DVC temporary policy rooms now between 4pm and 6pm?

I think 4pm is already behind the industry standard of 3pm and anyone having to wait after 4pm is unacceptable in everyway when your paying such a premium.

I know people will never hear a bad word said about Disney but getting rooms ready for a set time is not rocket science and it isn't some sort of miracle if they get it done before 4pm.

I know people will never hear a bad word said about Disney
Have you read these boards or other Disney sites lately? LOL. It seems lately it is much easier to find "bad words said about Disney" rather than positive things, especially since early 2020.

That said, as others have said on this thread I think rooms being available after 4:00 is the exception.

I think 4pm is already behind the industry standard of 3pm
Not for timeshares. Timeshare checkin times of 4 PM (or later - we couldn't check in until 6:00 PM at Massanutten!) are pretty routine, because of the extra time needed to clean units that are essentially apartments with kitchens and living areas, not just bedrooms and bathrooms.

Not for timeshares. Timeshare checkin times of 4 PM (or later - we couldn't check in until 6:00 PM at Massanutten!) are pretty routine, because of the extra time needed to clean units that are essentially apartments with kitchens and living areas, not just bedrooms and bathrooms.

This. 1000 times this.

If we're talking industry standards, for hotels average occupancy is around 65%. Fewer rooms to clean each day, and many that are already clean because they were unused the night before.

Timeshare occupancy is 100%. It's a different animal.

This. 1000 times this.

If we're talking industry standards, for hotels average occupancy is around 65%. Fewer rooms to clean each day, and many that are already clean because they were unused the night before.

Timeshare occupancy is 100%. It's a different animal.
Most timeshare occupancy is near 100%?
Does DVC have the highest occupancy rate?

I think 4pm is already behind the industry standard of 3pm and anyone having to wait after 4pm is unacceptable in everyway when your paying such a premium.

I know people will never hear a bad word said about Disney but getting rooms ready for a set time is not rocket science and it isn't some sort of miracle if they get it done before 4pm.

For timeshares? Nah.

Believe it or not, saying "this is what to expect, and you will only hurt your own feelings if you EXPECT your room to be ready AT 4pm" is not actually cheerleading for Disney.

It's being very clear about what they themselves say in online checkin, and it's an attempt to help people.

Go to other things. Have fun. Put things in your carryon that you'll need to have a great arrival day, and have so much dang fun that you don't even miss the room.

And then if you get the room early, you can be happy, instead of being angry for not getting the room AT 4pm.

Most timeshare occupancy is near 100%?
Does DVC have the highest occupancy rate?

The entire foundation of a timeshare is near 100% occupancy.

In the traditional timeshare model, developers would sell ownership in 1-week increments. For every unit they built, they would sell 51 weeks per year to owners, leaving the remaining week for annual maintenance. That one room plays host to 51 different parties over the course of the year, with one group arriving hours after the prior occupants depart. Rooms only sit empty when an owner chooses to not use their time.

Today most timeshares are point based, but the concept is the same. Every Theme Park View Resort Studio that DVC builds at VGF equals about 11,300 points. They hold back about 200 points (2%) for maintenance, and sell the other 11,100. If every owner is using their points, then the resort is booked to 98% occupancy year-round (with the other 2% rooms legitimately out of service for new carpet, painting, etc.)

In reality there is a little wiggle room because people do actually let DVC points expire unused. Banking and borrowing provisions add some flexibility, along with the ability to book non home locations (not every VGF owner is using their exact annual allotment at VGF.)

If there are any vacancies in the system, they're most frequently found at the larger resorts like SSR, OKW and AKV. Most DVC owners know from experience that 7 month availability can be sparse at many resorts virtually year-round. When there's nothing left to book, the resort is full.

Yes, hopefully it will expand to more resorts soon. Last weekend we left at 3:00 a.m. but we didn't let anybody know because it didn't seem worth the effort at that time of day. If we could have checked out via MDE we would have and they would have known they could clean the room as soon as mousekeeping started working.

And that's the key. I am not sure if Disney is interested or not, but MOST of us I think are more than happy to signal Disney when we are done with the room if we can do it conveniently so that they can get it ready for the next owner. Believe it or not, we actually WANT to be part of the solution.

Not everyone, but I think a significant number.

And that's the key. I am not sure if Disney is interested or not, but MOST of us I think are more than happy to signal Disney when we are done with the room if we can do it conveniently so that they can get it ready for the next owner. Believe it or not, we actually WANT to be part of the solution.

Agree. Assuming they have a process in place to communicate this departure info to housekeeping, I'd like to think most people would embrace the potential to reduce 8am door knocks on check-out day.

Agree. Assuming they have a process in place to communicate this departure info to housekeeping, I'd like to think most people would embrace the potential to reduce 8am door knocks on check-out day.
I was going to say how stupid it would be to make this feature and not use it to notify housekeeping, but yeah, Disney…so yes, hopefully they do that.

Yep. I always let the front desk know we are leaving. Even when we leave the resort at 5:30am (like our last trip in February) to head to the airport, I stop by the front desk to let them know we are out of the room.

Last edited:
BCV front desk today said the villas are "guaranteed" by 5. 🤣 So at 5 I asked again nicely for an update and they found a room immediately. My original assignment was not ready and I said we would take anything.

BCV front desk today said the villas are "guaranteed" by 5. 🤣 So at 5 I asked again nicely for an update and they found a room immediately. My original assignment was not ready and I said we would take anything.
Guaranteed in that at 5:01 they'll pick up the tab at Cape May? 🤣

Got to RIV at noon and they found me a room ready. They then called me around 4 pm to ask if I’d like an upgrade since they needed the 1 bedroom I had been given…so little ole me is in a 2 bedroom!
Interesting that they didn’t just upgrade the other party - they must not be RIV owners!

Interesting that they didn’t just upgrade the other party - they must not be RIV owners!

I am only here the one night and it’s a dedicated 2 bedroom and that was a 1 bedroom lock off. So wonder if it had to do with that. They said something like we have to use that room? So maybe it wasn’t even for guests? Definitely was strange! Too bad it wasn’t July when there will be three of us! Lol

I’ve noticed through the years w/ cash stays that really short stays tend to get upgraded more - they probably needed the 1 br. for a longer stay & the 2 br. for a longer stay starting the day Sandisw checks out. Room assignments are a giant jigsaw puzzle w/ many moving parts I’d imagine.

I am only here the one night and it’s a dedicated 2 bedroom and that was a 1 bedroom lock off. So wonder if it had to do with that. They said something like we have to use that room? So maybe it wasn’t even for guests? Definitely was strange! Too bad it wasn’t July when there will be three of us! Lol

I’ve noticed through the years w/ cash stays that really short stays tend to get upgraded more - they probably needed the 1 br. for a longer stay & the 2 br. for a longer stay starting the day Sandisw checks out. Room assignments are a giant jigsaw puzzle w/ many moving parts I’d imagine.
I know, I know - just wanted Sandi to feel special!

If DVD would put a 3 day minimum stay, you will see this problem disappear, and a big drop in dues. Housekeeping is the largest cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter