DVC members - how hard is it to book studios at the 7mon mark for race weekends?

XoxoAmy

Attends every runDisney weekend
For those who regularly book studios for WDW runD weekends, how limited is availability at the 7 month mark for a race weekend if you don't want to stay at your home resort?

I'm looking into DVC resale, nd I would use this primarily for booking studios during runD weekends (I try to do all 4 every year), and I'm trying gauge the riskiness of buying the lowest priced contract (possibly Vero? Its $60/pp!) but will I find that I'm limited to ONLY OKW/SS at the 7 month mark every time? I would be ok if there was a handful of variety/availability at the a few of the other resorts, I like mix up my resort stays, but just wondering what everyone's experience has been if you regularly try to book a studio at the 7th month mark?

It really depends on what else is going on around those times. This next year, marathon weekend is right after NYE, so it will be difficult. Princess and SS are often during school break periods. So just be prepared to stay at OKW or SS. If you're okay with that, you should find something.

As for the plan to buy HH/VB, do the math on dues. Due to their locations and hurricanes, those resorts typically have the highest dues of all the DVC resorts, which may cancel out the better deal on points in the long run.

Last edited:
It really depends on what else is going on around those times. This next year, marathon weekend is right after NYE, so it will be difficult. Princess and SS are often during school break periods. So just be prepared to stay at OKW or SS. If you're okay with that, you should find something.

As for the plan to buy HH, do the math on dues. Due to their location and hurricanes, HH typically has the highest dues of all the DVC resorts, which may cancel out the better deal on points in the long run.
Thanks. I know the fees at VB are higher (I'm looking at VB, not HH, but both have high fees!) and the plan would be to sell VB in a few years, once we accumulate points at a WDW property (probably some direct and some resale). Even if I sell VB at a loss, I think I would be saving $ in the long term vs. renting points. Hmmm....

Honestly, if your whole purpose is to book studios at a WDW property (particularly during busy times like race weekends), just keep saving until you can purchase a contract at a WDW property. Studios are very popular and it has just been getting harder and harder to change resorts at the 7 month mark. (A condition that may get worse with the DVC DLH opening up.) You only want to sweat registering for rundisney events, not whether you'll have a room if you get in!

MW often overlaps with the demand from NYE, Princess weekend overlaps with demand from North East states winter breaks + People escaping Mardi Gras, Wine and Dine overlaps with Jersey Week most of the time which in my experience was even busier than any of my Thanksgiving trips. The only weekend that hasn't had stiff booking competition is Spring Surprise, partly because it's a high points season.

Thanks. I know the fees at VB are higher (I'm looking at VB, not HH, but both have high fees!) and the plan would be to sell VB in a few years, once we accumulate points at a WDW property (probably some direct and some resale). Even if I sell VB at a loss, I think I would be saving $ in the long term vs. renting points. Hmmm....
Oops! I edited my post above.

Yeah, I would 100% wait and purchase at a WDW resort that you’d be fine staying at… Prices have been dropping (I’ve seen some SSR below $100/point), and so many crazy cheap contracts are making it through ROFR. I wouldn’t mess with those dues - especially at VB😱 Keep an eye on Fidelity DVC resales - they tend to have great prices even for smaller contracts.

Another vote for waiting to purchase a WDW resort contract. Studios can be difficult to get, and if you’re booking for a race weekend you don’t want to be worried about getting a room. I usually end up staying at my home resort because I love it and I prefer it to whatever’s left over at 7 months (if anything’s left over).

I've been doing rundisney events since 2013. Each year it's a new experience. This year has been atrocious, but that's mainly b/c the corona restrictions were lifted (JUST before my 7 month mark hit).

I'd buy at WDW to stay at WDW, personally.

Also, what's so bad about OKW? Biggest studios around.

I own at HHI and the dues are killer, but I also wish we owned at WDW so I could book at 11 months and still have the flexibility to change at 7 months if other resorts are open. Because of your focus on races you'll always need specific dates so having the insurance of a home resort would be a great idea. Even if you own at SSR, at least you would have a room and then have the same ability to book at 7 months as if you owned a beach resort. But if there's nothing available, you still have the insurance of having a WDW room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter