DVC & Retirement

I like to do a food and wine week in October and a summer, spring or thanksgiving week at Hilton Head, so whatever points are left will be my january time at WDW...maybe 2 to 3 weeks depending on whether I use 1 bedrooms or studios. This year, february was so cold here that I am rethinking which month I may want to be there, I may also need to purchase another contract to get a full months stay.

We take lengthy trips that last from anywhere between 4 weeks to 12 weeks at a time. We'll do a lot of DVC stays, mostly in 1-B/R villas, but sometimes Studios. Normally we don't do the weekends, and jump from resort to resort each week we're there.

As for tickets, an AP is a must.

We probably do more cooking in the unit than most members, although with some of the discounts (E.G. the DDE card), we'll eat out more often than when we're at home. So food costs are up a little when we travel, but not that much. The true increase in food costs is what you spend while on 'vacation' versus what you would have spent while at home.

We drive to Florida and thus have our car there, so outside of the gas for the original drive, our automobile expenses aren't much different than when we're at home.

Keep in mind that while we're not at home, many of the normal expenses there are highly reduced. Utilities for example. Not much electricity used when no one is home. Set the thermostat for 58 degrees, and close off the vents to rooms that don't need any heat at all. In the summer, turn off the A/C completely. If it gets up to 80 degrees inside, no big deal since no one is home. We have DirectTV and you can just call and suspend service when you're gone, so no satellite bills for that period of time. So while we will pick up new expenses while traveling, some of that cost is offset the the expenses we're not having because we're not home. Retirement can be done on a smaller budget.

Just some things we do.

For those still planning, here's a couple of things we did:

1. Put the maximum amount allowed into the 401k plan. That reduces the actual income taxes you pay at the time, and makes a nice nest egg for when you finally retire.

2. Pay the home mortgage early. Every month we paid as much 'extra' as we could toward the house payment. Paid it off in 12-1/2 years. Saved tens of thousands of dollars in interest payments that way. Not having mortgage payments is a big plus once you're retired and your income drops way down.

3. Ditto on car payments. We don't lease but purchase, and get a new car about every 6 years. That way you get the most value out of the car after the depreciation hits hard the first few years. We also make extra principle payments and usually have it paid for in about 18 months. Again, that saves considerable interest.

4. Absolutely no interest paid on credit cards. Pay the entire balance every month.

Just .02 on how we financially planned for retirement. I'm 62 now and have been retired for 7 years....:cool1:

We take lengthy trips that last from anywhere between 4 weeks to 12 weeks at a time. We'll do a lot of DVC stays, mostly in 1-B/R villas, but sometimes Studios. Normally we don't do the weekends, and jump from resort to resort each week we're there.

As for tickets, an AP is a must.

We probably do more cooking in the unit than most members, although with some of the discounts (E.G. the DDE card), we'll eat out more often than when we're at home. So food costs are up a little when we travel, but not that much. The true increase in food costs is what you spend while on 'vacation' versus what you would have spent while at home.

We drive to Florida and thus have our car there, so outside of the gas for the original drive, our automobile expenses aren't much different than when we're at home.

Keep in mind that while we're not at home, many of the normal expenses there are highly reduced. Utilities for example. Not much electricity used when no one is home. Set the thermostat for 58 degrees, and close off the vents to rooms that don't need any heat at all. In the summer, turn off the A/C completely. If it gets up to 80 degrees inside, no big deal since no one is home. We have DirectTV and you can just call and suspend service when you're gone, so no satellite bills for that period of time. So while we will pick up new expenses while traveling, some of that cost is offset the the expenses we're not having because we're not home. Retirement can be done on a smaller budget.

Just some things we do.

For those still planning, here's a couple of things we did:

1. Put the maximum amount allowed into the 401k plan. That reduces the actual income taxes you pay at the time, and makes a nice nest egg for when you finally retire.

2. Pay the home mortgage early. Every month we paid as much 'extra' as we could toward the house payment. Paid it off in 12-1/2 years. Saved tens of thousands of dollars in interest payments that way. Not having mortgage payments is a big plus once you're retired and your income drops way down.

3. Ditto on car payments. We don't lease but purchase, and get a new car about every 6 years. That way you get the most value out of the car after the depreciation hits hard the first few years. We also make extra principle payments and usually have it paid for in about 18 months. Again, that saves considerable interest.

4. Absolutely no interest paid on credit cards. Pay the entire balance every month.

Just .02 on how we financially planned for retirement. I'm 62 now and have been retired for 7 years....:cool1:

Caskbill;
Thank you for reinforcing my planning strategy! Other then age of retirement, I am on the same course as you.

And, for expenses while traveling - we drive as well. Same ideas - we may spend double what we would at home on food by doing dining plan, but I find that as we go more we eat out less. A simple meal is just as satisfying when you've already done most of the restaurants many times over.

Weekend nights now are usually limited to one per week. When we go for longer, I think now that we will do a couple of two week stays, with the weekend spent elsewhere inbetween the two weeks to conserve points - ie start the stay on sunday and stay 12 nights, then weekend off then another 12 nights.

Any retired DVC owners staying at DVC for significant amounts of time (6 weeks at a time or more)? Any non-retired DVC owners planning on doing this? Anybody using or planning on using DVC for wintering in Florida?

Boy I would certainly love to do this but with 3 college bound kids in my house, I walk around saying "retirement what retirement?". :rotfl2:

I would plan to stay at least a month with DVC. Like other folks that have posted, I have an elderly cat (21) that I don't like to leave for a long period of time. :goodvibes

This is a great thread! We bought into SSR last week, really with a vacation planned every year. Now I`m starting to think spending the winter in Florida is very doable with DVC - something I`ve never considered before.
We`ve got 19 days planned at SSR this Nov - we`ll see how that goes.

Well this has always been my goal, to be able to spend a major part of January and February in Florida. We now have enough points where we could spend most of January at OKW in a studio. But we would rather break up our stays over the entire year. We basically do trips about every three months. DVC is great for retirees because since your lodging is paid for you, you can make the trip as inexpensive as you want. I figure if we did nothing else but went down and stayed a week in AKV, cooked in our unit, didn't visit any parks (no passes); it would still be a great trip. Something else I'm considering is to maybe stay at two resorts for a week back to back occasionally. Like 6 nights at VB and 6 nights at AKV. Or 6 nights at HHI on the way back from 6 nights at VWL, etc. In fact, I'm thinking about us doing that next year with VB and AKV. By doing this you also save some money on the cost of gas.

caskbill---What do you do with your mail? Every time we go for over 30 days we have to battle with the post office to hold our mail. They have put a 30 day time limit for holds, both route delivery and boxes.;

Caskbill -

How did you acquire your points? I mean, over how many years? Was it always a priority to keep adding? We are trying to build up our amount over time but I feel like I am in such a rush. I wish I had them NOW, but I realize we don't really need them now. But as I watch the prices increase, I keep thinking it would be better sooner rather than later. Then again, I have that many more years of MF. My DH thinks I am crazy!!

Any advice?

TIA

Ellen

caskbill---What do you do with your mail? Every time we go for over 30 days we have to battle with the post office to hold our mail. They have put a 30 day time limit for holds, both route delivery and boxes.;
We live in a small town (population 5,000). The post office is just down the street from us, and they are very accommodating and don't mind holding longer than the 30 days. Yes, small town America is still different than the city.

We also have set up everything we need to do so we can do it on line, or have it happen automatically. All income is automatically deposited (eg Social Security check, Pension, 401K withdrawal, etc.) Payments are either automatically charged to CC's, or direct debits from our bank account (EG DVC dues). We can check all our accounts on-line. We don't have a single monthly bill that requires us to write a check. Other one time occurrences can be handled using our bank's on-line Bill Pay service. (it's free).

Thus there is no real need to even see the mail. It's mostly junk mail anyway. Even when we come back after 2-months, the accumulated mail is probably less then 40 pieces.

My brother also travels for extended trips. He has a friend who picks up his mail at the P.O. every few weeks.

Caskbill -

How did you acquire your points? I mean, over how many years? Was it always a priority to keep adding? We are trying to build up our amount over time but I feel like I am in such a rush. I wish I had them NOW, but I realize we don't really need them now. But as I watch the prices increase, I keep thinking it would be better sooner rather than later. Then again, I have that many more years of MF. My DH thinks I am crazy!!

Any advice?

TIA

Ellen
We purchased 200 points in 1993. Did a 30 point add-on about 2 years later. About 3 more years after that, did a 100 point resale. That was it for the longest time, until earlier this year when we did a 70 point SSR add-on.

It was a combination of things: Prices, expected point usages, on-going dues, all balanced with income and other expenses. We never had any type of plan for purchasing points. That's just the way it happened.

Thus there is no real need to even see the mail. It's mostly junk mail anyway. Even when we come back after 2-months, the accumulated mail is probably less then 40 pieces.

So true. I travel for two or more weeks at a time several times a year for a total vacation time of about two months.

Everything I do is electronic and paid in full at the end of the month. I even bought a small portable laptop (10") that fits inside a DVD carrying case and that inside my backpack. As long as I have my laptop and internet access, I can set up shop anywhere in the world and not be missed.

We purchased 200 points in 1993. Did a 30 point add-on about 2 years later. About 3 more years after that, did a 100 point resale. That was it for the longest time, until earlier this year when we did a 70 point SSR add-on.

200 + 30 + 100 + 70 = 400 points. Is that the total amount you own?

Gee, and I'm just 80 points shy of staying the winter then.

For me, Disney makes an ideal place to winter. It's handicap accessible with free transportation and surrounded by things I like to do. If I take my van down, I can head out to Walmart every now and again to stock up on supplies. And no one complains about visiting family in Orlando.

Only reason we don't spend winters there is because we prefer warmer months and would miss my young nieces and nephews far too much.

Thanks to Caskbill I know I'm on the right track! Pay extra on the mortgage every month, pay extra on the credit card, pay for everything with cash! I have my wife putting extra in to her 4o3b and I think she finally understands why I'm doing all this! I'm 39 and she is 33. Although I do not think I'll be able to retire at 55 maybe 60. I'll have kids in highschool at that age! here's to retiring early!

I saw this question and thought it was how do you manage to pay your annual dues when you are retired?

Susan

Part of our retirment planning includes estimated annual dues. Never underestimate a Virgo, we plan EVERYTHING ;)

I am way off from retirement age and have two kiddos. But let me tell ya, my husband and I have decided that the day we ship the youngest off to college (hopefully!) will also be the day we are also on a plane to WDW for an extended vacation of at least a month.

We do this and other investment strategies as well. The goal is to have the funds to retire 10 years early as well.

Added note with those who have kids and are worried about college, look into 529 Plans.

Personally I think everyone should do this if at all possible. We just bought a new house this year and did a 15 year fixed on our house and do extra payments as well. The goal s to have it paid off in 8 to 10 years.

We bought our cars outright. I hate having debt, even the mortgage bugs me. So if I can't afford to buy it with cash I don't buy it.

Yup, credit card debt kills people and it is such a bummer to get those monthly bills. We only charge purchase to get the rewards our cards offer and then pay them off each month.

Whoo-hoo! Love hearing people who have retired "early" and made their plan work!

I am shooting for "retiring" at 45. Knowing me I will never truly retire because I work for myself and enjoy working. But I want to have everything in place so I could retire at 45 if I wanted to.

Started a 529 for my son about 3 months after he was born! Daughter is about a week old so no SS YET!

We are working our way toward spending more time at DVC. DH is already retired (retired at 57 and is now 61). I am working for another 6 years until DD is out of college. I'll be 54 then. The plan is to add on 50 to 100 points each year depending on my bonuses and stock market returns on investements. Debt to buy DVC is like all debt to me - it is bad. We have no mortgage (sold an expensive house in the southern part of NH to build a modest home on land I've owned for years in the northern part). That helps a lot when it comes to savings. We fund my retirement plan to the max, spousal IRA for DH, put something in DD's 529 and then do CD's with what I call my DVC money - we only have our original 150 SS points now but I plan to buy either 50 or 100 within the next few months. Since most money is in retirement and education plans I have to be careful not to use up too much of the cash on hand in savings and CD's - it is never good not to have an emergency fund. My other goal is that we won't be touching DH's IRA until I stop working. DH's social security starts in May so that will be another source of savings for retirement vacation pre-planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter