Eastern Beaches

preb

DIS Veteran
Wondering if anyone can tell me about the beach in St Maarten where the water taxis drop you off. Do they have umbrellas and chairs for rent and what is the cost? Is there food and drinks readily available? Restrooms? We're really just looking for a place for our DD who's 4 to play in the sand and get her feet wet.

Also, has anyone rented a car for the day in St Thomas? Is there a rental agency close to the pier? Do you remember the cost? Any suggestions for a beach with the same requirements as St Maarten? Any other suggested sights to see if we're driving around?

Boy, I'm just full of questions tonight!

Thanks!:p

Well we went to Orient Beach in St. Maarten, but saw quite few people at Great Bay beach. I do believe you can rent chairs and umbrellas for a charge. Do not know about food options. The water taxi from the ship is $5.00 per person all day up to 6 pm when the service stops. Make sure you are on the last water taxi back or you will have to take a cab back to the ship.

We saw quite a few sights at Orient Beach (Bikini Beach Club). We have been there before so knew what it was all about....but, some people just do not look in the mirror before they decide to shed all their clothing!!!

Another really funny thing was 3 middle aged, hefty (being polite) type guys came to the beach then stripped down to their THONG, yes THONG bathing suits. It was quite funny because you knew there were doing this as a joke!!! It must have been a surprise for everyone in their party because all you heard was peals of laughter and hysterics along with "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU REALLY DID THIS!!" when they pranced down the beach into the water!!! They were the hit of the beach and eventually started posing for photographs!!!

MJ

Originally posted by mmouse37

Another really funny thing was 3 middle aged, hefty (being polite) type guys came to the beach then stripped down to their THONG, yes THONG bathing suits. It was quite funny because you knew there were doing this as a joke!!! It must have been a surprise for everyone in their party because all you heard was peals of laughter and hysterics along with "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU REALLY DID THIS!!" when they pranced down the beach into the water!!! They were the hit of the beach and eventually started posing for photographs!!!

MJ

I hope Buckaroo's Dad reads this!!!

I'm in hysterics already. Now that takes a darn good sense of humor and even better sense of adventure!

Also, if you want a good deal - ask a CM where they go when they go on the islands. Lots of good information available for the asking!!!

Rae

d'ya think BD would pose in his thong for us?? ONLY KIDDING!!!!
Hopefully someone on your cruise will send us their pictures BD!!!

Jeanny :wave: :teeth:

OHHH, now that's a thought!!!

Rae

We are renting a car in St. Thomas. There were 3 or four places to rent from. The only one I felt comfortable renting from was Budget. I haven't rented a car in almost 8 years, so I thought the price was a bit much. $60 per day for a small sedan. We are planning on doing Paradise Point tramway & then driving to Megan's Bay. Blackbeard's castle is supposed to be on the island also. If dd will nap in the car, I think we will search for that. The rental place is supposed to be really close to the docks (maybe a block or 2). When we get back, I will try to post & let you know how it went.

Both times we rented with Avis and were very pleased with the results. In St. Thomas, the Avis location is just across the road from the mall where you dock -- about a 5-7 minute walk (so is Budget). We paid just under $60 for what was supposed to be a Cavalier and were upgraded to a complimentary Jeep. What a treat! Very clean and professional, and the cars in both cases were in very good shape.

On St. Marrten, we REALLY enjoyed Dawn Beach, just by Scavengers beach front bar and grill. Good food and nice snorkeling just off the shore.

On St. Thomas, we had to work harder to find a nice beach. Went to Maagens Bay. Yes, it's pretty, but we thought over-rated. Then to Coki Beach, which was OK, if you didn't pay any attention to the dumpy side of the street where you had to park and could get over the fact it borders a cemetary -- which, like most sea-level locations, is above ground. We never found it till we took a wrong turn returning the car -- but the Frenchman's beaches near the Marriott looked spectacular. Next time, I think we'll try to make it to St. John's. Oh, and you really do have to pay attention to street/directional signs in St. Thomas, and read the handy tip sheet for driving on the left with a left-hand drive. It is easy to take a wrong turn, wrongly ;)

Have fun!

Thanks for all of your great tips!

When you rented the cars, did you make arrangements in advance or has anyone just shown up that day?

Is Great Bay Beach the name of the beach where the water taxis drop you in St Maarten? I'm still hoping someone knows if there are food and restrooms readily available. With a 4 year old, both are a requirement!

We also went to Megans Bay last week and thought it was over rated....I also did not like the fact that when you rented a beach chair (no umbrellas) you had to pay for the chair plus leave a $5.00 depost per chair and a $7.00 deposit per float on top of the rental charge!!! They do not even bring the chair to you...you have to go to the gift shop to hand over your money and then bring a slip of paper to the garage where the chairs are and drag your own down the beach. The repeat the process to get your deposit back.

Their attitudes just turned me off. Do they honestly think people are stealing the beach chairs and floats to lug back to the cruise ship!!!! I think it is because they do not want to have to pick up all the chairs at the end of the day so by charging a deposit, people are bringing the chairs to them so they have less work!! I did not like the facilities either. When we went to St. Thomas other times on DCL we always went to Sapphire Beach Club and I prefer it much better. The restrooms are nicer and has a pool, plus the beach is spectacular and they have chairs and umbrellas for rent with friendly personnel!!!

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter