ECV Age requirement?

azamaney

Earning My Ears
Hi, I've read on Disney's website that you must be 18 to rent/use an ECV in the parks. Do you know if there would be an issue if we rented outside the park or brought our own ECV? My daughter is 16 and would need an ECV to allow her to get around the parks.

If you own the ECV and they use it then I think at 16 disney would allow it. Just remember that it is much harder to drive an ECV at Disney with all the people walk g in front of you so you ( your DD) will have to pay attention at all times. Some rental companies will rent to older teens on a case by case basis

Disney will not rent to an under-18 user. Most of the off-site vendors will not rent if the user is under age 18. I believe it may be related to contract law (someone under age 18 technically can't sign a rental contract), though I'm not sure. There is 1 vendor (Randy's Mobility) that will sometimes rent to an older teen, especially if they use an ECV at home.

If you/she has her own ECV, she is welcome to use that in the parks.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hi, I've read on Disney's website that you must be 18 to rent/use an ECV in the parks. Do you know if there would be an issue if we rented outside the park or brought our own ECV? My daughter is 16 and would need an ECV to allow her to get around the parks.

be prepared to prove it is hers for daily use. off site rentals are just as strict.

be prepared to prove it is hers for daily use. off site rentals are just as strict.

How would someone "prove" that the ECV is theirs? Aside from a purchase receipt, there is no registration or licensing of personal mobility devices like there is for automobiles/trucks/buses, etc.

I guess I could "prove" my ECV is mine because I have modified it with lights and accessories, but aside from taking my word, I carry no proof of ownership regarding my personal ECV.

Most Disney Security CMs would likely see a 16 year old in an ECV with her parent(s) and instinctively know that it was required for health purposes - I have yet to meet a 16 year old who wants to drive an ECV; if you see a teenager using a personal mobility device, it's because they *have to*, and not because they *want to* - especially if their parents are present. However, upon questioning it will quickly become clear to them that the OP's daughter requires the use of personal mobility device, and away they can go. It should not be a big deal at all.

I speak with authority as the mother of a (now former) teenager who SHOULD HAVE used her personal mobility device at WDW, and refused to because she wanted to be "like everyone else" and was tired of being "different". She especially didn't want boys to see her on an ECV (because when you are 16, romance is everywhere, as are cute boys LOL) because they wouldn't talk to her if they knew she needed one.

And yes, she now (as an adult) uses the device when she needs to.

@azamaney Let us know if you need information on flying with her personal ECV (or any other questions you may have) - lots of us around here regularly bring our personal ECVs to WDW! And :welcome: :)

I would take her's if you can. She is used to it, so it will be easier to navigate through the crowds.
Definitely.

When I drive another scooter, they feel like lumbering giants. They don't turn as well, their batteries, compared to mine, are terrible, and they don't have the speed that I have. (No I don't zoom around Disney. But when I am on open sidewalk, not near anyone, I will.)

How would someone "prove" that the ECV is theirs? Aside from a purchase receipt, there is no registration or licensing of personal mobility devices like there is for automobiles/trucks/buses, etc.

Aren't the rented ones plastered with advertising?

Aren't the rented ones plastered with advertising?
Yes.
It’s pretty easy to see which are rental ones.
Someone using their own or even a rental one doesn’t have to prove they are using it because of disability.
Anyone can be asked to slow down or drive more carefully if they are driving in an unsafe manner.

I know I saw one rental company that required the renter to be at least 18, but would allow the user to be as young as 24, IF they were told about it in advance. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the company.

Personally, if she has her own and you can bring it, I would, as she is already used to that one. But this does cone with the ceveat that it would make it through the day in the parks. Remember, an average guest will walk around 5 miles a day at Disney World. If she would need a DAS, you should add a couple extra miles unless someone else will do all of the running for return times. If you plan on doing park hopping, add another couple of miles. Just something to consider.

Overall though if it is her own scooter, at 16, security most likely won't even question how old she is unless she looks really young for her age.

Huh? No one makes you prove your ECV is for your daily use or that you even use one in your daily life, that would actually violate ADA, as many people don't need one daily, but do in unique places like Disney World.

Randy’s Mobility requires the person paying for the rental to be over 18, but they will sometimes make exceptions for older teens or kids who use one at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter