DVC makes sense to us!

I cannot, but Starwood, SOG and Hilton can tell you the exact price of the benefits because they pay Disney for them. I have to agree with Crisi on this one. Money is fungible and the premium is related to benefits that can be duplicated through other means at a cost, certainly not priceless.

No, starwood, SOG, and Hilton contract with Disney so their guests have access to the perks as well. At least that's my understanding. I doubt there is an overarching breakdown of the "price" of each perk.

And, again, since I was categorizing them in relation to the scenario presented...unless I miss my guess, the person in that scenario is not Starwood, SOG, or Hilton.

And "cost" is not the same as "price".

You can have them at a cost (the cost being renting a room/camp site on-site or at a participating hotel). They still, individually, have no price.

Again, unless you can point one out?

They are without price. They can be had at a cost, they may have value...they do NOT have a price.

Can we end the semantic arguments now?

Yes, I'm aware of the strict definition of the word...it's why I later clarified what I meant.

Again, you're speaking of VALUE, not price.

Unless you can point to a la carte pricing, they are, indeed, without price (price-less). What effect their value might have IF they had a price is a moot point..they simply don't have one.

Please, point to the exact price set for the items in question...by all means. I'll be more than happy to edit my post if you can accomplish that feat.

Simply trying to equate them as "priced" because they are value adds to another thing isn't apt. You can HAVE them for that price...it doesn't mean that IS their price.

Of course I am speaking to value beyond price that is the definition of Priceless per webster. I fully agree the perks have no sperate price tag but they have value - for that value to equal priceless IMHO they would have to be much harder to come by - the only WDW perk I can think of right now that is truly Pricelss is a night in the Castle it is occuring on a daily basis but is in no way something you can obtain for Money it is therfore priceless not simply without price.

I believe the underlyiing theme here in this thread is DVC / Disney service experience and the value of being onsite. My point is anyone can for $ 40 to 200 dollars per day buy themselves all of the perks that go with being onsite for a party of up to 10 people and choose to stay offsite. Their purchase both validates the value of the perks and re-enforces that they are not priceless since they are being obtained for money yes as a combined bundled purchase but none the less they are being purchased i.e. acquired for money. Whether it is a good value or a poor one is debateable and open to discusion. Based on the earlier example of an offsite 1 week stay with savings of $1,100 for the week IMHO at $40 per day pretty good value at $100 or less so so value at more than $100 per day not so good and above $155 its a loser.

Now the actual ambience and experiences of the specific on site resorts is the one thing that a person cannot reproduce while staying off-site they cannot awaken to the view from an onsite resort or experience the FW etc from their rooms balcony again these things are not priceless obviously Disney sells access to them everyday for money but they are unobtainable elsewhere. Those experieces {in addition to a IMHO reasonable cost for the accomodations (some would say excellent (i.e. low price for certain rooms at certain seasons and days of the week) others would say poor (i.e. high entry cost and MF)} give DVC value and are what makes DVC special.

Of course I am speaking to value beyond price that is the definition of Priceless per webster. I fully agree the perks have no sperate price tag but they have value - for that value to equal priceless IMHO they would have to be much harder to come by - the only WDW perk I can think of right now that is truly Pricelss is a night in the Castle it is occuring on a daily basis but is in no way something you can obtain for Money it is therfore priceless not simply without price.

As I've tried to clarify, I agree they are not priceless in the sense that they have value beyond price. They simply have no price. Glad someone sees what I mean. :)

I believe the underlyiing theme here in this thread is DVC / Disney service experience and the value of being onsite. My point is anyone can for $ 40 to 200 dollars per day buy themselves all of the perks that go with being onsite for a party of up to 10 people and choose to stay offsite.

True, but not the whole story. You COULD get access to all the perks in exactly the manner you suggest...but some of them would be useless (package delivery), some you'd need to duplicate (transportation to and from the parks), and some would be tougher and less convenient to use, so you may get less value from them. And you STILL wouldn't get the DVC specific perks/discounts....whatever their value to you is.

Their purchase both validates the value of the perks and re-enforces that they are not priceless since they are being obtained for money yes as a combined bundled purchase but none the less they are being purchased i.e. acquired for money.

I'm leaving the semantics alone, now. Suffice to say, I've explained my point adequately to this point.

Whether it is a good value or a poor one is debateable and open to discusion. Based on the earlier example of an offsite 1 week stay with savings of $1,100 for the week IMHO at $40 per day pretty good value at $100 or less so so value at more than $100 per day not so good and above $155 its a loser.

Just make sure you add in the "other stuff" like rental car or some sort of transportation. I do agree, at 100 per night, it's compelling...much more, not so much. But that's why I think people say "If you're willing to stay offsite, or in values, DVC might not be for you".

Now the actual ambience and experiences of the specific on site resorts is the one thing that a person cannot reproduce while staying off-site they cannot awaken to the view from an onsite resort or experience the FW etc from their rooms balcony again these things are not priceless obviously Disney sells access to them everyday for money but they are unobtainable elsewhere.

See, this time we agree. Disney sells rooms and "views". They do have a price. Just not one the person in the original scenario can pay and maintain her scenario. Strike that (and I'll actually edit my OP): She could just rent another room for the view, etc. Not practical, but certianly it does have a price.

Those experieces {in addition to a IMHO reasonable cost for the accomodations (some would say excellent (i.e. low price for certain rooms at certain seasons and days of the week) others would say poor (i.e. high entry cost and MF)} give DVC value and are what makes DVC special.

Agreed.

Add to ALL that the fact the room rates are likely to go up over 50 years, which is going to change this equation down the road......

If they do not have a price (not a value, but a price) they are aptly labeled as priceless.
This is a silly semantic argument, but if you insist on playing...

I'm sorry, but the word priceless has a definition. You can't simply make up a new definition and say that something is aptly labeled as priceless because it meets your new made-up definition of priceless.

You made a good point in your original post. But like just about every post on the DIS, it wasn't 100% perfect and complete. Somebody pointed out that one of the things you labeled priceless wasn't actually priceless. Just accept it and move on. No need to go through tortured arguments and made up definitions to "prove" you were right.

This is a silly semantic argument, but if you insist on playing...

I'm sorry, but the word priceless has a definition. You can't simply make up a new definition and say that something is aptly labeled as priceless because it meets your new made-up definition of priceless.

You made a good point in your original post. But like just about every post on the DIS, it wasn't 100% perfect and complete. Somebody pointed out that one of the things you labeled priceless wasn't actually priceless. Just accept it and move on. No need to go through tortured arguments and made up definitions to "prove" you were right.

I didn't "make up a definition"...I clarified what I meant: without price. I clarified because I recognized I was not using the word the correct/traditional way, and meant something other than the standard definition. I said as much, almost as soon as I had posted, and agreed it wasn't the best use of terminology. I also agreed with those that said they are not "priceless" in the sense they have value beyond price. I've NOT argued the semantics, but the content behind them. What I MEANT (and clarified) is true: The items are without price.

If you think the argument is silly...perhaps just let it lie, eh? I'm certainly going to, now.

Edit: Since the semantic police seem offended, I've now edited the OP to say "without price" instead of the apparently offensive misuse of priceless. :rolleyes1:

...1 a : having a value beyond any price : INVALUABLE b : costly because of rarity or quality : PRECIOUS
2 : having worth in terms of other than market value
3 : delightfully amusing, odd, or absurd...
Monty, I'll take what's behind door number 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter