DVC Resale Vs. Renting

Jameson416

Earning My Ears
Considering buying some resale points at either Poly, BLT, or Grand Floridian. Not in any real rush at this point, just weighing options. We are scheduling a trip in February and recently received several quotes for different resort options for the trip. I recently discovered the DVC rental options on David's vacation rentals and even more recently discovered the rental section on this site. These options, while possibly not compatible with my days due to close proximity to the trip, seem to be much cheaper than regular rental pricing. It has also made me question whether they are cheaper than even purchasing my own points? Does anyone have some major pros/cons to becoming an owner vs just renting year to year?

We're a family of 5, kids are 8,6, and 2, and we just took our 1st Disney trip last February. I'm 33 and it was my 1st ever trip, so I tell my kids they are lucky! Ha. Anyway, we stayed at Port Orleans and had a blast, so we certainly foresee many future trips, which has led me to research all options. Looking for something in the neighborhood of 150-200 points, and really like the idea of being on the monorail. I'm also not opposed to the idea of renting the points yearly, so long as the process is relatively easy, and availability is decent. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pros of renting:
1. No long term financial commitment
2. Flexible with plans whatever they may be (not having to go to Disney every year), kids growing up and losing interest in Disney, able to take a break and go on other trips
3. Cheaper than paying cash obviously

Cons:
1. Inability to modify rooms after booking, unable to cancel without financial loss
2. Having to contact DVC member when wanting to add people to reservation
3. Susceptible to scams if not using a rental broker like David's or DVC rental store
4. Subject to increasing price per point

Pros of owning:
1. Complete control of booking (able to book exactly at 11 months, change dates, modify room at 7 months to another resort, access to membership website which shows room availability in real time, not having to deal with "middleman")
2. Cheaper in the long run if planning to hold for foreseeable future compared to renting

Cons:
1. Significantly larger financial commitment, loss of opportunity cost if you had invested said money instead
2. Kind of goes with above but maintenance fees
3. Must go to Disney at bare minimum every 3 years until sale of the contract or rent points

Personally, one of the things I LOVE is playing around with the member website. It's one of my favorite things about being a DVC member, I constantly go on and check my dates and see what rooms are still available for my trips. I check pretty much every day because I've always been the planner for my group. Some people don't care about that but I'm always trying to get the hardest to book rooms like Beach Club and Boardwalk with my resale points and that's fun for me. If you're okay with just locking in a price 11 months out and are able to say for certain that you and your family will be going during a certain week then renting can work out great without the large financial commitment. On the other hand you have 3 kids. What if they end up having something going on for school that you don't find out about until 3-4 months before the trip and can no longer go? If you own it's easier to modify that trip down from a 2 bedroom villa when they're a little older to say a 1BR or a studio. If you've rented it's harder to do so without losing your deposit.

Last edited:
As long as you can plan in advance then you are good. Renting and owning both have the same limitations since they come from the same source. Big difference is renting doesn’t give you the power of stalking the system for those random cancellations. No need to discuss the difference between owning and renting since it sounds like you understand how the timeshare element works but you could try both. Rent half of what you need so the upfront investment isn’t as much then borrow every other year and rent on years that you already borrowed from. After a year or two of that then you should know plus it gives you time to grow more capital. Maybe another small resale contract down the road with double points and you can get out of renting or sell your small contract since small contracts tend to hold resale value a little better if you finding owning isn’t for you.

Agree with what's been previously said.

Another potential advantage of renting is if you want to plan well in advance, you could select owners to work with who have home priority for whatever resort you want to stay at for that particular trip. Everything kind of becomes your home resort.

Before DVC, we only went with the cash option because we didn’t like the loss of flexibility and the non refundable nature of renting.

While no one thinks they will cancel, things happen, including things out of ones controll

For us, we knew going yearly was a must so owning made sense once they built BLT as that location is where we stayed as cash guests.

We rented once and when we started looking at what it would cost to rent for a longer trip in a 1 bedroom, we started to look into resale. It wasn’t the $ alone, it was spending a good amount and not having control of the reservation. We didn’t like the risk and lack of flexibility once booked. We ended up buying a loaded 100 point contract with the idea of banking and borrowing to visit every 2-3 years. Then a few weeks after that closed, I got addonitis and we found another 75 point contract 😀

TLDR - An owning pro for us is 'Forced Vacations'

'Forced vacations' ... Disney is such a fun place, however I would have a hard time justifying the price year after year. I know I would skip in favor of something less expensive. Or maybe not even be able to responsibly afford it! ( It is a little counter intuitive dropping 5 figures on a timeshare... I still get to be thrifty with points in DVC.. and feel good about! No remorse!)

Regarding cost - You can find scores of posts comparing cost, time vale of money, opportunity cost, etc... in the end it's a very individual thing.

In my equation, the value of time and experiences with my family dwarf the value of money.

Also ...

We've noticed there is less urgency to 'do it all' ... since you will be back to use up your future points. Feels more relaxed.

We go to parks less and enjoy the resorts more. We really like to use Vero, Hilton Head and Aulani.

"Short stay getaways" became more viable.(example : We are going to the treehouses for a quick 4 nights before Xmas... No parks, just living in a Norman Rockwell painting... The Mrs. baking cookies .. the whole family frolicking and playing games all day... If only we could bring the dog... I'm looking at you cabins in ft wilderness!! 🤪)

Anyway, I'll stop rambling ... we love owning.

Have fun! Good luck!

So I’m an owner with, with what I thought was plenty of points. I was communicating with a few owners about a point transfer as a big ressie took a lot of 2024 points & some of 2025; I wanted to have points for 2024.

What I found was that it made more sense for me to buy a resale contract if I could get an amazing deal. So I started shopping around, offering much lower than market, and low & behold, got one accepted.

In short, I’m buying at $80 per point vs buying transferred points for $20. Yes it’s 4x more money, but the contract had double points for 2024 which took the pressure off my stripped 2024 contracts. I got the double points for free and plan to rent them for a minimum of $4,000 up to $4500 which would bring my net purchase cost down to $40 per point. And that’s just the first year value.

Each does what’s best for them, and owning requires yearly dues for as long as you own.. but ultimately way more financially beneficial if you consistently travel to Disney

This is how i started thinking, up until i saw that RoFR was essentially dead this year. we started small thinking it was enough, (50 pt BWV), then we quickly found a perfectly sized and same UY 100pt contract and bought that, then figured we should jump on the VGF summer deal, and buy 150pts direct, then decided to buy another 50pts. Then decided to do a 2nd UY to get 2022 pts and more flexability with booking windows...
So now we have (technically) 4 contracts and 2 UY and 350pts in 2 resorts.
So much for renting....

What i tell close friends and family, DVC can be as simple or as complicated as you want/let it be....

1) Buy pts and stay at your home resort, bank and borrow what you need/dont use... Occasionally have to (or want to) stay at SSR because you couldnt plan that far ahead.

2) Buy pts, buy more, buy resale AND direct, do waitlists, get a 2nd UY, transfer points, rent your points out, cancel reservations, have pts go into holding, reallocate points, worry about 2042 resorts, worry about resale restrictions on newer resorts.

In the end, you have to decide what kind of person you are... Do you have the time to be the 2nd? Do you not care?
My wife and I are planners, so we quickly became #2, and have a multitab google sheet to have everything laid out.

Good luck with your decision...

This is how i started thinking, up until i saw that RoFR was essentially dead this year. we started small thinking it was enough, (50 pt BWV), then we quickly found a perfectly sized and same UY 100pt contract and bought that, then figured we should jump on the VGF summer deal, and buy 150pts direct, then decided to buy another 50pts. Then decided to do a 2nd UY to get 2022 pts and more flexability with booking windows...
So now we have (technically) 4 contracts and 2 UY and 350pts in 2 resorts.
So much for renting....

What i tell close friends and family, DVC can be as simple or as complicated as you want/let it be....

1) Buy pts and stay at your home resort, bank and borrow what you need/dont use... Occasionally have to (or want to) stay at SSR because you couldnt plan that far ahead.

2) Buy pts, buy more, buy resale AND direct, do waitlists, get a 2nd UY, transfer points, rent your points out, cancel reservations, have pts go into holding, reallocate points, worry about 2042 resorts, worry about resale restrictions on newer resorts.

In the end, you have to decide what kind of person you are... Do you have the time to be the 2nd? Do you not care?
My wife and I are planners, so we quickly became #2, and have a multitab google sheet to have everything laid out.

Good luck with your decision...
I agree.

This board is good because it provides a place to run all of your ideas by people who have experience with the items you list in 2.

I noticed the OP said a trip for February….A few thoughts:

1) That is 3 months out, so the cost to rent points would possibly be very cheap and inventory unlikely at the popular monorail resorts listed.

2) Once the older kids get to middle school the ability to travel at “off-peak” times is a lot harder…
and therefore increases the cost of lodging.

3) Renting can be great if you are able to plan 8-11 months in advance and many owners on here appreciate people willing to pay to rent their points.

4) We also rented DVC first (BLT) before we purchased. One of the reasons we purchased DVC was because our trip was initially planned for March 2020 and the events that unfolded made us appreciate having control of the reservation and flexibility of changing it if we want to.

5) The final point is that we got spoiled with the space of a 2 bedroom villa…3 bathrooms, laundry in unit, a kitchen for breakfast and leftovers…. it has made going back to a hotel room or studio basically impossible….

I noticed the OP said a trip for February….A few thoughts:

1) That is 3 months out, so the cost to rent points would possibly be very cheap and inventory unlikely at the popular monorail resorts listed.

2) Once the older kids get to middle school the ability to travel at “off-peak” times is a lot harder…
and therefore increases the cost of lodging.

3) Renting can be great if you are able to plan 8-11 months in advance and many owners on here appreciate people willing to pay to rent their points.

4) We also rented DVC first (BLT) before we purchased. One of the reasons we purchased DVC was because our trip was initially planned for March 2020 and the events that unfolded made us appreciate having control of the reservation and flexibility of changing it if we want to.

5) The final point is that we got spoiled with the space of a 2 bedroom villa…3 bathrooms, laundry in unit, a kitchen for breakfast and leftovers…. it has made going back to a hotel room or studio basically impossible….
Off topic but how frequently are you using your AUL points at WDW?

Off topic but how frequently are you using your AUL points at WDW?
We’ve only been to WDW once in our life, and that’s when we rented the BLT points.

I want to go back and stay at BW or GF, but I have to wait until the politics of the state don’t make my wife boycott it…..

It's also the same flight distance for us to fly to Hawaii as Orlando…. and we don’t have to buy park tickets in Hawaii….

Current plans:

January- VDH (with Aulani direct points)
March- VGC (VGC points)
August- Aulani (with Aulani points)
November - VGC with the 2025 UY points
August 25- Aulani Grand Villa (will clear out our 26 points)

So, I’m thinking WDW will be on the docket for Spring Break 2027….

We’ve only been to WDW once in our life, and that’s when we rented the BLT points.

I want to go back and stay at BW or GF, but I have to wait until the politics of the state don’t make my wife boycott it…..

It's also the same flight distance for us to fly to Hawaii as Orlando…. and we don’t have to buy park tickets in Hawaii….

Current plans:

January- VDH (with Aulani direct points)
March- VGC (VGC points)
August- Aulani (with Aulani points)
November - VGC with the 2025 UY points
August 25- Aulani Grand Villa (will clear out our 26 points)

So, I’m thinking WDW will be on the docket for Spring Break 2027….
Nice! Spring break should be easy to book for DVC.

If you're not in any big rush and it also sounds like you have a "can take it or leave it" ambivalence toward purchasing then I would just hold tight a bit and keep an eye on prices. DVC resale seems to be having a real precipitous drop in prices for a while now and depending on who you ask it still has a bit more to fall before finding some support. I personally have jumped on the pricing these last few months as for me and my family we love Disney and have been coming for years and plan on coming for years to come. I'm happy buying resale here looking at historical prices. I can't turn the clock back and purchase BW in 2002 for $80 with 40 years left but buying it now for say $110 with 19 years left is still something I can come ahead on if I vacation and/or have to rent points till it expires. And 2042 resorts are worst case scenarios for coming out ahead. A BLT contract can be had at a very good price. SSR or AKV as well. But if you wait a bit you may get even better pricing which would really make it a no brainer...assuming you WILL be vacationing at Disney World. Perhaps you may even want to rent one more time and see if Disney World has the repeatability factor. You may come back and say hey this is kinda boring the second go around. Or you may be like many of us here and find a real feeling of home/nostalgia/happiness that you'll want to be a part of year after year. Good luck with your decision!

We purchased recently after years of renting.

From my calculations I’ll never break even compared to simply renting if opportunity cost was taken into consideration.
Never really had a bad experience from renting from the two top brokers, so can’t say it was due to that.
While the added flexibility of being an owner is much better than renting when it comes to cancellations, it’s not really like buying a cash package with true last minute flexibility.
Also when renting you’ll have much better luck at booking around the 11 month point at any resort as opposed to having that opportunity only at your home resort(s).

So was definitely an emotional decision for us to buy into dvc. Can’t really justify it with any good reasoning when compared to renting, but if I were to go back in time I’d do it again with probably more points during that summer sale! It just feels much better to finally be an owner, even if the numbers and comps say it might be a worse deal for our case 🤷

Thank you for the responses! So much good information in this thread. We are locking in our booking for Poly today, so we will be taking that trip. I wanted to atleast stay in one of the monorail resorts before seriously considering buying there. Full disclosure, I thoroughly enjoyed French Quarter (not bcz of theming or anything, as we live in south Alabama and have been to the real one many times) because we were not in the room very much, did not spend a ton of time at the resort, and Sassagoula was awesome. I had a beignet sundae every night! My wife did say that she felt "cramped" in the room, and I certainly don't disagree with that. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to see how much nicer the resort is and how much more convenient the location/travel is compared to the (near double) price tag.

I would like to respond to some of the comments with some more questions, anyone feel free to answer as you can.
For renting points, is availability generally there? Realistically, I never had much hope in finding a DVC rental 3 months before a trip, but what has generally been the cutoff? Is there some/a lot of availability 5-6 months out? Or is it pretty much that you need to book 11 months out if you want to get what you want? Great point about the boys getting older and having less flexibility with school/function scheduling and such, I agree with that.

"Rent half of what you need so the upfront investment isn’t as much then borrow every other year and rent on years that you already borrowed from." Just making sure I understand this comment correctly. This is saying to just rent the points based on the trip we want to take? As in, have a trip scheduled with rented points through somewhere like david's?

I understand the time value of money/opportunity cost concept, and there's no arguing against that math. However, it also assumes that one would actually take that $ and only use it as an investment vehicle. While the future is uncertain, and we all need as much retirement money as possible, my wife contributes to her matched 401k, I have a defined benefits pension plan, and I also have money automatically deferred into a 457B every paycheck. I am less concerned with the time value of this money, should we decide to make a purchase. As one poster said, "the experiences and memories with family are worth more that any amount of money." I agree with this statement completely.

In terms of purchasing... I have really started looking hard at listings, dvcrofr, these message boards etc., trying to learn as much as possible in order to make an informed decision. We are taking this trip in February, so I am not in any kind of rush to buy, but I also want to learn what I can about a good deal vs great deal, what to look for etc. in order to not miss out on an opportunity.

Some of my current thoughts:
-In my situation, being an owner of "0" points, stripped contracts seem worthless to me, unless it was a supreme deal, and I was also buying another contract with it. Most of the stripped contracts I see are priced comparably to regular ones.
-Loaded contracts just seem like they provide significantly more value, even over just regular ones.
-Without significant price discounts (like VGF over the summer) I just do not see the value of direct purchasing over resale. At all. Even with restrictions factored in.
-I will find out firsthand in February, but I really feel like the convenience of the monorail resorts is a big +. We are not bougie at all, but I do not mind spending money on something, as long as I feel like I am getting good value. For instance, I'm very much a "when I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation" type of person. If we drive, I want to park the car and not crank it again until we are leaving for home. Non-Disney property resorts were never even considered, even though I know they represent significant savings. While I will honestly say that I commend Disney for our experience with bus transportation, as it was surprisingly efficient in my opinion (maybe we were just lucky?) but we certainly lost a ton of time with bus travel, and when we went to the park, we were pretty much there for the day.
All of that being said, it seems like we missed the boat on VGF, so future resale may be better than current there. Focusing on Poly and BLT, what would be considered a target?
For instance, BLT, Mar use year, 200 points, $135 pp, 277/201/200, $27k seems like a pretty good deal to me? Also, Poly, Dec use year, 200 points, $133pp, 200/200/200 $26,600 as well. Am I on the right track? I know a lot of ppl are saying prices should fall, but I don't know how they are compared to historical averages, so I certainly don't have an opinion there.

Thank you to anyone who reads and responds to this book! haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter