DVC Split Stay?

During our last trip we saw the value of being able to walk back to our resort when we stayed late at Epcot and saw the long line for the skyliner but at the same time we’ve been able to book Boardwalk without issue for the most part without much difficulty at 7 months. I actually had to stop myself from booking Boardwalk again recently because it would’ve been like.. our 3rd or 4th trip in a row that we didn’t stay at Riviera and we’re using our direct points on some of these stays LOL. It’s undeniable that BCV and BWV have the better location and I know this is a personal preference but we like the overall decor and size of the rooms at Riviera more so we were torn. The lack of a 3BR option at BC also gave us some pause but essentially the plan is to use our resale points at 7 months at BW primarily with RIV as a backup in case those waitlists don’t fill.

Just out of curiosity do you guys walk to HS then and back to BC? I grew up snowboarding so the skyliner never bothered me 😂
Funny thing…I also grew up riding gondolas in the mountains, but on our last trip they slowed or paused the Skyliner every time the wind blew! We don’t like not knowing when it would run again.

We take the boats to Hollywood Studios from Beach Club and back. It’s so relaxing!

I never foresee us needing three bedrooms, so that doesn’t bother me at all. But if we want more space, we will stay at BLT.

Funny thing…I also grew up riding gondolas in the mountains, but on our last trip they slowed or paused the Skyliner every time the wind blew! We don’t like not knowing when it would run again.

We take the boats to Hollywood Studios from Beach Club and back. It’s so relaxing!

I never foresee us needing three bedrooms, so that doesn’t bother me at all. But if we want more space, we will stay at BLT.
Ahh I see. My partner gets motion sickness from the boats and doesn’t like the loud engine noise which is part of the reason why we didn’t buy into Copper Creek. I think we’ve been pretty fortunate with the skyliner where over our past 10 trips we’ve had the skyliner be delayed once for about 10 minutes.

We’re doing a sort of mega family trip next year.. I’ll have 5 nights booked in a RIV Grand Villa and 2 2BRs over the same time period. I don’t see us regularly needing this much space at ALL but it is nice to have the option to keep everyone in the Epcot area since thats where most of the events will be.

I love a nice split stay though have to say I have never bothered to purchase points with the express purpose of it. To me it's fun because it feels like I'm taking two vacations instead of one. I will say make sure your whole family is on board. My wife doesn't love split stays because she likes to fully unpack and bring a LOT of stuff, so she's not as keen because of that.

I love a nice split stay though have to say I have never bothered to purchase points with the express purpose of it. To me it's fun because it feels like I'm taking two vacations instead of one. I will say make sure your whole family is on board. My wife doesn't love split stays because she likes to fully unpack and bring a LOT of stuff, so she's not as keen because of that.
Change your wife. 😁 (kidding) Mine is happy to restrict herself to carry-on luggage only so we can whisk through the airport. You know that I wont be needing extra space for knick-knacks to bring home!

Anyone buy two DVC contracts for less than a full trip's worth of points with the plan of staying 3-4 nights at each consecutively (split stay)?

We have done a few trips and really like starting out at Contemporary and moving to Beach Club after our MK days. Walking to MK and then being able to enjoy Epcot, boats to Studios and the Bay Lake area while walking home at the end of the day has become very valued by us.

I started looking at DVC resale contracts and got to thinking maybe 2 separate ones (BLT & BCV) with enough points for 3-4 days a year, each, could be coupled together for a nice split stay similar to what we have been doing at CR & BC.

We have access to SOG for ticket purchases, would not be going more than 1 time per year. Immediate drawback that I thought of is having to coordinate 2 bookings at 11 months instead of 1, so I figured I'd post here and ask for feedback from some more experienced folks. Thanks!
We didn't buy with that intent but have been doing split stays for several years for reasons similar to what you noted. We have 255 points at BLT and 55 at SSR. I normally book BLT at the 11 month window and then adjust the reservation at the 7 month window. We like to do BLT + BCV or BWV. We're fans of being able to walk to the Parks. Being able to walk back to BLT after MK closes and not wait for a bus is glorious. We've all been on those buses after Parks close, barely able to function and then having to stand! :rotfl2:

Anyone buy two DVC contracts for less than a full trip's worth of points with the plan of staying 3-4 nights at each consecutively (split stay)?

We have done a few trips and really like starting out at Contemporary and moving to Beach Club after our MK days. Walking to MK and then being able to enjoy Epcot, boats to Studios and the Bay Lake area while walking home at the end of the day has become very valued by us.

I started looking at DVC resale contracts and got to thinking maybe 2 separate ones (BLT & BCV) with enough points for 3-4 days a year, each, could be coupled together for a nice split stay similar to what we have been doing at CR & BC.

We have access to SOG for ticket purchases, would not be going more than 1 time per year. Immediate drawback that I thought of is having to coordinate 2 bookings at 11 months instead of 1, so I figured I'd post here and ask for feedback from some more experienced folks. Thanks!
SSR & AKV. We done the split stay thing several times.

We almost exclusively do split stays based on site amenities, dining, and park proximity. We typically stay BCV/RIV during our Epcot/HS days and Poly/WL/GFV for our MK days. We also throw AKL in for rest days or AK park days if we are staying for longer. We try to rotate resorts each trip.

Right now we book mostly 7 months or less out and split stays in 1 BR’s work well for us. With my job I don’t have predicability to book farther out than that unless it’s over Christmas break.

We own at Poly and RIV knowing in 10 years I’ll have moved on from my current career (military) and will be able to maximize booking windows for each property during hard to book seasons.

We will be doing our first split stay in August.
BLT 5 nights
BWV 4 nights

We do not plan to walk to the parks but that is because it is August. At a different time of the year, we would walk.

I think it will be great, but my wife is apprehensive.

Split stays can really enhance the Disney experience, especially with your favorite resorts. Coordinating two bookings might seem a bit daunting, but if you're organized, it shouldn't be too much hassle.

We scraped a 7 night vacation over the last Christmas and ended up in 4 different rooms. We ended to finding cheap airfare last minute. We overcommitted for sure but we did a 2BR at VGF, studio at VGF, 1 BR at Boulder ridge on Christmas and a couple nights at poly.

I think we decided 2-3 is our max for the future but it worked out and we checked off a few rooms off our wanted to stay list. BR over Christmas was by far one of the best stays we’ve had on points and something our kids will remember for a long time.

We will be doing our first split stay in August.
BLT 5 nights
BWV 4 nights

We do not plan to walk to the parks but that is because it is August. At a different time of the year, we would walk.

I think it will be great, but my wife is apprehensive.
We did that same split last year and it was late July/beginning of August. We made use of the pools each day and drank significant amounts of water each day. We walked to HS and EPCOT and MK. Leaving HS we used the Skyliner. It was hot even in the morning when we were getting to the Parks art rope drop.

We scraped a 7 night vacation over the last Christmas and ended up in 4 different rooms. We ended to finding cheap airfare last minute. We overcommitted for sure but we did a 2BR at VGF, studio at VGF, 1 BR at Boulder ridge on Christmas and a couple nights at poly.

I think we decided 2-3 is our max for the future but it worked out and we checked off a few rooms off our wanted to stay list. BR over Christmas was by far one of the best stays we’ve had on points and something our kids will remember for a long time.
Years ago we had to modify our reservation because of a school event for my oldest daughter. Through herculean efforts, we got everything switched. It was 3 different resorts but it opened us up to split stays and let us enjoy some resorts that we probably wouldn't have booked otherwise. We stayed AKL-Kidani, then Club Level at WL and finally VWL. It was one room too many for our liking but ewe now routinely do a split stay between 2 resorts.

We did a split this year with GF and Boardwalk based on what was available, the Monorail loop is nice but a lot more to do at the Boardwalk. In case no one has ever done it, you leave your bags at the desk and go the parks and they transfer to the next hotel so there is no inconvenience.

We did a split this year with GF and Boardwalk based on what was available, the Monorail loop is nice but a lot more to do at the Boardwalk. In case no one has ever done it, you leave your bags at the desk and go the parks and they transfer to the next hotel so there is no inconvenience.
Boardwalk will be even more enjoyable once the construction is done on the Cake Bake Shop, if it's not already.

Years ago we had to modify our reservation because of a school event for my oldest daughter. Through herculean efforts, we got everything switched. It was 3 different resorts but it opened us up to split stays and let us enjoy some resorts that we probably wouldn't have booked otherwise. We stayed AKL-Kidani, then Club Level at WL and finally VWL. It was one room too many for our liking but ewe now routinely do a split stay between 2 resorts.

I think 2 resorts is the sweet spot for most stays but as newer DVC owners our kids want to try all of the resorts available so we will end up booking anything we haven’t stayed before if I can find 2+ nights.

Our next stay in JUL is 3 night BCV 1BR, 2 nights CCV 1BR and 3 nights Riv studio preferred for 8 total nights.

The longer stay made 3 resorts within reach. Our boys are 13, 9 and 2 so the older ones pack up and move fairly easily and don’t require much for packing. The toddler is a different story 🤪

Reactions: CVG
So many quotes.. lol

I thought that's how you do it. I can't imagine staying in one place for a whole trip.!! ;)

It wouldn't be across contracts. Let's say you buy two contracts: 50 pts @ BCV and 50 pts @ BLT and don't want to do the split stay.

Year 1: Use 100 pts to stay at BVC by borrowing 50 BVC pts from Year 2
Year 2: Use 100 pts to stay at BLT by banking 50 BLT pts from Year 1
This is the way... work that system.!!

We almost always to the split stays. For us, it's Animal Kingdom Lodge and Beach Club Villas - a perfect mix for what we do. And yes, the walk to and from the International Gateway entrance to so nice! We enjoy the EP festivals, and that's a perfect location. You also have an amazing pool with Stormalong Bay.
AKV and BCV a perfect combo!

Split stays are the best.
Agree, but i can't help but want to add an MK resort.

BLT 5 nights
BWV 4 nights
3 way is the way. 8-)

I think 2 resorts is the sweet spot for most stays but as newer DVC owners our kids want to try all of the resorts available so we will end up booking anything we haven’t stayed before if I can find 2+ nights.

Our next stay in JUL is 3 night BCV 1BR, 2 nights CCV 1BR and 3 nights Riv studio preferred for 8 total nights.

The longer stay made 3 resorts within reach. Our boys are 13, 9 and 2 so the older ones pack up and move fairly easily and don’t require much for packing. The toddler is a different story 🤪
I'm pretty new at this, but I think 8 nights or less, 2 resorts is perfect, but if you can get 9 nights or more (3 nights per resort), its even better adding the 3rd park area, & not bad if you don't have a ton to pack up.

Toddlers will be toddlers! Lol. Nice assortment of resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter