ECV at WL and boat transportation

rkmassa

DIS Veteran
Has anyone experienced not being able to board the boat to MK with an ECV? We are planning for Dec., and my mom will be in an ECV. I have "heard" that ECVs might not be able to board the boat with certain water conditions. Any actual experience?

We have been there when the sign was up saying that the boat was not accessible at that time because of "changing water levels." We had a fairly light DD in her lightweight wheelchair, so we were able to lift her in the boat. We did ask at the desk what would happen if we couldn't get her on and the CMs there told us we could take the bus to the TTC or call and get Transportation to send a smaller wheelchair accessible bus for us.

They do use portable ramps, but sometimes the water level is too high or too low for the ramp to bridge the gap between the boat and the dock. The boat drivers also have some "tricks' for dealing with water levels. Like if they need the boat to be lower in the water to get it more level with the dock, they may ask all the guests to board before the wheelchair/ecv user so that their weight will lowerr the boat. Or they might ask all the guests to go to one side of the boat to make one side higher or lower.

rkmassa said:
Has anyone experienced not being able to board the boat to MK with an ECV? We are planning for Dec., and my mom will be in an ECV. I have "heard" that ECVs might not be able to board the boat with certain water conditions. Any actual experience?

You want to hear something funny. It happened to me. First, I didn't have any trouble boarding or unboarding any of the boat lauches or pontoon boats while I was at WDW. Sometimes I could drive right on the boat launch because the boat entrance was level with the dock.

I have been to WDW in the past when I have heard Castmembers say that they could not let a scooter board a boat launch at the dock of Wilderness Lodge because he said that the lake levels were so low with no rain for the past several weeks.

But I digress.

My funny story. Magic Kingdom had just closed, and I boarded the boat that was going from Magic Kingdom to Wilderness Lodge. I drove right on the boat with no ramp needed because the boat entrance was level with the Magic Kingdom dock.

The boat completely filled up.

We got to the Wilderness Lodge dock and because of the weight of all the passengers, the boat entrance was almost one foot lower than the dock.

I am not kidding. And he could not use the ramp because of the way the boat is designed. There is a wall, or stairway for the captain of the boat to go up and sit. So when you get on, you drive to the right around it, or to the left around it. Same when getting off. It's hard to explain since it is such a big boat.

With a standing room only crowd.

The Castmember told everyone to standup. Remember, this is after midnight, after Magic Kingdom closed. Everyone was exhausted.

A few people got up.

He again asked everyone to please standup and move to the left.

Everyone stand up...now move as far to the left side of the boat as you can.

Can you believe it...it raised the boat so that I could drive right off. It raised the boat over a foot.

That was a hoot!

So I guess anything can happen at WDW.

Everyone had a good laugh and applauded, including me.

I felt like tipping the Castmember...lol.

Have a great vacation and no worries.

Sincerely, Ray

That's a funny story. It's amazing the strange tricks that work.

At any rate, I'd just like to interject that there is a direct bus from WL to MK, so in the event that water levels are not cooperative, there's still a quick and direct option.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
That's a funny story. It's amazing the strange tricks that work.

At any rate, I'd just like to interject that there is a direct bus from WL to MK, so in the event that water levels are not cooperative, there's still a quick and direct option.

At the time, everyone on the boat just had a good time at MK and were enjoying a nice trip on the boat. Everyone was good natured about everthing.

Normally, I would have been very self conscious, but I was having a good time, too.

And the Castmember make it fun, fast, and easy.

I will say that when I got on that particular, very big boat launch that travelled from MK to WL, I drove straight on without the need for a ramp, and made a sight right turn and then straight ahead. I thought that I could drive around in a circle and head out when I got to WL.

I did drive around in a circle around the captain's metal tower thing, but when I got to the door, the turn to go out was too sharp. I had to continue around like I drove on, but then back up.

If I had to do it over again, and there was time, I would have backed in slightly turning to the right and backing up all the way to the other side, past the doorway to the front, outside seating area.

That way I could have driven straight out a lot easier and faster.

All the Castmembers were all very nice on all of the boats, buses and monorails.

And about 95% of the guests were all very nice and smiling.

You'll have a great vacation, and have a great time.

Sincerely, Ray

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter