Easter Dinner menu??

I am the odd ball. We don't do Ham ... come to think of it we don't do Turkey for Thanksgiving!!

It's just DH and I for the last few holidays (except Christmas) so we make what we like!! We have Prime Rib with garlic mashed potatoes, a veggies (don't know yet), dinner rolls and salad.

We might have another couple over this year. I am hoping to find out so that I can buy a big enough Rib Roast tomorrow.

I need a desert idea. Nothing too difficult. I don't want to spend the day cooking, I don't have the energy for that. The Roast is easy to do. The potatoes I can do the night before and then just bake them to heat them up the next day. Veggies are easy and the rolls are easy!!! I usually do popovers but again, no energy!!!

For dessert we usually have pound cake and fresh whipped cream (not in the tub, whip it yourself, makes a huge difference) and fresh fruit.. If you have a Safeway grocery store near by, check out the sweet bakers cream (in the refrigerated section with the milk) I've never seen it anything like it anywhere else, it makes the best whip cream and you don't have to sweeten it.

I am looking for something different for dessert this year too, since we've had this the last few years. Hopefully I won't have a mutiny on my hands if I change it :)

For dinner.. some years I do both Turkey and Ham.. sometimes just ham. This might be a both Turkey and Ham year, since DH adimantly doesn't want ham. We assign sides to different family members to make and bring:

- grilled asparagus (seasoned with olive oil and sea salt) - DH
- string beans - me
- potatoes - cousin
- stuffing - me
- Patty LaBells over the rainbow mac and cheese (we only make it once a year, but it's so good!) - cousin
- coleslaw - my gram's family tradition
- glazed carrots -great aunt
- Breads - usually irish soda bread - aunt
- Vegetable - one of my cousins makes a veggie casserole thing
- Wine - everyone brings wine!

We don't do the ham sandwhich thing.. usually we have enough leftovers that we don't even make sandwhiches with leftovers.

Okay.. I took today off from work to get ready for Easter.. I better get to it! :rotfl:

--Heather

I have to question whether that would work for more than turning the outside a pale pink. You see, I'm PA Dutch & we love red beet aka pickled eggs. One of the main complaints everyone has is that it takes too long for the egg whites to turn pink all the way through. It usually takes at least a day for even the outside to turn a dark pink/red.

As for the taste...we pickle ours and it takes 4 or 5 days before they really have a good "pickle" taste. So a quick dip wouldn't give them any taste I'd think.

My grandmother used to add red food coloring to the juice to get them dark. She also said that heating the juice first U putting the eggs in hot made them take the color faster/better.

ETA: I forgot to ask...would you post the recipe for stuffing them with crab? That sounds awesome!! :teeth:

I think I will use the food coloring instead of the beet juice after all.
Here is the recipe:

Crab Stuffed Deviled Eggs:
12 large eggs
2 cups crab meat
1 tsp. vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 T. Old Bay seasoning
1/2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
Dash garlic powder
Dash Tabasco sauce

Hard boil the eggs, then peel and slice lengthwise. Crush yolks with fork in medium bowl until fairly smooth. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add crab meat and vinegar. Mix together. Then add remaining ingredients except for the egg yolks, and mix again. Sprinkle garlic powder to taste, and add dash of Tabasco sauce. Add egg yolks and mix for final time. Place mixture (heaping) in each egg half. Can sprinkle with parsley. Chill & enjoy! Note: sometimes there is enough left over to spread on crackers or melba toast.

We are having lamb, roasted asparagus, scalloped potatoes, and ????. I need another side item, but I can't think of anything. Any ideas? For dessert it's cheesecake with fresh strawberries.

I always like carrots for easter. A quick one is "Cottontail Carrots" from allrecipes.com. It can be done in the microwave to free more oven space/time too.

Regarding the Pineapple Stuffing/Scalloped Pineapple recipe - Does anyone know how many it serves? Even though it is cooked in a 9 x 13 pan, it doesn't sound like it serves all that many.....? I've noticed some of the recipes call for eggs, and some don't. Hmmm........

I'm baking my friend Jacque's Honey Ham for the main course. We'll also have deviled eggs, potato salad, asparagus, rolls, and some sort of fruit. I haven't figured out dessert yet.

BTW - I made the Pineapple Stuffing and it was fantastic! Got raves on it.
I upped the sugar and butter a bit as I was using the 20 oz. can of pineapple. I also added a sprinkle of cinnamon. Definately a keeper.:thumbsup2

My Pinapple stuffing recipe has more butter but less eggs. There was a question about serving immdeiately. You can but it is just as good room temperate.... I also like it cold the next morning as a breakfast treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter