Early Bird Check In Southwest

LynnB

Mouseketeer
My group of 6 is flying southwest tomorrow to Orlando. I purchased early bird check-in for each person in the group. We didn't all purchase together so I had 3 separate reservations. I checked in and got our boarding passes this morning and we all have really high B numbers (B 38 39 40 51 52 59). I realize an A is not guaranteed with early bird but wasn't expecting such high numbers. What are my chances of getting 3 seats together so we can have 1 adult with the kids?

* I also posted this in the Southwest thread. Wasn't sure it would be seen there so reposted here. *

Last edited:
My group of 6 is flying southwest tomorrow to Orlando. I purchased early bird check-in for each person in the group. We didn't all purchase together so I had 3 separate reservations. I checked in and got our boarding passes this morning and we all have really high B numbers (B 38 39 40 51 52 59). I realize an A is not guaranteed with early bird but wasn't expecting such high numbers. What are my chances of getting 3 seats together so we can have 1 adult with the kids?
You should be fine with B seating. Probably back of the plane. C are the ones that usually have to split up.

How old are the children? Family boarding occurs after A group.

From SW site......
Family boarding is available
Families traveling with children six years or younger may board before the "B" boarding group.

There's no cap on the number of EBCI purchasers, so it's sort of a crap shoot. Think of what your boarding numbers would have been if you DIDN'T buy it!

How old are the children? Family boarding occurs after A group.

From SW site......
Family boarding is available
Families traveling with children six years or younger may board before the "B" boarding group.
the kids are 9. I did the early bird thinking it would take the worry out of the equation. going to hope for the best.

How do the numbers work?

Is it A 1-40 than B-410 etc. Or do the numbers reset like A 1-40 and B -40 etc.. just trying to figure out how far back I really am. thanks!

Definitely line up in your boarding positions. Have the 3 boarding at B38, 39, and 40 save 2 rows between the 3 of them for the others that will board at 51, 52 and 59. There should be a couple rows still open in the back at the B38 position.

There are 60 per group, A1-A60, B1-B60. C1-end. Hopefully being a flight to Orlando there won't be many in the A1-A15 slot (business select) but you do have to contend with family boarding between A and B (if they have it).

It may not do any good, but I'd ask if you could board with family boarding. I'd be a tad annoyed if I paid for early bird and then couldn't find seats together with the kids.

If it makes you feel better, I totally forgot to check in Sunday for a totally full flight MCO-MDW and got C14 and son and I still found 2 seats together in the back. :) What's your kid to adult ratio? 2:1? I'd say worst case scenario you'd have one kid across the aisle from you, but still totally in adult eyeball and voice range. I manage to forget to check in frequently and always prepare my kid that we probably won't be sitting together... and yet we always end up sitting together. On the other hand, I flew alone one time on a 4 hour flight and ended up with a kid sitting in the middle seat next to me who wasn't mine and he was about 7 or 8 and his Mom was a few aisle away. It was fine. I gave him my iPhone to entertain himself on the very long flight and he drained my battery. He also ate all my candy and gum. I'm still befuddled as to why the Mom didn't bring him some food and entertainment or something, anything. I was happily flying child-free for once and instead got a foster kid for the flight. So, in the unlikely event that you're not seated together, prepare your kids in advance and have them carrying their own in flight entertainment and snacks so they can be self-sufficient. :flower3:

I flew alone one time on a 4 hour flight and ended up with a kid sitting in the middle seat next to me who wasn't mine and he was about 7 or 8 and his Mom was a few aisle away. It was fine. I gave him my iPhone to entertain himself on the very long flight and he drained my battery. He also ate all my candy and gum. I'm still befuddled as to why the Mom didn't bring him some food and entertainment or something, anything. I was happily flying child-free for once and instead got a foster kid for the flight. So, in the unlikely event that you're not seated together, prepare your kids in advance and have them carrying their own in flight entertainment and snacks so they can be self-sufficient. :flower3:

LOL on the "foster kid" for the flight. :rotfl2:

Can I ask when you bought the EBCI ? Did you buy it when you bought the tix or at a later date ?? And I agree if you buy EBCI you should board before family boarding.

If it makes you feel better, I totally forgot to check in Sunday for a totally full flight MCO-MDW and got C14 and son and I still found 2 seats together in the back. :) What's your kid to adult ratio? 2:1? I'd say worst case scenario you'd have one kid across the aisle from you, but still totally in adult eyeball and voice range. I manage to forget to check in frequently and always prepare my kid that we probably won't be sitting together... and yet we always end up sitting together. On the other hand, I flew alone one time on a 4 hour flight and ended up with a kid sitting in the middle seat next to me who wasn't mine and he was about 7 or 8 and his Mom was a few aisle away. It was fine. I gave him my iPhone to entertain himself on the very long flight and he drained my battery. He also ate all my candy and gum. I'm still befuddled as to why the Mom didn't bring him some food and entertainment or something, anything. I was happily flying child-free for once and instead got a foster kid for the flight. So, in the unlikely event that you're not seated together, prepare your kids in advance and have them carrying their own in flight entertainment and snacks so they can be self-sufficient. :flower3:

Thanks, that gives me hope! We have 4 adults and 2 kids. I just want the 2 kids together with 1 adult. Everyone else can sit wherever.

Thanks, that gives me hope! We have 4 adults and 2 kids. I just want the 2 kids together with 1 adult. Everyone else can sit wherever.
You will be fine. I wouldn't spend another brain cell worrying about it. I'm sure others do as well but I have flown SWA a lot over the last several years.

Can I ask when you bought the EBCI ? Did you buy it when you bought the tix or at a later date ?? And I agree if you buy EBCI you should board before family boarding.

I purchased the tix and early bird at the same time. I bought the tix at different times as our party get growing but each time I purchased a ticket 1 also got the EB. Part of my worry is that we are two families traveling together. I made all the arrangements. Got a great rate w. Southwest and figured with EB getting seats together wouldn't be an issue.

I actually called SWA this afternoon just to verify that my seats had been assigned via EB. I'm new to this thought maybe when I checked in to print our passes I messed something up. But no, this is what we got w. EB. I did ask if flight was full and he said no there were appx 10 unsold seats yet.. wish me luck!

Last edited:
We've gotten high numbers like that and have always sat together in the back of the plane.

I have never had more than 2-4 people on my flights to Orlando in the A1-A15 section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter