DVC Response About Ebay Commercial Sellers

TheRustyScupper said:
1) NOTE: I say get-over-it. If you want holidays either book them at 11-mth or buy somewhere you have a guaranteed week time period. DVC was meant to be flexible, not folks complain it is just that.
The point is simple: DVC is meant to be flexible for owners to use their own points to plan their own vacations. We purchased in 1993, and in our 13 year old POS it stated even back then that commercial renting was not allowed.

It's too bad DVC waited until now to actually start enforcing that rule.

jennybobenny said:
Response deleted because I'm not "an attorney who specializes in contract law."
Who cares who "Miz Diz" request a response from, this is a forum for everyone. Feel free to voice your opinion as you wish :).

Miz Diz, as long as you don't use registered trademarks without noteing that fact you should be fine in renting your points on E-Bay. Avoiding copying pictures from Disney websites, etc.

Y-ASK

Hi Jay!

TheRustyScupper said:
NOTE: I say get-over-it. If you want holidays either book them at 11-mth or buy somewhere you have a guaranteed week time period. DVC was meant to be flexible, not folks complain it is just that.
The problem is not too many people wanting the holidays, the problem is that there aren't as many holidays available as there should be because commercial renters like the Welschers would use their thousands of points to book up many rooms on desirable dates, probably on the day they became available.

Those are rooms that DVC members should have the ability to use. Instead, they're gone. That meant fewer rooms available at peak times for people who should have a shot at them. Essentially "scalping" the reservations.

Y-ASK said:
Miz Diz, as long as you don't use registered trademarks without noteing that fact you should be fine in renting your points on E-Bay. Avoiding copying pictures from Disney websites, etc.

Y-ASK

Hi Jay!

Hey,

I have never seen a thread go like this one, some really interesting work done by the people on this thread. I do think based on my conversations, etc. with Disney that you are correct that it is not a problem to rent your points. It is a problem when you are a business and use dvc as such. The Wechslers and Paul and Lind Borgia are prime examples. I am watching with interest to see what ultimately happens. I do think the Borsteins/Wechslers have already set up again under different user names.

Groucho said:
The problem is not too many people wanting the holidays, the problem is that there aren't as many holidays available as there should be because commercial renters like the Welschers would use their thousands of points to book up many rooms on desirable dates, probably on the day they became available.

Those are rooms that DVC members should have the ability to use. Instead, they're gone. That meant fewer rooms available at peak times for people who should have a shot at them. Essentially "scalping" the reservations.

what if DVC instituted a policy during peak seasons where once booked under a certain name, the name cannot be changed?
The person on the original reservation is the one who stays there.
Thus eliminating booking "on speculation"

rantnnravin said:
what if DVC instituted a policy during peak seasons where once booked under a certain name, the name cannot be changed?

I like it.

Must show proof of ID.

Jay Foster said:
I do think based on my conversations, etc. with Disney that you are correct that it is not a problem to rent your points. It is a problem when you are a business and use dvc as such. The Wechslers and Paul and Lind Borgia are prime examples. I am watching with interest to see what ultimately happens. I do think the Borsteins/Wechslers have already set up again under different user names.
Probably so and I think we are beginning to see a transition of sorts of the commerical renter. I don't think I've ever seen this many re-sales at the timeshare store as there are for sale right now. I don't know if DVC's crack down is the cause but it sure looks that way.

Y-ASK

Y-ASK said:
Who cares who "Miz Diz" request a response from, this is a forum for everyone. Feel free to voice your opinion as you wish :).

Y-ASK

Hi Jay!

That's right - feel free to voice your response. My point being on the lawyer comment - Lots of people try to answer questions that they don't know anything about or they think they know what they are talking about and they don't. (Actually I have talked to attorneys before and have known the law better than them - LOL) My remark about - can Disney pick and choose who can rent and who can not was not a smart aleck remark - I seriously wonder what the law is on that. I know "only a lawyer reply" comment sounds smart aleck, but if any comments are made on that I would personally like it from an expert. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I realize most of the complaints here are about commercial renters, but the OP said that DVC took ALL ebay auctions off. So if some of those auctions were not commercial renters, that would mean their listing was taken off, as well. Does this mean DVC is ok with non commercial renters renting to friends or on this board, just not on EBAY?

That's right - feel free to voice your response. My point being on the lawyer comment - Lots of people try to answer questions that they don't know anything about or they think they know what they are talking about and they don't

Well gee, if we stop that, there goes the DIS. :rotfl:

Miz Diz said:
That's right - feel free to voice your response. My point being on the lawyer comment - Lots of people try to answer questions that they don't know anything about or they think they know what they are talking about and they don't. (Actually I have talked to attorneys before and have known the law better than them - LOL) My remark about - can Disney pick and choose who can rent and who can not was not a smart aleck remark - I seriously wonder what the law is on that. I know "only a lawyer reply" comment sounds smart aleck, but if any comments are made on that I would personally like it from an expert. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I realize most of the complaints here are about commercial renters, but the OP said that DVC took ALL ebay auctions off. So if some of those auctions were not commercial renters, that would mean their listing was taken off, as well. Does this mean DVC is ok with non commercial renters renting to friends or on this board, just not on EBAY?

You are making the assumption that the Ebay listings were removed due to this policy. First of all, I don't think ALL Ebay listings were removed (some were still up there after this was reported, though there were many fewer listings). It is my understanding that many of those that were removed were issues of protecting Disney's intellectual property (copyrights and trademarks).

rantnnravin said:
I think I actually suggested that somewhere earlier in this thread (or one of the similar "commercial renting" threads - it's been a couple months!). The downside is that it might be trickier for someone setting up an extended family vacation.

I think the best would be, you're allowed to change a reservation once per year. (Calendar year, use year, whatever.) That would give room for people who are booking for big family gathering but not everyone's signed on for sure, or if somebody backs out at the last minute and another goes in their place, but would keep the commercial renters from tying up big blocks of rooms.

Granted - for folks like the Wechslers, they could still do maybe 3-4 (with the different names they used, plus the "Wechsler Children Trust :sad2: ) but it would still make a big difference and take away a lot of the profit potential.

It doesn't look like the OC Comptroller site shows when you sell something... it'd be really interesting to see if some of our favorite people have truly been unloading their contracts.

Groucho said:
It doesn't look like the OC Comptroller site shows when you sell something... it'd be really interesting to see if some of our favorite people have truly been unloading their contracts.

I haven't been in the OC Comptroller site in a while (not since this thread originally started) but if I remember correctly, it will show the documents of the sale (maybe only sometimes?). A friend of mine sold their DVC and there was a doc showing the date of the sale and the parties that contracted the sale.

I will have to do some detective work to confirm this, unless someone else can confirm? :thumbsup2

Ok, I just went back to the comptroller's site and found the sale document for our friends DVC contract. The document is titled 'Warranty Deed' and it lists the names of the parties, date of sale, property sold and the amount it was sold for (along with a lot of other legal stuff).

Now I don't know if all sales are listed or not (what if Disney excersised ROFR), but I would think everything needs to be recorded somewhere/somehow.

I am no expert in this stuff. I am only telling you what I found for one person's sale.

Any others out there that know someone who sold their DVC? Maybe you could check the site to see if a Warranty Deed is filed there as well? Just a thought.

Miz Diz said:
As I recall, the ebay listings of the family identified in this thread disappeared entirely but some other ebayers kept their listings going but edited them to remove copyrighted content (images lifted from Disney's own websites). Those that stayed have continued to use ebay to rent DVC reservations. Just do an ebay search for some of the other ebay usernames listed in previous post on this thread, or search by DVC resort name.

If you think about it, Disney can probably get a pretty good idea about a possible point renting business by looking at a person's account records.

Doctor P said:
You are making the assumption that the Ebay listings were removed due to this policy. First of all, I don't think ALL Ebay listings were removed (some were still up there after this was reported, though there were many fewer listings). It is my understanding that many of those that were removed were issues of protecting Disney's intellectual property (copyrights and trademarks).

I made that assumption because that is what the OP said, didn't he?

Anyway, I guess all this debate doesn't really involve me so much since I have a small contract and if I can not use the points before they expire, I will either rent to a friend or give to a family member.

At this point, I have closed, but not even in the system yet. By the time I can make a reservation, there probaby won't be any available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter