Easy to grow flowering plants for deck/patio

perd

DIS Veteran
I have a black thumb. I can grow impatiens just fine. In fact, I have a hard time killing them. And I have daylilies in my yard and they do fine without any help from me. But I would like to have some large potted plants on my deck (strong sun other than morning) and on my front porch/patio (only a few hours of sun in the morning). Can you help me? I really am terrible. Someone suggested geraniums but I have tried geraniums before and the petals all fell off. Don't know what I did wrong. I need something as easy as impatiens, but different. Someone also suggested lavender, begonias and fuschia. Aren't begonias old lady looking flowers? I don't know what fuschias are...

I like those big patio tropical looking plants with the huge flowers but I'm afraid I'd kill them. I had miniature roses one year in a pot and they did very well; maybe I'll try that again. I love azaleas but I kill them every time I buy some.

if you can grow impatients i don't see why you can't grow other things...what kind of pots are you using? if it is really sunny and you are using terra cotta( clay) pots you probably will have to water them every day in hot weather. and somethings you have to pick off the dead flowers to keep them blooming. maybe go to a local nursery and see what is indigenous to your area, that way it would be suited for your climate. id you want something big how about some pretty colored grasses for the sunny area..or maybe some nice ferns in the shady area. impatiens grow good in shade, fushias
IMG_0121.jpg
look kind of like fairy plants to me and do good in shade , this is one blossom and they kind of droop down so they look good in hanging baskets ( sorry the photo is awful)but you have to watch anything you put in a pot to make sure you keep it watered in hot hot weather unless you get soil that has that water retaining medium in it( it will say it does on the bag)
how about elephant ears or other caladiums( although i think they might be poisonous if you have little kids. they are very tropical looking. http://www.caladiumsonline.com/planting.htm
just thinking with the geraniums, the petals fall off when the flower dies then new buds come...you knew that probably but just a thought.

Petunias are pretty hardy and easy to grow in pots. Begonia have come a long way and do well with minimal interference. I found some beautiful orange begonias that I just LOVE.

Also, dahlias are just wonderful and easy to grow too. So are geraniums...you just have to break off the dead stems to keep them from sucking life out of the living stems....good advice for any novice gardener!

How about a huge fern plant? I saw some at our Giant supermarket today that were up to my hip and only 11.99 each! They look elegant on a front porch in a pretty copper or black pot.

I also love my marigolds...they are super simple to grow.

Good Luck!

I swear by portulaca every summer...they are extremely difficult to kill, and if you get one of the mixes (like the sundial mix), they'll bloom in several colors like lt. pink, hot pink, dark coral, yellow, orange, white, purple, etc. If you forget to water them, they don't care. Full sun? They don't care. Ridiculous heat? Still don't care. They're great in pots and as ground cover, and are one of the plants I make sure to buy every summer. :goodvibes

PortulacaMargarita.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter