DVC Slap In The Face

That's interesting because when we called up about 10 days ago for Oct 25 - Nov 5 we were told SSR was full! We managed to get a studio for Nov 2-3 but are on a wait list for the 4th.

I am referring to waltdisneyworld.com web site then click on "specials" on the left side of the web site. This is for cash nights through CRO. My point was, SSR has enough availability that Disney has made a special for it. :confused3 I realize that Disney is a owner for SSR and members bank points for SSR for cruises and such.

I guess that part of my irritation is that SSR is a non shared DVC property as is OKW. As a DVC Member we have never been greeted by the SSR GM, but non members get a personalized mailing welcoming them to SSR. It almost seems like they care about cash customers more than DVC Members, even at a DVC resort. :sad2:

I have always been greated with a smile a welcome home and friendly conversation.:confused3 As far as a personalized mailing, as DVC members we already know whats going on, we get the little packet with the dated events when we check in. Don't know what exactly you want, I don't want to sound like a wise guy but do you need some one to tell you your special or what. CRO guests are getting a sales pitch I really don't want one just get me my room as soon a possible so I can get busy vacationing. JMHO

I have always been greated with a smile a welcome home and friendly conversation.:confused3 As far as a personalized mailing, as DVC members we already know whats going on, we get the little packet with the dated events when we check in. Don't know what exactly you want, I don't want to sound like a wise guy but do you need some one to tell you your special or what. CRO guests are getting a sales pitch I really don't want one just get me my room as soon a possible so I can get busy vacationing. JMHO

I guess that's my point. Yes I want to be treated special. I purchased a membership in a club that will cost me $80,000 and I would like to be treated like a valued individual. DVC is supposed to be something special, at least that was how it was presented to me. The Welcome Home greeting was unique to DVC, now it's used everywhere. The mailing that I speak of from the SSR GM welcomes my family to WDW and SSR, but only if I am a paying guest through CRO. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Which trip your September one or December one. Well either way you are trying to get a reservation pretty last minute. There is never a guarantee that you can use DVC points with that little time in advance. Yes even at 4 months especially at peak times like Christmas and definitely not at a month out. I made my last reservation with points at 55 days out and knew I could not get my home resort or any other DVC for that matter at least not for the amount of points I wanted to spend. So I did not even try and I used my points as reservation points and booked Fort Wilderness, I knew I wouldn't have any problems as that is far from being FW peak time. I know as a DVC Member that if I want somewhere specific and a specific time I better book at that 11month window for my home resort or 7month window at other resorts. You start to get under the 7 month and your choices are slim. If you are going to wait, you better have many back up dates and/or places you want to stay, so that MS can search around and find at least your 2nd 3rd or 4th choices, etc.

It really depends on when you want to go. I have never called at the 11 month window because I really don't want to stay at my home resort (BWV - I know call me crazy, but we like OKW. It really does seem more homey to me). And I rarely call at the 7 month window. We just don't plan that far in advance because of DH's job. In a little over 7 years of ownership we've managed to go every time we wanted, plus 1 that we had to cancel because of illness. One year I even called at 4 months and was told the only availability for the room we needed was at BWV! If I can't get what I want I waitlist and so far have been very lucky.

Now, I've never tried to get a ressie during the busiest times (I don't want to fight the crowds), but generally 3 or 4 months out for F&W for the past 5 visits that also happens to coincide with that week when NJ empties the state so every one can go to WDW.

I guess that part of my irritation is that SSR is a non shared DVC property as is OKW. As a DVC Member we have never been greeted by the SSR GM, but non members get a personalized mailing welcoming them to SSR. It almost seems like they care about cash customers more than DVC Members, even at a DVC resort. :sad2:

I'm confused. What do you mean SSR and OKW are non-shared DVC property?

It really depends on when you want to go. I have never called at the 11 month window because I really don't want to stay at my home resort (BWV - I know call me crazy, but we like OKW. It really does seem more homey to me). And I rarely call at the 7 month window. We just don't plan that far in advance because of DH's job. In a little over 7 years of ownership we've managed to go every time we wanted, plus 1 that we had to cancel because of illness. One year I even called at 4 months and was told the only availability for the room we needed was at BWV! If I can't get what I want I waitlist and so far have been very lucky.

Now, I've never tried to get a ressie during the busiest times (I don't want to fight the crowds), but generally 3 or 4 months out for F&W for the past 5 visits that also happens to coincide with that week when NJ empties the state so every one can go to WDW.

I definitely agree with this. This has been our experience as well. We never book more than about 5 months out and always get what we want. Of course, we make it a point to travel during off-peak, so that makes a big difference. We also use 1-Brs, which I understand are the easiest to come by. But we have yet to be disappointed with booking and making the reservations we want. :goodvibes

As for the OPs comments about wanting to feel special. I totally understand that...I love DVC and I still fell special as a member. Of course, we are realtively new, having only been staying at DVC resorts since 2004, so I haven't seen as many changes as others have. That special feeling is still there for me. :love:

This refers to the stand-alone DVCs. For example BCV, BWV, and VWL all also have a "deluxe hotel" part of the resort and then the DVC part of the resort. OKW and SSR are just DVC.

What I mean by non-shared is that the resort, SSR and OKW are 100% DVC. The other DVC properties were add ons to non DVC resorts. The resorts amenities are shared between the DVC and CRO guests.

This refers to the stand-alone DVCs. For example BCV, BWV, and VWL all also have a "deluxe hotel" part of the resort and then the DVC part of the resort. OKW and SSR are just DVC.

What I mean by non-shared is that the resort, SSR and OKW are 100% DVC. The other DVC properties were add ons to non DVC resorts. The resorts amenities are shared between the DVC and CRO guests.

Thanks! I just couldn't figure out what was meant. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter