I think Diane is fundamentally right... selling your points and paying cash will likely put you ahead (slightly), but the difference is not worth the pain of working throught the selling, and managing of your points sold.

You have to work the numbers out for youself. A veranda stay might find a bigger difference in costs and make it worth it to buy cash and sell points.

I just want to thank everyone for their thoughts. I think I will go for it if my wife does not start nursing school in the spring. I am not going to tell her I included the cruise in our vacation until we pull up to the ship, should be a fun surprise for her and my 5 year old. :yay: Thanks!

Remember when figuring in your point/dollar ratio for cruises that on a cruise food and entertainment are included. When at a DVC resort, you have those additional expenses. This increases the value of the cruise points.

Also, we got a discount on the third person rate when booking the first two on points. The DVC rate for our 5 year old was less than the rate we could have gotten through a regular TA.

We easily got over $10 per point and didn't have the hassle of trying to rent.

Jim

We will by using point for our first cruise in January. Looking at the regular booking cost and the amount of points we would use it was not worth the hassle to rent out points and would not get us ahead any if at all. We got a discount on the two people we had to pay cash for.

Denise in MI

For those who pay DCL direct with cash, the cruise line sells staterooms in booking tiers. Therefore, there may be many people in the same category of rooms, paying far different prices for the same cruise, depending upon when they booked.

I have cruised many times using DVC points and have always been pleased with the cost/points used. One can combine points with cash as well, using DVC's pre-arranged price with DCL for fares.

For us, its also important to factor in opportunity cost. We don't have a lot of points and want to use them for WDW - cruising on points would mean not going to WDW (or paying cash to stay at WDW)....so we cruise on cash.

But I think everyone needs to do their own analysis.

:eek: $1608 for a 3 day cruise!

We're going on a 7 day cruise in December. We have a Cat 12 GTY and it is only $1300.

Just looked at booking thru DCL for Jan/08 and can get cash price for 2 cat 11 staterooms (2 people per room) for $1906 or $953 per room, including taxes and fees. Pts cost still at 268 (Value season).

One thing to remember when cruising on points.....if you have to cancel, you can't use those points at any WDW resort, only in the Collection catagory. That said, I will still use my points to cruise. Since I am still paying for my original DVC purchase, makes no sense to pay more $$ when I can use these points.

I have cruised many times using DVC points and have always been pleased with the cost/points used. One can combine points with cash as well, using DVC's pre-arranged price with DCL for fares.

What options are there for combining points and cash? Does it have to be per-person, as in you pay for the adult cruisers but can pay for the 3rd and 4th persons (kids) in cash? Or if you are short a few points, can you pay them for the difference?

We were considering a Disney Cruise, on cash, but with buying this new loaded contract (fingers crossed as it awaiting ROFL) it may be a good time to consider a cruise. I don't think I would have patience to save those points on my own!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter